Register now to get rid of these ads!

Peabody MA 50/60s Christy Massio photos

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbantique, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Ray. Do you have your pictures hosted on a site such as Photobucket? If so, they can be posted on here real easy. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Love seeing all the old pics you have(and reading all the history of these cars and owners!)
    Baron

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Unfortunately they are all stored in my document file which is likely why I have so many computer problems.I tried Photobucket once and had no luck at all.

3. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Here's a more recent photo I shot at Ty-Rods, 2010. The truck still looks great!

[​IMG]

5. shtbox

shtbox

wow!!! what a great thread. thanks for sharing all these pics and stories on local cars. Thanks to Dave Paras, I had the pleasure of meeting Christy about 15 yrs ago. Great guy, and he was nice enough to make me a tape with some of his cool old tunes on it. Thanks Christy.,

6. Here are some photos from 71 I think North East Rod Run Rhode Island. That chopped and channeled 32 5 window was mine. The last 3 photos were upstate NY. The Granit I think.

Attached Files:

7. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Was talking to Christy today about how expensive it is today to get paint work done. He said it was no different back in the 50's & 60's . " Back then each of us guys (a half dozen or so) would each keep one of them old bug sprayers in the trunk. None of us could afford a compressor. If one of us scored some primer the lot of us would load up the bug sprayers and lay down a fresh coat."

8. Made my day...........Thanks

9. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Thanks for the great pics ct1932ford. Love the look of your old chopped 5-window and the black deuce roadster.

10. [​IMG]Safarinut: back in '64 I lived in Acton, Mass. Even though I knew nothing about hot rods, I bought this really cool '32. Didn't have a place to store it or work on it, so I sold it 6 months later to somebody in the greater Boston area. I remember it had an olds engine, and the steering needed to be changed so the car didn't turn left when your turned the steering wheel right! In post 38 there is a cabriolet you identified in post 45 as belonging to Richie Tallant. Any chance that could be my old car? I scanned the only pic I have of it.
    Opps...I'll try posting the pic again.
    Opps again..edit 2/25 the car I was thinking about was pic'd in post 38, not 39 as I had thought , so all of the info Safariknut posted about the Cabriolet in 39 had nothing to do with what I thought may have been my car sorry!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  11. [​IMG]
    opps again..wrong post, but here it is. This pic was taken in July of '64...I probably sold it about early '65

12. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Bump for Texas57. That's a cool pic. I like the fairing over the wishbone. An uncommon detail on an uncommon car should jog someones memory.

13. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Anybody know these guys?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  14. They are part of the "weak mustache gang"......I think they got busted for stealing trophies at car shows!

15. That black deuce roadster was Pete Van Iderstine's timeless perfection.
    The tub next to my coupe in the 1st photo was Kevin Malony's from Total Performance.

16. Thanks for the bump. Traded a '54 ford conv. for that car when I was 16...back when the word "rare"'s only relevance was about a garage to work in.
    I corrected an earlier post I had made ...All of the info Safarinut posted on Richie Talant's 32 Cabriolet, I mistakenly thought to be about a pic in post 38, not 39. Tallant's car had nothing to do with mine..ignore any inquiries along that order. I'd still like to know if anybody has any info on the one I did sell though.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  17. Finally got back on line after a friend in Ohio rebuilt my computer literally from the ground up. Still trying to play catch up and have been busy getting artwork ready for shows.Did Louisville KY 2 weeks ago and Chicago last weekend.Heading for Detroit this weekend and then maybe I can get some older pics organized and re-posted. Just finishd sorting thru 200 plus e-mails so I'm taking a break.Good to finally be back on.

18. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great news Ray. Look forward to more"history pictures" and the wealth of information you share with all of us. :D
    Baron

19. x2!

20. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  21. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

41 pickup 024.jpg 41 pickup 026.jpg house 002.jpg 2009-08-09-032.JPG DSC03154.jpg red.jpg red truck

