Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PCV Valve with no oil filler neck breather... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harris73085, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Let me know how filling it that way that works.
    If having the "right" valve covers is important, having the "right" intake manifold should be even more important.

If you sat down to put your shoes on and noticed you had grabbed 2 left shoes would you schedule surgery to make your right foot fit into the left shoe?

williebill, Blue One and Atwater Mike like this.
  2. harris73085

harris73085

3. Say it's Free surgery but everything else is the same.
    Layed up, pain, rehab, meds, risk of infection, nerve complications, and then your fucking shoe might no fit. Every other "pair" of shoes you own just became worthless and when buying shoes you now need to buy two pairs in order to get 2 lefts and hopefully you can sell the extra "right" shoes.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's some funny shit right there, I don't care who ya are!

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  5. harris73085

harris73085

Luckily, I only have one pair of shoes, should work out fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 99 out of 100 times - asking a question on here will get you the right answer at least once.
    Of course you're free to ignore that, but why ask in the first place.

Blue One and 56shoebox like this.
  7. harris73085

harris73085

This is true. Luckily the right answer was at the very beginning. It needs a fresh air inlet to the crank case. How that is done, well there are many answers to that. I could drill the filler hole in my intake, purchase one with the hole, find an original and proper one like you suggest, or go the easy route and just get new valve covers. All will work.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

If not the 'right shoes', allow for 'wiggle room'?

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think he may have finally found some wiggle room Mike.

I can see the why on the aftermarket intake though 327 factory aluminum intakes are priced up there with original 32 Ford parts.
    Looking though the Corvette 327 intakes offered on Ebay lets me know that guys think their old cast iron 300 hp intakes are worth a lot more than I figure the one I have is.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If OP opp's to drill his intake lets hope a new post asking "why does my oil sparkle" doesn't come up. I'd offer to drill the hole in his intake but I'm afraid it won't fit my mill on account it's still on the car.

11. That's only because it's really important for those guys to have the "right" intake.
    The numbers on than manifold make it big money.

12. harris73085

harris73085

I do plan on removing the intake before drilling, so if I start that thread, something else has gone terribly wrong.

wraymen and Johnny Gee like this.
  13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

to the OP, I had the same thoughts when I did the 3 deuces on my coupe. I also did not have a filler neck. I set up the breather on the driver's side as the fill and opening to the atmosphere..........the passenger's side has the PVC valve mounted in the breather that is completely closed. It feeds into one of the intake runners...........for me, it works just fine
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    harris73085 likes this.
  14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's fun hang'n with goof balls (myself included). :)

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think this would be a lot easier than a foot transplant and a left shoe :D
    And cheaper than trying to find an original GM manifold too :)
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2703/10002/-1
    2703.jpg

But then that would mean that he would be willing to accept a solution, which so far doesn't appear to be the case at all.
    How many ways can we say stubborn, before it becomes something else completely :confused: :D:D

16. I'm not sure how to take this thread, really. It could be a like the days of old classic ball buster great Friday night threads, then he could be serious.

I don't really want to make fun of anyone, unless that's the intent. But if someone just asks for it they will get it.

Bandit Billy and i.rant like this.
  17. harris73085

harris73085

Thank you for the advice. Already looked them up this morning. Thing is I have that exact one just without the fill tube hole drilled. My plan is to drill the hole since the casting has the flat spot where the hole is. I know it's not easier than just buying the one you pointed out, but I like the challenge of doing it myself.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, then here you go, that was easy.
    http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/4803/10002/-1?&gclid=CK7diNCm5dECFY-1wAodfP8BWQ
    And, the instructions too ;)
    http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/350/350-4803.pdf
    Apparently only manifolds with a raised boss (intended to be drilled ) should be used.
    If your manifold just has the flat spot, it may not be thick enough at that flat spot to be drilled and hold the oil fill tube properly.
    In that case it would be better to sell it and buy the pre drilled one.

19. harris73085

harris73085

Good to know, I'll check before I go add destroy a perfectly good manifold.

20. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What blue one said. I have drilled a few with the flat spot--no problem. Oil fill tube stayed just fine-no leaks, no seepage.

21. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Any thing that cut's wood, will cut aluminum. That being said. It was mentioned here to use a hole saw. I'd advise not to. A hole saw can not and never will make a true or accurate size hole. I've used a forstner bit for what it is you want to do. Drill a 1/8" pilot hole first then go for it with one of these. [​IMG]

gas pumper likes this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

A thinking man would use a hole saw smaller than the tube and finish with a grinding burr and cartridge rolls for a nice accurate fit.

harris73085 and olscrounger like this.
  23. harris73085

harris73085

I've got a 1-1/8 bit at the shop I was going to use, then finish it out with a grinder

Johnny Gee likes this.
  24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

On the valve cover side of making holes, we use this 1.25 hole saw,
    it does the standard holes for the push-in breathers.
    PUSH-IN BREATHER GROMMET
    Rubber BREATHER Grommet; 1" I.D.; 1-1/4" O.D.

1.25 hole.jpg

25. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

The grommet for the PC size is smaller than the 1" push in breather, they make push in breathers for that smaller hole too.
    This one shows the two sizes from Mr.Gasket

mrGasket.jpg

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The OP didn't say but if he was running an electric fuel pump it isn't hard to fabricate a road draft tube style breather from the fuel pump mount. It's been done, work for a filler too.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  27. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

don't kno if this has anything to do w/this fix ,but i have a rdst pu w/used flthead eng that leaked out the frnt & rear mains, i put a pcv valve and ran to the breather oil filler tube w/no other vent, it pulls a vacuum in crank case and stopped the leaks. also did this on a model A, into valve side cover and used a cork plug in the oil filler tube.running rdstpu for 17 yrs, mdl A bout same, no problems...

28. harris73085

harris73085

Just a quick update. Drilled the hole, cleaned and cleared the manifold. The lip is thicker than it looks. Next step is putting it back on and pressing in the oil fill tube Hole In Manifold.jpg

MercDeuceMan likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

Well the title on your thread says "Thoughts?" so here goes. Nice job, even if the naysayers said it couldn't be done. Or at least not done right.

harris73085 likes this.
  30. For it to work you need to draw air in from someplace. A breather on the rocker cover is the easiest.

LOL like my Harley it doesn't leak when there is no oil in it. :D

I wish I had 4 of those by the way. I don't wish it like they were made of gold but I still wish I had 4 of those.