Register now to get rid of these ads!

pay for cruise nights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gatordave, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

If a place hosted a cruise night, I was always sure to go in and spend my money there.
    And it was always way more than $5.00. If the place served lousy food, that car cruise would never last very long. It would be off of the calendar soon.

2. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Number of years ago I went to an out of town cruise nite at a drive in. buger type place While I'm in line waiting for my $12.00 buger and fries (and a Coke) they are hitting me up for $5.00 for ?? being there I guess. No awards... no give aways.. etc... Lots of people. lots of cars.....
    Let me add that I never went back... Guess not many others did as they stopped have'n cruise nites.....
    Just my 3 cents worth on the matter..
    Pontiac Slim

3. slammed

slammed

Yes, 'cruise night' moldy oldies pumped over a PA and fun galore. Save up attend a real destination. Rust Revival, Round Up, ect.

4. johnod

johnod

I know this was mentioned, but it just pisses me off when car shows charge the cars admission, but spectators are free.
    Makes no sense to me, no cars no show guys.

I don't know what kinda thinking comes up with that idea.
    If i want to go i just leave the Stude at home, and take the daily driver.
    Their loss, not mine.

5. Keep your trophy, I'll keep my 5 bux........

6. jbtine

jbtine

Heres a thread somewhat related to this one. Careful about criticizing someone might get their panties in a wad. Damn sounds like my wife. Getting to where you can't even vent around here.
    Just about any local cruise is charging 10 bucks and even one has gone to 15 bucks. There is a cruise to the Sonic in south Ft Worth Saturday afternoon put on by the same organization as the 2 at Wally World. I'll go to Sonic it is usually a good turnout.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=685915

7. I would never pay to park my car at a Friday night hamburger joint. But if some city with about 10 blocks of a downtown somewhere blocked it all off so we could have a real cruise night like the "old days" I would probably pay for that.

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

This looks like a really hot subject!!!! Okay, I'm game..... Back in the late 80's I started a cruise nite that was to support the local SONIC Drive-In that had just openned in Covina on Azusa/Arrow Hwy. This was a freebie deal that offered up
    great eats,service a very well lit parking area and a overflow lot. This cruise nite grew to be very big, I received no compensation for my efforts=Not even a Burger.
    I had a job, it was our duty to maintain a place for "us" to bring our cars.

A competing "promoter" who had a cruise nite in another county heard about our cruise nite, came out to it and sweet talked his way into "our" cruise nite. Next thing I know the day was changed to Thursday instead of Tuesday and there now a $1 dollar charge.

I asked the manager WTH was going on? He said that this promoter guy said that I turned the cruise over to him=NOT!, Mind you,now there was a raffle and he sold tickets for that as well, then I found out that he asked the manager for financial compensation.

We were doing it for free. We brought in over a hundred cars on nice days and the restaurant sold food and made money. It cost the restaurant nothing, not even ink for the flyers that "we"personally paid for. Over time now with this new agreement with this "promoter" the resaurant began to lose money,because the participants would just take up spots, not order any food and would leave as soon as the raffle was over.

The restaurant asked the promoter to move out of their lot, so that they would be able to make some money. Some did and others did not, they wanted their cars to be seen. They felt by paying their $1.00 that it entittled them to be in that lot.

That restaurant ended up failing as a result of having that $1.00 cruise,where before it was making money with a free cruise. The promoter moved on and never missed a beat. Now the reason that I bring this particular promoter up is because he also pulled this same stuff at JOHNIE'S broiler back in the late 80's. When the restaurant operator wouldn't pay up, he told everyone that the operator didn't want cruise nites there any longer and had the cruisers go to Frisco's.

I was involved in another cruise that actually involved "Cruising Colorado Bl." It was initially held at the Burger King directly across the street from PCC. It started with 6-7 cars, It out grew that parking lot within a few months. We cruised the blvd, some even got tickets for doing just that "In Old Town",but cruisers just kept coming on back.

