Register now to get rid of these ads!

Patch Panel Material

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tootallrodder, Feb 16, 2005.

1. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

Where do you guys get raw sheet steel to fabricate patch panels? I have heard that the best is something like Alumikild Steel Sheet? I'm sure I speeded it wrong. Any input would be welcome.

2. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I'm honestly not sure about that Alumikild stuff-just make sure its not a galvanized steel, nasty welding fumes from galvanized will make you sick! If you need small pieces, you can actually get up to around 12" x 18" pieces of up to 16 guage at Lowes/Home Depot. Not the cheapest, but is readiliy available at all hours. If you need bigger pieces check with your local steel supplier. Usually full sheets are 48"x96". If you need less ask them if they have any "drops" (cut pieces. They sell these at a discount usually. For patch panels 18 guage is fairly typical, depending on what exactly you are doing with it. Hope this helps!

3. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

There was a big argument at metalmeet.com about whether or not aluminum killed sheet was any different than ordinary cold rolled steel sheet (CRS). Personally, I don't think there is any difference, and I've also heard Ron Covell (Prof. Hammer from Street Rod) say the same thing last fall.

Simply get 1008 steel sheet. It's available at www. mcmaster.com in any size you're probably going to need.

--Matt

4. Most bigger towns I've ever lived in has a place called metal by the foot or a reasonable facimile there of.

But about any steel supply will sell you a piece or you can buy their drop cheap. More often than not you don't need a huge piece and I've found drop as large as 2x4 ft.

If I recall you're not too hard to get along with. Just poke your head in the door and make friends with the shop foreman or pusher or whatever they call him in your neck of the woods. ;)

I prefer 18 gauge for patch panels myself.

5. sawzall

sawzall

I too use 18 ga But I only buy it in 4 by 8 or 4 by 10 sheets.. the one thing I am willing to store for an extended period is sheetmetal..

be careful with the stuff from lowes homedepot or sears hardware most of the time it is galvanized which poses a problem..

For what its worth..
    last fall I got ahold of some aluminized steel.. basically its like galvanized only aluminum is subsitituted for galvanizing. IT was nice that it didnt rust but it was BITCH to weld.. I'd stay away from it as well..

sawzall

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Do not ever use use filing cabinets. Honest to God, I'm being serious. I patched my '63 Ford Capri years ago with steel from a filing cabinet just because it was sitting around. There was something in the steel and it started rusting really heavily with a year or two.
    I've always used that stuff that comes 2x4 sheets from auto body supply stores, it's about $9 a sheet, I think it's aluminized.

7. Get some 19 ga,or 20 ga cold rolled steel,not Galvanized.

AK,also know as Aluminum Killed,or Dq,which is Drawing quality,
    was devekoped for the deep draw stamping industry
    where the limits of the material are seriously tested.

In theory,it's a little easier to work,doesn't spring back as much.

In reality,just use what you can find,and don't worry about it.
    The thickness is more important.

I would use 18 ga if I was stuck,
    but think twice about anything heavier,depending on the shape.

8. Unks right. Henry Ford used 19G. AK/DQ is fun to work with for complex pieces. I keep a half sheet stashed for little projects.

9. FeO2

FeO2

I always cut the roof off of the cars I part out. Monte Carlos & Impalas are nice.....

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I used 16 ga for the firewall and floor, 18 or 20 ga for other stuff...