Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pearl dye for naugahyde?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Mojo

Mojo

My 64 Riv has a older custom white naugahyde interior. Is there such a thing as pearlescent dye? Wondering if it's possible to make it pearl white instead of solid white.

Conversely, what dye is best for naugahyde, if I wanted to change colors?

2. None that I have seen. I used to buy pearl white vinyl. Last time I checked, it's still available.

desotot likes this.
  3. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Years/decades ago vinyl dye was mixed at the local NAPA store and it was just lacquer paint. I have done a lot of panels with it, seats not so much .

ccain likes this.
  4. Yep. During my 12 year tenure at NAPA, I mixed it, but not very much. It never really sold well other than to used car dealers. The stuff looked great but only briefly. Lacquer is hard and naugahyde is soft. No matter how much "flexible additive" you put in it, it doesn't take long to crack and peel just climbing in and out of the car. Naugahyde has to be heat dyed with pigments and not paints.

SS327 likes this.

5. I have used SEM dye over the years but never seen a pearl color

6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I used Sem dye on the Road Agent when I restored it. The color was rose pearl. It was a factory Pontiac color. I wonder if there is a Sem dye for a late 60's chevelle with a "parchment" interior. Parchment was white with gold pearl. Might be worth inquiring about. I know people that have used Sem with real good long lasting results. Preparation is the key if you want it to stick and last

7. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

I was that car dealer, Four days or nights a week at a sale cars scattered in all types of shops getting ready for the next sale !No wonder I am about dead. But it sure was fun !

8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I put the interior in my Olds 25 years ago, I needed to paint the plastic bits (seat backs, door inserts, piston covers as it is a rag top). I remember using SEM that came in 3 spray cans, a base white, pearl, and a topcoat. The door panels show some age, but the seat backs still look great. I tried it on the parade boot that had become stained from being tossed in the trunk, it looked good for a season or two, but I ended up replacing it with a new one.

Tman likes this.
  9. rudestude

rudestude

This is the second stage , pearl coat 16783075691902545208486734429723.jpg

10. Mojo

Mojo

Thanks for all the info. The white interior isn't a deal breaker for me. I was going to repaint the white plastic parts (console, lower dash) with a white pearl, or possibly interference gold over white, so it takes on a gold cast in the sun. Was thinking if there was a paint or dye for the 'hyde i'd go for it too.