Register now to get rid of these ads!

Past The Tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome

2. Have to agree with what many have said. This is a beautiful piece, Ryan.

I feel the same way all the time, it is hard to put into words when you get into a 'zone', regardless of what you are doing. It happens when I am riding my bike, painting and driving my car.

It is like love, hard to explain, but you know it when it is there.

3. Not to be crying the Blues but this thread has put more determination back into my heart. I've been laid up since Sept 08 with severe COPD that was compounded by Pneumonia. Went into the hospital 3 times since then because of my lungs. I had to watch what kind of weather I was going out in so it really put me out of commission for the year. I never even started my car up this year.

Last night I said, ENOUGH! I'm not going to stay this way and I will be off the O2 and back out and finding myself in my car while I go through the gears out on those country roads with my windows rolled down, listing to my blown out Thrush mufflers hooked up to my headers and smelling the freshly mown lawns or the still operating farmland or vineyard out east on the Island.

It's going to happen. Thank you Ryan. I needed that and I needed to remind myself of what I have always lived for and what freedom truly meant to me. Wheels and an open road and no particular place to go.

God Bless you for sharing your most inner feelings and thoughts.

4. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

I hope to do the same I will wave if I see ya

5. 31whitey

31whitey

I'm actually fairly certain that the feeling you speak of is STOKE...

Sometimes I feel it when I finish something, sometimes it occurs while walking my dogs, often I get the feeling while or surfing and it happens while driving my car....sometimes it just hits me....and I'm like "SHIT WHAT A GOOD DAY"

But I've also heard that its manufactured in a factory and put in our drinking water...so I just kinda go with it....

6. bonesy

bonesy

Very well put.

It is the old hot rods. That's the point.

7. Yesterday I went to the Indoor Nationals with some buddies and today went out to the garage and fired up the truck and just listened to it as it warmed up, cab stacks and rain caps echoing from the garage roof. Shut if off, back in a nice warm house to turn on the HAMB............... Life is good.

8. Spinnin' down the road in the roadster on my own is something I do a lot.

Sometimes it turns into an adventure for the day, sometimes not, but it's always fun and interesting and worth the trouble . . . said trouble being not a whole helluva lot.

Tough decisions . . fire it up, drive through the gate, lessee, turn left, turn right, hell, go straight.

They all lead to places that are as interesting as you want to make them.

The surfing and running the hot rod analogy . . . you nailed it....

9. autobilly

autobilly

For me 'it' doesn't have to be quantified, quallified or explained. Like the man said "if I have to explain, you wouldn't undrestand". It is what it is and it's within me, it's a part of who I am. I except that and let it burn. Damn what anyone else thinks, it ain't for them!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. striper

striper

I'm glad you did too, Ryan. Good blog entry and great responses the likes of which I wouldn't have expected to see on here. I guess I'm selling you guys short.

Got nothing to add that hasn't been said but thanks for tidying up my random thoughts about .....everything.

Pete

11. I like it when nobody expects me home at a certain time... Working on the car, riding a bike or motorcycle... I even have a little 9' sailboat I restored... Anybody who sails knows that you can't tell anybody when you'll be back after going sailing and that's the part of it I like the most.

12. Life-altering events can take us "into the tube" (and out the other side). They change us
    forever - open our eyes - peel another layer off our "onion".
    Whether it be a major surgery, a life-threatening disease (cancer for me), death or
    divorce, they will challenge us to look at life with a new appreciation of our mortality.
    The greatest "take-home" lesson is just another variation of the K.I.S.S. principle; the
    simple pleasures in life are the best.......
    Robb

13. I whole heartily agree! For me, it was twenty years ago going outside and beyond the tube twenty years ago this year; now, like you, it's disease.

14. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

My life has been centered around cars ever since I can remember, and always will be, it's just who I'am. I don't like sports, or much of anything else, never cared what anyone ever thought, and never will.