It was eventually relocated to Fuddrucker's Pasadena clear on the east end of town.
    It was still free and grew to 400 cars eventually! It even included a swap meet held by "Indian Mike"(He basically started this cruise). One day I cruise in and there is a rope and a guy manning the gate, The guy asks for a buck, "ok, so what gives" he says here's your cup for soda, which was actually supplied b4 for free to patrons of the restaurant if the brought a car and ate there.

Now there's a raffle, ok, so I guess I'll play since I was in from the get go. This cruise nite continues to be hugely successful, infact people around here really miss it.
    It changes players and soon the participants are not utilizing the restaurant,but are only there for the raffle.

Lets see, if I was an owner operator what would I do??? Probably ask them to leave.
    It didn't come down to that as that corner was a prime spot for a CVS pharmacy so the restaurant was dozed and so was a great cruise nite. If one wants to play this game, they have to support it by some means.

Brings us to what we started at the Broiler when we openned as Bob's Big Boy Broiler.
    We built a Drive-In. It is 1st and foremost a business that requires patrons in order to operate. It is a very kool place "in the heart of kustomland". It was built as a "real" Drive-In, not like some others that just post that as part of their name.

I intially felt that we as car kulture and historically aware participants would support such an undertaking. Well in this case I was very wrong :(. On our regular wednesday cruise nite some guys would come in and park in a car hop spot and stay there for hours, our girls couldn't get a tip. Others would order food,steal a $30 tray or not even pay for the food by driving off. I'm still very p.o'd about that. How is it that we can't trust our fellow car cruiser??? Are we all just a bunch of flakes???? I hope not!

So now we're down to 8 trays out of 37 @ $30.00 ea. and down to 1 car hop out of 10 hired, because people just want to hang out in "their" spot. some of these people don't even eat at the restaurant, they bring Pizza's from other places food from a liquor store or market, throw their trash down and just leave. Now this is a free cruise nite that really meant that we wanted our participants to cruise around the place, pull in and order whether it be from the Drive-Thru, Walk-In,Coffee Shop of Drive-In.

It happens ocassionally. We do have our regulars that religously eat there sometimes as much as 6 times a week. Some are car folk others just love the building and like the grub. Now I have a person who used to attend the Torrance Big Boy location, who didn't like the guy that ran that cruise nite, that had trophies and a raffle telling me that we should have a "Pay Cruise" that would give trophies, and include a raffle so it would be like "the Old Days".

I never remember "the Old Days" having a "Pay Cruise", stinkin trophies and a raffle??? I'm not about to change the formula of our Wednesday format. It works,but I'd like it even better if when it warms up a little more if people would use the Drive-In feature as it is intended ;).

Pay Cruises Suck,but please come in and support the business if you are going to show off your pride and joy, don't just take a spot(s) and not order anything. It is after all a business that is giving you a place to see and be seen.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  9. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

I live in Connecticut and they are still that way..
    Our club does not and will not charge to park. Spectators are also free to get in.
    We do have some door prizes which the club pays for them. We also have sponsored trophies. The trophies we have are paid for from local businesses and they will pick 3 of there favorite cars.. there name will be on the plague.
    We also have a 50/50......

Our Cruise Night Starts 5/4/12 from 6:00 -9:00 @ McDonalds, Milford, Ct. .... 1981 cut off

10. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

There is a local cruise night. A non club, club hijacked it as their own. They do not spend one dime at the restaurant the cruise is at. Yet they arrive at 2 pm and take a group of spots, if you park near "their" spots, they try and chase you.
    This same club almost destroyed anothe cruise night as they would arrive at that that one, going on over 50 years, at 2pm, park their cars and leave.
    The restaurant wants nothing to do with them but cannot kick them out. I do not blame some for charging. If a restaurant puts on a car show, at the least you can buy a soda

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Seems that some people can't distinguish between a "cruise" and a "show". I've visited Cruises where a big guy got in trouble for brow-beating participants to pay, to park in a "public" space (at a shopping mall). This was a a Cruise sponsored by police officers, no less.

