Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ~~~ peaking & polishing a 32 axle ~~~

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 117harv, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sexy man. Sexy

117harv likes this.
  2. Beautiful work. Thanks for the great pics.

117harv likes this.
  3. Holy f#*k Harv that axle is perfection, its almost got me wanting to shoot to the shed and attack mine.

117harv likes this.
  4. model t 26

model t 26

you're a sick man my friend

117harv likes this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Harv, are you a diemaker? Its the same process for a class A draw die, punch or binder. I've spent some time pushing a stone on steel, you work looks great.

ls1yj and 117harv like this.
  6. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

That is some really nice work.

117harv likes this.
  7. A Rodder

A Rodder

Phenomenal,
    Harv, you are amazing.

117harv likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Who picks the chrome shop, and do you get to meet the guy that will take over the project? Bob

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that is sick...if I ever get this anal on my next car build, I hope someone just shoots me. :D

kidcampbell71, 117harv and ct1932ford like this.
  10. 117harv

117harv

When I am done with my work, the axle will be heading to Australia to be used for final mock up/assembly, under a 34 coupe if I remember right, then off for final polishing and chrome. I also just found out it will have a beautiful chromed Hudsom steering box done by Neal here on the HAMB....thanks for the comments guys:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Beautiful work. It's great to see there are still craftsman out there who really care about quality. I know you said you don't "build up" the axle boss with weld after truing it with the end mill, BUT would it be ok to make the shims and then weld them to the axle boss?
    Can't help but wonder what such quality costs to make that axle so top notch.

117harv likes this.
  12. NealinCA

NealinCA

Oh, that's cool. And yea, I got to do some grinding and polishing too...

Neal

Attached Files:

ls1yj, kidcampbell71 and 117harv like this.
  13. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Great job, i've done a few in the past and it sure is a lot of work but worth it when you see the final product.

117harv likes this.
  14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

OK Harv, here's your chance to really shine if you have any elbow grease left in ya!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and 117harv like this.
  15. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I love it, nice work!

117harv likes this.
  16. jdownunder

jdownunder

mad skills
    i spent six weeks polishing stainless hand rails on a boat with a 9" straight shaft grinder
    i know how mind numbing that shit can be.great work

117harv likes this.
  17. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Man I gotta spend more time in the garage... Real nice work! Thanks for sharing.

117harv likes this.
  18. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You do nice work.

I tend to think that you devalue an original '32 axle when you grind it all down. The original forging marks are what makes it pure and unique, standing apart from all the polished 1-800 axles out there. It's only original looking once.

crozch likes this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, yeah? I'll trade you two original heavy axles for anything close to this level of perfection.There are so many levels of polishing,and this one is out of the park.Thanks Harv for posting such a great how -to.I've done a lot of polishing over the years,and I feel your pain.

rtp and 117harv like this.
  20. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

that turned out awesome-

kidcampbell71 and 117harv like this.
  21. Damn! Almost looks too good to the point it looks store bought like a SoCal axle :D

117harv likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Harv, I used to have a boat prop shop and did a lot of repair work on styainless steel props that had to be brought back to a mirror shine after repair. And yes, any waviness WILL SHOW UP when it's polished. Concave surfaces can be handled fairly easily with some patience and the right tools. But your work in those concave recesses is a wonder to behold!!!
    The question was asked earlier, but I never saw an answer, what filler rod do you use with your tig welder to fill pits and dents?

117harv likes this.
  23. 3blapcam

3blapcam

[QUOTEwhat filler rod do you use with your tig welder to fill pits and dents?[/QUOTE]

I was curious what welder you were using. I guess you're tigging it?!

Nice work! You're motivating me to make mine pretty! It was under a trailer at one point & had been welded on once already. It has some nasty scarification.

3blap.

117harv likes this.
  24. 117harv

117harv

Yes, TIG, just standard er70s-2 wire.

25. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1406 (Small).JPG HPIM1405 (Small).JPG HPIM1497 (Small).JPG HPIM1496a (Small).JPG HPIM1411 (Small).JPG HPIM1503 (Small).JPG Here are pics of the other side recess, I would guess this was the front of the axle on whatever car or truck the it came from. There is heavy pitting, dents and gouges, I thought I would have to fill some of the bigger pits with weld, but they all sanded out with the flap wheel. I forgot to mention that I ran a flap wheel as shown to get the edges of the recess smoothed. The cross section drawing shows that I had to dig a small groove to remove all the pitting, A in pic, then B is sanded down to the same level as A.

The first and 3rd pic and the second and 4th are before and afters...more to come.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I still want to know how many hours are into this so far, really looks great. Bob

117harv likes this.
  27. There are a group of guys on here that set the bar really high.
    I believe your membership to that is secure.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
    117harv likes this.
  28. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah Harv is a craftsman for sure. Sent him some radius rods that needed the angle changed about a year ago. Sent him dimensions and a crude drawing. He sent them back and right out of the box they fit perfect. Best part is you can't even tell they were modified.

117harv likes this.
  29. Carbon maker

Carbon maker

Hey Niel I am looking for a Essex box for my 1935 jelly Petillo Indy car build do you know any that might be available? Your work is so amazing. We want the Essex box because we want the car to be as clost to correct as possible. We will be using it to give students rides in for our youth program.

30. bonesy

bonesy

Great looking work. Wow.

117harv likes this.