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014

22. Glad to see you posting more old pictures.The first one of the 40 sedan was taken at the old North Street garage in Salem if I remember correctly.That sedan was originally started by Bill Welsh who ran the New England Speed Equipment store on Route 1 north in Saugus MA.When I first saw the car it was painted white and had a 265 Chevy in it.Because of the channel the generator wouldn't clear the hood and rather than move the generator they cut a small scoop into the side of the hood.
    When John got it he did the concave fender sides and custom grille(I think it may have been a modified 55 Desoto)and did up a custom interior with a center console.A couple of neat touches were the door opening switch inside.It was a 3 pole momentary contact switch where you pushed it left to open the driver's door and right for the passenger's side.On the outside there were concealed buttons and you could actually lock the doors.It had twin antennas and one was for the radio and the other you pushed down all the way and it tripped a microswitch that disabled the door switches.Pretty innovative for the early 1960's.
    An intersting story about that car.John had a 51 Chevy fastback that was Olds powered and he used it as a tow car to haul his cars to shows.One day they were towing the 40 to the Hartford Autorama and were driving way too fast and the trailer hitch came loose from the Chevy(I think it was a clamp-on bumper hitch)and the only thing that kept them from losing the whole rig were the safety chains.As I recall a change of underwear was necessary after they came to a stop.
    The other car(the chopped, channeled,and sectioned 41 Merc)John had when I first met him in 1959.He had it displayed at the Topsfield Fairgrounds car show.John never finished the car and sold it to Len Legere who did finish it and showed it for many years. I believe he still owns it. Len used ot post on here but I haven't seen any posts by him for awhile now.
    John was really a talented guy and did some great creations over the years including building his version of the Corvette Mako Shark(Maco in John's version)that was available as a conversion for 68 and up Corvettes.He also built a car for the Ford Custom Caravan in the mid 1960's.Another was his wagon conversion kit for a 914 Porsche.Sadly he was not a very good businessman and others profited greatly from his ideas.He died of a massive heart attack at 54 while on his way to the airport.
    Sorry for the long rant;it's Monday and seeing those pictures brought back a lot of memories.If I recall correctly those pictures are from a program from the Hartford Autorama,I have a copy around here somewhere.

23. rbantique

rbantique
    from maine

Safarinut
    Thanks for taking the time to share your memories.. Your words make these images come alive.
    I'm sure there is a story for each one.

Baron likes this.
  24. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

is it you and your brother?

25. The one in the white T shirt looks like Mike Guiffrieda from PV Speed.

26. oleman

oleman

Ray, how do you remember all this stuff ???? It makes for great flashbacks. I 've forgotten half of the people and cars over the years . But it all comes to light when I read your posts! I was talking to Vito last week about doing a one time Sunday morning Sears run, we'll see.. Now I'm looking for Fowlers cruising nite and Bell circle pics, which followed Jolly Jorges after the cops kick us out. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. See you in September. Frankie P

27. Musta been all the good dope floatin' around back then Frank.lol Seriously I wish I knew.Sometimes I'll just see a pic and the memories start flowing.
    I was perusing an antique shop here and came across a bunch of car magazines for sale.Looking thru them I see a 1971 issue of Cars magazine with John's Maco Shark on the cover.Had to buy it just for the pic inside of the little shark I painted on the side.
    Fowler's was quite a trip.Vito sent me a video of some 8mm film he had shot down there awhile back.Lots of memories. He also sent me another one some time ago on the MSRA trip to the Northeast Rod Run.Great footage of some nut in a Model A sedan that blew off a crank pulley and the subsequent repair.
    I only vaguely remember the Bell Circle shows;I think that was when I was in the Navy or when I first lived in Michigan in 1968.
    On another note;I was thinking about the "farewell" party at Teddy Castellucci's house the other day.Had some great times with him.I remember going to a Ricky Skaggs concert at the North Shore Music Theater in that crazy Cadillac limo dressed up in cowboy duds and parking it right out front.They thought we were part of the band! Sad we lost him so young.
    Too many of our generation is going away too quickly.Wish I could have made the All Timer's last year;I know Ken Frederick did as well.
    Hey keep in touch amigo;I enjoy your e-mails and whenever I know of someone who is visiting Boston I always tell them to do the DUK tour and ask for you.
    Here are two pics from the past.First is a pin we got at the NE Rod Run and the second.....well I wonder who the guy in the white shirt is in the lower left corner and the skinny hippie with his arms folded?

Attached Files:

28. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Sears parking lot Saugus, MA. August ,1966. This was an assembly area for a trip to Hamptom Beach, NH. This is actually the begining of a new club, the Boston Area Roadsters. Shown are several of the charter members...Donny Cavenaugh's T Bucket, Joe Scribner's 34 Cabriolet, Lonnie Joyce's T Bucket, Richie Willet Model A and Timmy Carrol's 34 roadster.

29. Jack I don't think I ever saw Donnie's T with the fenders and roll bar before.I striped it in 68 or 69 and I don't think they were on there then.