Register now to get rid of these ads!

parts washer fluid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdotson, Jan 9, 2013.

1. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

what are you guys using for solvent in your parts washer. I am ready to move to a water base cleaner but I want it to clean and cut grease good. Any ideas?

2. 343w

343w

Zep sells a very good recyleable product that is EPA ok. Safty Clean sucks, stay away from those clowns! Most of the auto parts stores also carry products that are safe, the main thing is the ability to filter your solvent to make it last as long as possible.

3. GeoZ1

GeoZ1
    BANNED
    from Illinois

Mineral spirits or Stoddard solvent.

4. F&J

F&J

Do a search; there was a good thread in the last week, or less, with many opinions on products.

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

We use "purple power" from advance auto parts.....Works really good and is fairly reasonable in either one gallon or 5 gallon containers.....

6. fsae0607

fsae0607

Mineral spirits!

Water-based will smell like butt if left to sit for too long.

7. fordor41

fordor41

Low odor mineral spirits. Trick to stop your water based cleaning fluids from smelling bad is to bubble a small am't of air into it. That will stop the bacteria from growing. Doesn't take much air.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I was accustomed to using Stoddard solvent for many years. I bought it in 55 gal drums from the local Standard Oil distributor. That quantity lasted a few years and the last time I tried to buy it he said it wasn't available anymore but sold me naphtha instead. That worked ok for the actual cleaning, but talk about stink! That stuff gets pretty rank pretty quickly, a problem I never had with Stoddard solvent.

Anybody know of a source of the "real thing" i.e., Stoddard ?

Ray

9. Do you cut it with anything, or just put it in straight?

10. RPM

RPM

We use mineral spirits in 55 gallon drum.

11. 343w

343w

The problem with mineral spirits is it becomes hazardous waste when you are finished using it! Where do you guys dispose it?I guess it could be put in containers and dropped off at a waste oil recycler.

12. I always used Varsol,,haven't bought any in years but we bought it in bulk 55 gallon drums. HRP

13. oldolds

oldolds

I think most are moving to water based cleaners because of insurance reasons. So mineral spirits are out of the question. That is the problem I had. Simple Green, Purple Power are what I use, straight up! I know, once it has oil in it it will burn. The ins co. is the boss in this one.

14. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I buy mine at Central Tractor / Tractor Supply.
    Good price, Earth friendly & works .

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used Naptha for years as did most shops in this area but it highly flamable as it is also the same stuff that is in charcoal lighter fluid. And there is the problem with getting rid of it once it is too dirty.

I've got a jug of the Purple power at home that I haven't tried yet.

16. fsae0607

fsae0607

I don't dispose of it. Every so often I decant it and get rid of the sludge-filled amount in the bottom. I then top off my parts washer with fresh mineral spirits.

Yeah out here I use the "california" low-odor stuff you can get at Lowe's or Home Crapo. The CA stuff is missing come volatiles, but it still works well. Just slower and takes a bit longer to evaporate from your part especially on a cold day. I usually do a final rinse with brake cleaner and dry off with compressed air.

17. moparmuscle1

moparmuscle1

Just remember at this time of the year , water based cleaners can freeze and split your pump .

18. Beau

Beau

Zep. You get a cool barrel when you buy it! :)

19. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Low odor mineral spirits is all I ever use. Cheap & effective.