I've seen clubs troubled by "where did the money go?" scandals and infighting among members because somebody (the treasurer) skimmed money.

They can keep their trophies. I'll only give my money (at a Cruise) when I'm confident it ALL goes to charity. If they try to force me, I'm outta there.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

In my dictionary there is a big difference between a cruise night and a Rod Run. In my early days you paid to get into a Rod Run but we fed you. A cruise night was simply a bunch of guys going to the same place on the same night. Pay to get in? You've got to be shitting me.

And I will also add that if you put on a Rod Run that consists of a parking spot in a roped off portion of a parking lot and you want me to pay more than 15 bucks to park there...you are nuts and I won't be attending.

There are a couple of "Runs" around here that want 25 bucks or more for the privilege of parking in their lot. I prefer to give to the "Tommy benefit society". I just plain can't afford to pay that much every weekend and get no benefit. Not even a sandwich?

There is also a run that gives you breakfast and a full Chicken dinner for the same 15 bucks per person.

13. TinShed

TinShed

Yup, I make the drive a couple times a summer and they get a goot turnout. There is a big one every other sat in Hastings that is free and the business people love it. The antique shops are open so my wife loves it and we always eat out at a local joint to help keep them happy in town for having us. Then there is the Friday night cruise in @ Shakopee. That was to help the local boy scout troop. It was a donation and I would
    Throw them a $20 because I have a soft spot for kids doing anything with old cars but something changed last year and they were not there.

14. Ed "Axle" II

Ed "Axle" II
    from Evans,CO

I think that I need more info you say it cost $5 but what is the $5 for? A few small trophies? or is there more going on then meets the eye? Maybe some the cash is going to a local charity? So I have to ask did you ask way they want the $5?

What is there turn out 5,10, or 100? Trophies are not free some some one has to pay for them so if it is a trophies that you want you have to pay.

I just feel there maybe more then you say here.

If trophies is all they are doing then this place would not be for me to park and pay!

15. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

exactly!!!!

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

When I was in LA for the LARS ... I made sure the wife and I went to the Broiler ... for the cruise night. We both ate there, bought soft drinks later and had a good time.

Thank You ... for having the cruise night.

Deuce Roadster ...

17. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Randy,
    You're welcome. You came all of the way across the country! We totally appreciated your business and look forward to your next visit.
    Thank you.
    CK

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Had plans to make the trip again this summer ... but the engine fire means the 32 roadster will NOT be ready for LARS 2012. Hoping to make the LARS 2013 and we will be at the Broiler on Wednesday if we can be in LA.

Randy.

[​IMG]

19. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I must be the only odd one left in the world then.
    I built my car to be driven, fast.
    I don't care if ANYONE looks at it, in fact I would rather not be bothered by people looking and asking stupid questions....Only 1 in 20 even knows what they are looking at.

20. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

OMG Randy,
    I hadn't seen this!!! Wow, I can't believe that this has happened! Ok, I hope ta see you in 2013. Get back on the road soon.

21. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

'Never been to a cruise night where I had to pay, and I'm not interested either.
    A "cruise-in" is not the same as a car show (such as GoodGuys or the Street Rod Nationals). The car owners already spend a fortune on fixing up their cars, and gasoline is outrageously priced. I agree with the member who compared it to having strippers pay US to go look at them...

22. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i buy trophies and keep them for myself. sometimes i give myself a 2nd place one, cause i don't want to look conceded. oh and i always act surprised when i pick them up, like i just won it! trophies are shiny.

23. Wrong !!!!! I could give a rats ass either way. I may be in the minority , but I built my cars for me and nobody but me. I could care less who wants to see them. Now for the topic of this thread, if going to the local burger joint and paying for dinner isn't good enough for them it starts to look like greed. Trophies at a cruise night would turn that into a car show and I won't do them. I thought the point of these nights was to get a bite to eat and hang with friends.