People may ask why I like cars so much?..... If I have to explain it you'll never understand.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Back in 1990 when I was in the midst of a terrible separation from my ex-wife, I decided to go visit my sister in San Antonio Texas in my 59 El Camino. It was done to clear my head, no radio, no companion, no nothing, just me and a few clothes.

Sure enough it worked up until I came back home east on the 408 and saw the lights of Orlando twinkling in the distance and then reality hit, I was back to the problems, my little girl who I was going to be a part time dad to, and the horrible signing of the divorce papers, call me a puss but I broke down crying right there behind the wheel.

I'm not gonna say the trip saved me but I shudder to think what would have happened had I not taken it.

16. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

The feel of the wheel, the pedals, the shifter...the sound of familiar squeeks or rattles on a rough stretch of road...the way I fit into the seat...the sounds of the engine....the heat through the floorboards...the resistance of the steering wheel and tires as a tight turn is made...the bumps and bounces...the air...the glow of the headlights...the many wonderful things that happen when running through the gears...my wife by my side, laughing with me for no reason, just because...

On and on it goes. Where I stop, nobody knows.

Gotta get me a cold weather ride!

17. slammed

slammed

Yes, no ass kisser here, Ryan. I love wandering the country side, avoid contact w/ people. Relish when you 'click' with someone who is on the same page. P.S. I'm sorry to offend/ but shit like Power Tour is flat lame-o corporate lemming fest.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  18. There are so many aspects of this hobby that mean different things to different people.

I can remember when the highlight of my rodding was getting the new Hot Rod Magazine in the mail... or the highlight was going cruising... then street racing, car shows, swap meets, building cars... It's evolved, it's changed.

If you're in it for life, it does change. Rodding is a drug, and pretty soon... the drug ain't good enough and you long for something else, something more.

The good news is... there's plenty to go around.

But do realize, the good times are now...

Sam

19. silverdome

silverdome

Ryan, I understand. I wrote a poem for an English class when I was in Junior High, I don't remember the whole thing but it ended like this "with rust and dust to fix it is a must".

I also play the guitar a little and sometimes it 's like the music is just beggin' to come out and I'll play something that I never knew before or create a little ditty.

It's an awsome feeling that helps put life into perspective.

Later, Mark

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  20. Shawn M

Shawn M

My Dad used to take my brother and I to the junkyards growing up to get parts. My brother and I would roam the yards and dream of the cars we would someday own. I remember the cars, from the 30's to the 70's. These are my earliest memories of an association with cars. The seed was planted. My life has been spent with cars. For me, however, aside from all else, the best part is the late night ride, just me, the car, the road and the night. The soul that these old cars posess surpasses anything that the automakers can dream up in the present day. Looking back at the two kids roaming the junkyards 30 years ago, however, not much has changed. We still dream about the cars we would somedayown, but we also talk about the ones we have and the ones we had. "Past the tube" with this, I can't say. Do what makes you truly happy, then you won't even look up to see.

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I took your advice that next evening and went past the tube. Sure was enjoyable and very relaxing.

Amazing how we need to be reminded of the obvious sometimes. Thanks for that Ryan.

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

I completely get it Ryan and I believe you're correct with every aspect you speak of. I guess I'm one of those "past the tube people" already. I don't hang out with hotrodders or speak about it daily although it's always on my mind. When I do talk about it I get the confused-dog tilt-of-the-head-look and it's completely okay. I know I'm not doing this for them or trying to be something I'm not. Hotrods don't fit into my small world of daily life and I don't mind it that way. It makes it more valuable to me.

I know that when it's time to put all the parts I've been collecting together I can do it here and discuss it with like-minded people but even that isn't my motivation. To me the H.A.M.B just adds to my thrill vicariously.

23. Right on! Groovy tube analogy!

Went on a road trip wed and grabbed my cousin who I grew up with and don't see often enough, just a 100 mile jaunt to pick a nitrous kit I bought off the HAMB classifieds and WOW, good times in the ride listening to the sbc rev to the 4.11 gears and glad for the heater, glad for no radio and time to bond with one of the few around me who still get it. Good memories for my happy place!

