Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Paying my respects to two Hot Rod & Custom Pioneers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Feb 19, 2014.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

This thread is done with the upmost respect to the deceased, their families, and those who fought in WWII.

As the organizer of the Suede Palace buildings at the Grand National Roadster Show and Sacramento Autorama, I decided to drive up north a couple of days early to do some sightseeing, thrift shopping, and pay my respects to two of our Hot Rod & Car Customizing pioneers.

I first made my way to the historic Sacramento City Cemetery , located near the downtown area. One of the oldest and scenic cemeteries in California, at times I thought I was in New Orleans. Old granite tomb stones, crypts, mausoleums, and huge oak trees cover the entire grounds. There are grave sites as old as the 1840s. After being greeted with a friendly staff that directed me where to go, I made my way to Mr. Harry Westergards grave. He is resting in a special military section of the cemetery . Born January 9, 1916 - and died April 29, 1956. His plaque reads "S2 USNR" which stands for Seaman 2nd class United States Naval Reserve.

Next I made my way to the Mount Vernon Memorial Park Cemetery in Fair Oaks, California (approx. 15 miles from the downtown area) . I arrived at the cemetery and was greeted with another friendly staff member who directed me towards the entrance of where I had just arrived. I quickly found the grave site of Mr. Sam Barris . Born in 1924, Sam passed away (too early) back in 1967. In his later years he became a Fireman, and although its not written on his grave stone, he too served in WWII and was in the US Navy.

Thanks, Axle

First set of pics ~ Harry Westergard

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Second set of pics ~ Sam Barris

US Navy picture courtesy of Brad Masterson

Attached Files:

3. OLLIN

OLLIN

Respect.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Wow, I knew that Mr. Sam Barris passed away fairly young, but I thought it was later than the age of 43.

I also didn't realize that Mr. Westergard died at the age of 40.

Man, two giants of the kustom car hobby that died in their early 40s--very ironic.

Thanks for posting this Axle.

Much respect to the late, great Mr. Harry Westergard and Mr. Sam Barris..........E

5. x 1000

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

Both men were certainly giants of the car hobby ,and both passed incredibly young. Long live their memory.

Thank you for the photos Axle and Brad

7. Mercchev

Mercchev

Well done. Interesting that they were both USN vets. Cool thread!

8. Interesting thread. Two pioneers who left us far too early.

9. luke13

luke13

the book that your avatar is from, ive been looking for that book, i remember reading when it was 10 years old i think mum through it out when dad left, i would like to find out its title so i could purchase another copy............lest we forget, rip.

10. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks, Great avatar