Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patina and Acne

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959cac, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 1959cac

1959cac

I'm officially over Patina. My '53 Buick Special "patina" has run it's course. I've noticed a few spots on it that have turned into a spot of rusty acne, which left "cool and trendy" will surely lead to swiss cheese cancer. Recently started to strip the original finish and cure these spots, to apply paint, NOT porous flat black lacquer primer that will continue the process. It rains here, and the humidity is unreal at summer car shows in the Southeast. <p>My 2 cents on what I see and hear is fashion.;)

2. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

I'm readin' yer mail........but good luck with the thread.....

3. 1959cac

1959cac

Just making a point.:D Tired of the hype and everyone wondering why I'm removing " a perfect finish".<p>Maybe it will help a FNG's search on here in 30 years figure out where all the old tin went. <p>Barns were built to keep hay dry...right? <p>As soon as you start washing all the dust off rust has a party.

4. Tim G

Tim G

Over here in England in the shitty damp car killing climate we use a product called Ankor wax on the body work of 'patina' vehicles, it's basically a wax oil for underside and cavity protection but if applied right will protect thin paint and light surface rust from getting any worse(i've been doing it for years). we just re-apply every few months to keep it topped up. people say it can make the paint look smeary and picks up dust but only if it's applied wrong.

Patina may be fashionable but when it becomes unfashionable i'll still be digging it just like i dig a really nice paint job or a shitty matt blow over on the right car... :)

5. 1959cac

1959cac

"Shitty matt blow." <p>Great description !

6. Tim G

Tim G

You know what i mean though right? like when you sort a car out runnig gear wise and want to use it for a season to iron out any problems before taking it back in next winter for proper paint so you just blow it over quick so it's all one colour...

kinda like this :)

[​IMG]

it's a shitty matt blowover for sure but i still dig it :)

7. 1959cac

1959cac

I know what you mean. I drug the Buick out of a barn January of '05. Looked back at the first pics, and noticed how much paint disappeared in 4 years of weather.

8. slepe67

slepe67

I hope you start a new trend!

9. Doctor Destructo

Doctor Destructo

Patina in my humble view should be reserved for cars that would be irrefutably altered in such a way that new paint would detract from their historical significance. Patina is aged paint, not eroded metal.

Patina case in point....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I find that some people confuse "patina" with "rusty". In my opinion, a survivor custom or hot rod that still has its originally applied paint, but that paint has aged to a degree, has a 'patina'. A car that has been sitting behind a barn, rotting away for 50 years, does not have a 'patina'. It has RUST! And rust is the sworn enemy of all things steel. If we want to keep these steel works of art on the road and not let them disintegrate into the earth, we need to educate the younger people who think that their rusty heap is cool because of its "patina". Glad you crossed over from the dark side.

11. milorat

milorat
    BANNED

Paint often hides rusty cars.....!!!

12. Tim G

Tim G

This looks to be one of those agree to disagree discussions...

is this nice patina or a rusting hulk that needs stripping back and a good coat of paint?

for me it's nice patina that is worth preserving for many reasons... no one will ever persuade me i'm wrong and if you disagree i guess we just have different opinions :)

[​IMG]

13. Squatch

Squatch

I have had both... one thing about patina I noticed... I enjoy driving it whole lot more... I worry too much with a nice paint job....

14. slepe67

slepe67

patina is a good thing if it is REAL.

If it's excessively rusty man-made, and looks like a clapped out piece of shit, then it is a bad thing. I shoulda clarified, too damn tired from work. I don't like rust, and don't like people who drive their shit around with no intention of EVER doing any body work, and leaving the rust to rot out a perfectly good piece of vintage steel. Well, there's my opinion, and we all know what they are like...

15. This car definitely deserves some nice shiny paint. Just like a pretty girl loves a new dress. Would you tell your wife, "Hey, you're fifty, you've earned that dirty t shirt and torn jeans!" Enjoy sleeping on the couch.

16. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

[​IMG][/quote]
    Dude, you're from the old dart and you don't have wipers?

17. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

keep on beating that dead horse

Attached Files:

18. onelowponcho

onelowponcho

It's only original paint once.

19. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

I Like it both ways! If it is right leave the original paint alone. See below, my T-Bird has nice paint and my truck will keep its old paint. The thing about Nice paint is they aren't much fun to park anywhere you can't keep your eye on them. My .02

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hey you could always pay someone 10 grand to paint your car to look like an 56 year old patina... Stupid but funny...

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Paint's like anything else.

When you look at a vehicle as a whole, there's always gonna be one part that sticks out as the worst. Cheesy rims, dog-chewed interior, cracked glass, etc.

As old cars evolve/devolve (and they all do) the features change for better/worse at different rates. So the obviously worst feature is going to change as well.

When the paintjob finally moves to the top of the shit list, I shouldn't need to say anymore.

22. mj40's

mj40's

Most generally patina is rated in feet. The worse the patina the further the feet. My 40 pickup looks best at 20 patina feet. Then there is the guy who will go to great lengths to add patina to a new paint job. Buffing through to the primer, rust lines and streaks painted in etc. There is a car in our area that the rumor has it he acid washed the complete car so it looks like it just came out of the 50 year old wrecking yard. First response, you can’t believe it is running so smooth for its looks. The other rumor is he and a bunch of friends pissed all over it for the acid wash. When you take the time to look at this car, it has a lot of detail in making it look as it does. For instance the moss between the bed slats. I like it!

Attached Files:

23. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

Old paint is old paint, but surface rust, well, that is just rust.

If its not not a victorian chest of drawers, then paint the "Patina"!

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

WAIT a SECOND!! Let me get this straight........YOU are suggesting shiny paint as an alternative to rust?! Well, that's just about the limit!
    I need to go lie down.

25. I love this car. I am going to any lengths to make mine as nice as possible.