24. Abomb

Abomb

I try to go past the tube in small ways all the time.....my wife knows that if she sends me to the store for bread or milk, and I take my buick, or harley, I may be gone 'til the breads cold, or the milks warm. I look at the car hobby as infusing some of my soul into a car as I work on it and with it. I know how people say that old cars have a soul....I just happen to think that it's put there by the builder / owner.

Going past the tube to me, is reaquainting myself with the soul I installed in my car. Sometimes it doesn't even take long to do it.

25. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

So true... I love the drive all by myself. Stopping at the small town fill station to buy a coke, and the anticipation of coming out the door and seeing my car waiting for me. Taking in the stance and look that you worked so hard to achieve. That was my old ride... now I have to get the current build on the road!!!

26. Owen's Louvers

Owen's Louvers

---------------------- Peace on Earth -------------------------

Hot Rods (Jalopies) are a mix of Math, Physics and Chemistry.

These three items are on a sliding scale that is somewhat tangible.

If used in proper proportions, we are provided with energy, heat
    and a literal driving force. The forces are in balance.

We work on our Hot Rods using these three items to reach another
    level of conscientiousness that is not tangible.

Reaching "The Sweet Spot" is the higher level of conscientiousness.

There can be no "Peace on Earth" until you arrive at "The Sweet Spot" .

"The Sweet Spot" can be 74 mph @ 3400 rpm or 84 mph @ 3000 rpm,
    depending upon which point all of the reciprocating motions and
    rotating objects arrive at exactly "ONE POINT" in the universe.

Yes, "The Sweet Spot" , it should be our most sought after destination
    on our journey to Hot Rod nirvana.

An ideal condition of rest, harmony, stability, or joy.

Can you feel it ?

27. Owen's Louvers

Owen's Louvers

This eggnogg sure is good !

Attached Files:

28. FCCOOL

FCCOOL

i think i know the feeling, when i was a single i spent most of time in the car, i often slept in it, often at the beach 5 minutes from home, i would pay rent, save $30 for food and the rest went in the tank, on pay day i would step on the gas but the rest of the week i drove nice and easy so i could have enough fuel to make it till next pay, some times i wouldnt sleep and just drive around for 40 hours straight. and the car was pretty shitty then.
    when i got married i changed t a more normal lifestyle but the last 4 years rebuilding the car have been hell, i find it very hard not being able get in and drive or arrive at places in a modern car.
    i spent most my time around beaches but often drove in the country too, in the country i usually did somehow just mentally slip into another era, i had nothing to do on weekends, i did alot of unplanned long drives by myself.
    these days i have a family, i love events but when i look forward to going to events its always the trip i think of, there is alot more fun in driving a specail car on a long trip than parking it to display it but the car shows give a good excuse to take the car on a long trip
    these days definatelly are the good old days, we can but all those impossible parts from around the world, put a car together with a big old petrol engine and head out to the middle of nowere with it to a place were you can be in any era you like.
    who knows, in 50 years maybe old cars wont be allowed on the road, even petrol engines could be extinct, maybe a ford flathead v8 engine will cost a million bucks to get your hands on, now is the time to make the most of it.
    i like all the magazines at the shop, it shows that there is enough interest in my odd hobby to keep a racks or rags running, nobody at work understands a thing about what i am into, now but they must see these magazines in the shop, i dont buy many, i buy australian street machine, it has lots of usefull tips, i more often buy 50's to early sixties magazines like car craft, motor trend, honk etc of ebay.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  29. RDO_23

RDO_23

"People may ask why I like cars so much?..... If I have to explain it you'll never understand."

My Thoughts Exactly... now if I could only find a girlfriend that digs cars like I do.

30. Owen's Louvers

Owen's Louvers