Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pedal car Christmas Challenge for Poor kids.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dawai, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

HOW about a "challenge"?? I'm not rich by any means, but each year at Christmas time We give what I can to the poor kids in the area.
    I talked to them on the phone and got "special $7.99 shipping Promo code FR12E" Possibly I got a deal thou, it maybe a oversized item.

[​IMG]
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Comet-Pedal-Car-Assembly-Kit-Plain-Grey,66168.html
    Speedway Motors (oldest speed shop in USA)
    Plan is to pick this up Saturday delivery, paint "flames and black metalflake, some clear coat on it" then donate it to the Local Forgotten child fund. I figure I'll have four to six hours in it.

I get to practice more airbrush flames, I get to feel good giving something to a kid who may not get anything else for Christmas.

Anyone want to match or "better this" deal for the kids in your area? Don't have to be a purchased Item if you want to "make something creative".

I've seen more people eating out of dumpsters this year than any in my life. I know some of them have kids.

(also posted on Metalmeet.com)

2. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Great idea and a worthy cause friend.

3. It has been a tradition in my family ever since I was a kid to look around and find a couple of less fortunate familys in the community and make sure they have something for their children and themselves along with all the fixings for a traditional Christmas meal.

At one time we gave the family's cash but found out afterwards that one of the family's still went without after the father spent all the money on liquor.

This broke our heart and my dad never got over it and even confronted the man but it did change what had happened,,so dad went to the house after the holidays and took toys & gift certificates to the grocery store.

Mark,a member of the family who's father took away their Christmas that year also helps the needy during the Holidays.HRP

4. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I gave a kid a bicycle here, his father was doing some work on my privacy fence, the meth-dope head sold the kids bike the next day.

My wife has picked out a family with a 4 year old son, poor-lower class three children. We know the grand parents and they are getting this Pedal car to gift to the grandson. Everybody wins.

Now, all I have to do is not screw up the true-fire flames. (Iwata airbrush, House of Kolor true-fire air brush kit off ebay.) UC35 clear, hardener, thinner.

There are "Cheaper" pedal cars on ebay, $133 delivered. This one being a kit thou I won't have to slow down, disassemble, sand off paint and stickers. I can get back to my 57 project.

5. 500 single

500 single

We always pick a few tags off of the Christmas trees at the mall or one of the big box stores. (NOT Wal-Mart. I fucking HATE Wal-Mart) You know, the tags that have a kids name, gender and age on it. We don't actually get to meet the kid, but hopefully it brightens somebody's day. A tradition that my wife started early on when we were just dating.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Good thing to do for Christmas for the needy children . My wife and I usually get about 10 to 15 names from her company Christmas tree to buy things for children so they have something under the tree for Christmas . We have been doing that for many years .
    We also donate food to our local food bank as well for Thanksgiving and Christmas so people can have a holiday dinner as well . We also donate food for their pets that some of these families have too . We try to give some pet food to the local animal shelter too .
    It's bad enough people have to do without but I really hate to see young children not having toys under the tree for Christmas .

We are not rich by any means . I am on disability and only my wife works . Don't buy things like we use to but still try to share whenever possible to help someone out . Just never know if we might end up that one time !

Hope it turns out well for all who give at this time of year !

Retro Jim

7. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

I was hoping to stimulate others to "make something" to give away. A open heart causes a "cold and broken one" to be warmed. One year a "sorry" attractive blond I was dating had a son about 12, everyone picked on him cause his clothes were ragged, I bought him some Karate lessons, he went from moping and hanging his head to holding his head up high. His Mom only got one date. My Instructor took that kid on to a higher level than I paid for, he had a whole wall of trophies.

Well I get to practice my true fire flames some more.

A buddy in NM pay-pal ed some money last night for more paint and another pedal car. It almost made me cry. Imagine a Older 300lb tattooed biker boo-hooing.

8. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Got a rough finish on the UC35 House of Kolor Clear. (spray gun was crapping out). other than that? I am okay with the first one. I shot purple back behind the flames.. Kinda cool in the sun.

Ordering another in the morning to shoot similar. It'll be left at the police station for their toy fund.

Attached Files:

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

really like what your doing,lil ride looks cool

10. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Paint shop sold me some air fittings to replace the "chinese" ones I had on my airline, inside big enough to drop a pencil through..

Evidently the HVLP guns, even thou I have 125psi-160.. from a V4 compressor.. the small quick connects act like a orifice and will not flow enough air..

It atomizes much better now, lays on the UC35 wet and slick. I may not be a painter but my clearcoat is getting better with learned technique.

Attached Files:

11. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Nice airbrush work!

