Register now to get rid of these ads!

peaking my hood (i couldn't find any thing on this when i did the search)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodlolita, Jan 28, 2009.

1. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

i am wanting to peak the hood of my 51 chevy, i already know that i need to make it a one piece and im pretty sure that i have a good idea of how to get it done but i would kinda like a little more to go on then my clever idea's any one got a how to for me to look at ?

anything would be helpful :D

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

3. muttafokker

muttafokker
    from new york

i welded a piece of quarter inch round stock between the center seam and molded it in with filler . looked pretty good when it was done.

4. Depends on how much of a peak you want. A few years back I had a customer that wanted a real pronounced lift on his so I folded a piece of sheet metal, took off the stock center strip and Tig welded it on. Metal finished out real nice with a 5/8" lift about 3/4" wide. It wasn't tough to do but I wouldn't advise it for a Beginner welder.
    The Wizzard

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very true

6. Wish I had a Close up of the Peak on my Hood of the 51 (my Avatar). I did kind of the same thing but just a slight crest to match the front of the hood. It's all metal work and I probably have 30 hours in it. Wish I had been getting paid by the Hour.
    The Wizzard

7. hotrodlolita

hotrodlolita

i think i'll go with the metal rod, which was pretty much what i had planned on doing.
    Im an alright welder but don't worry i'll get adult supervision :)

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

9. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

A couple of other ways to add a peak to a panel are as follows: Depending on how large of a peak you're after, you can take a piece of 1/4 or 3/8 round stock CRS, measure the length you need to cover the whole seam and allow for any bends in the panel. Take this cut off portion and weld or clamp it to your bench top, and grind flats on it, changing the round stock to square. If you do a clean job of grinding and filing, you now have a diamond shaped piece of round stock. Place one of the "points" of the diamond into the area of the hood that formerly held the trim piece. Now carefully bend the balance of the "diamond" shaped stock to the crown of your hood crown. You can mig, braze (yeah, I said it!) solder it into place, but I wouldn't use alot of plastic filler on a hood, on a peak to blend it, given that hoods heat cycle and the plastic, if used heavily will crack over time.

Another method is to find someone with a bead roller/swaging machine, and have them "roll" & "crown" a piece to your spec., and weld or solder this into place for a miniumal of filler necessary.

Gool luck with your project,

Swankey Devils C.C.

" It's time for another Tea Party!"

10. Clark

Clark

I cut the peak out of a Nova hood for my 48 pick up. Muscle cars are good for something :)

The strip I used may have been about a 1" to 1 1/2" wide. I had very little warpage and had to use very little filler.
    Clark

11. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

I would stretch a bead in the hood. If you put it upside down on a very tightly packed shot bag or a piece of fairly soft rubber, stretching with a corking tool (like a dull chisel) and hammer, you could make a very nice bead with no welding or the shrinkage that always happens with welding. Not an easy project. Practice makes possible. You would need to get as pure a stretch as you can by having good contact between the hood and the rubber. A regular beader would distort the metal and flatten out the hood, even if you could make it work otherwise.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

12. kustombypook

kustombypook

Instead if solid rod, I've always used steel brake line. It's hollow, so you don't have to weld it as 'hot' and less chance of warpage.