Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patching rust hole in roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jozw30, Sep 22, 2010.

1. jozw30

jozw30
    from Arizona

Am starting my 55 Olds 88 project and the car is really solid but have some rust holes in the outer roof skin near the drip rail. This was due to the car being a rodent resort for decades.

The structural channel areas around the windshield and back glass are pretty rust free.

Can these areas be patched without ruining (warping) the roof? I was thinking of using POR15 on the inside after cleaning out real good.

I poked around and the areas are not more than a few square inches each.

I am thinking it won't be easy (or cheap) to find a complete donor 55 88 2dr sedan roof.

Thanks!

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

It'd be easier to just patch the holes.... Not a complete roof!! Just got slow when you tack weld and let it cool!!! It'll work... then go over it with por15...

3. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate
    from California

I agree - less heat the better. Just tack slowly and let cool (patience) , A spray bottle w/ water works good to speed it up after it has air dried a bit. To replace the whole roof is alot just to fix a few holes

4. Ramblur

Ramblur