12. Buzznut

Buzznut

Sweet paintwork...I'm sure that little guy will cherish that toy for years to come. I'm not always that able to buy expensive gifts, but I do like helping out families in need. It's all about keeping perspective on what this season is really all about and helping those who are less fortunate. Great post and great idea!

13. I really dislike the new "realistic" flames, ........ but DAMN MAN! That's some NICE WORK!

Kudos on the airbrush work, ..... but even more-so for the gesture.

14. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Your flames kinda look like mine....hot rod flame/real flame. My father in law has several bikes he picked up on the side of the road, we are going to fix some of them up for local kids. Our sunday school class used to raise $$ to buy kids bikes for christmas. We have met some useless parents out there, also some who are really trying. It shure makes a difference to some kids that someone really does give a damn about them.

Good luck!

15. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

HAMB APPROVED? WIde whites, skinnies, flames, slick black.. Baby moons, chrome in the right places, port holes in hood.. New style flames, but heck, I roll with the flow.

I just almost riveted that black Hamb tag to it.

(1) is done. My back was talking to me like I'd put together a Harley after paint.

Attached Files:

16. rampant150

rampant150

Looks great! Good on ya man!

17. derbydad276

derbydad276

great but please put it on e bay then take the cash to a local soup kitchen or batterd womens shelter
    just my 2 cents worth

I have been working with a program called (goodfellows) for over 30 years there idea is that no child should go without a christmas
    they usually give clothing or even shoes ( you would be suprised ) how often kids never had their own (new ) shoes
    http://detroitgoodfellows.org/

18. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Derby-Dad. thought about it.. one is spoken for.. #2 is going to the local police station. They talked about auctioning it off and using the money for many small gifts. A Lady friend is talking about donating #3rd.. she'll be here Sunday and says she is getting another to paint. Ebay? Sit it on the table at the local Masonic Hall, tell them it is for Charity.

I don't want to completely quit my life to continue this project, just help out a bit. You, I, and Bill Gates can't solve all the problems. My poor old truck has sat while I have been learning to paint.

Shame is.. both them pedal cars look better than my Roadking.. or my truck. (at the moment) I think I finally have the paint gun tuned in for UC35. Less air pressure, more flow than I was running, or recommended at the gun. This one is SLICK.. a lil rubbing and it would be "really show quality". Sometimes in horseshoes a amateur can hit a ringer.

Attached Files:

19. Not to change your topic, but just want to add something else to it. Kids aren't the only ones who could use a little extra help and cheer aroudn the holidays. My mother in law goes to nursing homes in her area that also do the "christmas wish tree" for thier residents. I had not heard of this until this year but it sounds like a great chance to make someone's day. I know of one particular old timer on her list that only wants a new red flannel shirt for Christmas. I'm happy to report that "Mrs. Claus" will be coming through for him.

20. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

1st one still in my dining room, but 2nd one is off and delivered. A lady friend talked of sending another kit car here to be painted. Not seen it yet.

Wife took a bag of home made fudge and ginger cookies to people collecting toys for kids, After the cookies came out? Huh? What pedal car? (don't they call that upstaging?)

Talking about a Tunnel Hill GA. rod & bike toy run next year. Jacket patches/Pins for donation to fund. That might be something good for your area too?

Attached Files:

21. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Barb, Copperetta just donated another one, It'll be here Friday. Will have to hump and get it painted. That'll only make (3) for here.. one of which I bought.

Thanks all to the kindness, hope to pass a little around.

Pat, a local metalshaper is talking about a metal meet next year, instead of everyone making domes and bowls, it'll be pedal car parts. Learn some metal shaping, use a ewheel, and do a good deed..

22. Dawai

Dawai
    from North Ga.

Barb's gift is painted and going to be delivered today. I painted this one while I had the flu. Was Wobbly on my feet but was afraid I'd miss the deadline for donations. (addictive Hotrod disease passed onto Child #3.)

Attached Files:

23. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

THANK YOU! This is a fantastic idea! Every year I say I'm going to do something similar, then december rolls along and i'm scrambling with all my own shit so bad I can't. Next year, starting in October, I'll start on xmas givaways. Great Idea on the pedal cars too, what a great way to practice and give at the same time. BTW that purple one looks spot on, great job!

24. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

Dawai You are awesome. Thanks for doing what you do for those kids.

25. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

I had a few toys that I got for christmas when I was a kid that really blew my mind and I still remember them fondly at 38 years old. I believe that you have created those toys for some less fortunate kids. Good job man!

I have each of my kids pick out a toy at the local hardware store and drop it in their santa anon. toy box. I figure it helps a few kids, It helps the local stores in my community who are also hurting and hopefully I am teaching my kids to be good human beings.

26. You are the man.....SANTA