Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts store owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nitro Pontiac, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

Hi I'm seriously thinking about opening a NAPA auto parts store in my area and was wondering if anyone on here owns a NAPA or would have any advice.
    Thanks
    Bill

2. Black Primer

Black Primer

If its close to Iola, I say Go For It!. Seriously, its probably a good idea, nobody's buying new cars so they fix up what they have.

3. daves30

daves30

Its ok but you never ger rich, but its fun to work on the older cars.

4. 2-TONED

2-TONED

get er open & get fast delivery.
    our NAPA bill here every month is LARGE! go recruit all the shops in the area & get em signed up.

5. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

FWIW-

When I had an auto repair shop I always dealt with the store that had the best parts and had a dedicated staff just to answer phones and take shop orders.

As a shop owner, if I had to wait on hold or talk to an idiot, than I used a different shop. Good parts people are hard to find.

As a customer, I like NAPA. Good Products. Most of the time helpful counter staff.

If you have never owned or managed a retail establishment then you need to take some business courses. It's not as easy as opening the door in the morning and taking yesterdays profits to the bank. Trust me. A huge plus would be to own the land and building. Rent is such a killer over time.

Best of luck.

6. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Are you crazy!!!!.... Maybe I was just in it(parts) to long... but, to be fair. What are you doing now?

7. llonning

llonning

Best thing to do is treat your people very good. No split shifts, that gets old real fast. I used to have to work early one day and late the next, hated it.

Also let be known to the dealers that the counter people are not there to take abuse. I had to deal with one that screamed ALL the time. Especially if something wasn't in stock. This jerk would also abuse the drivers, like spit in their shirt pocket.

It's no wonder that I got out of the parts business!!

8. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

Take a long hard look at what you are willing(or can afford) to pay in your area. Its tough getting good people when they can go get a job for 4-6 bucks a hour(more) and just have to show up. I know there is still great people out there that are passionate about parts but, when the bills need to be paid its a whole different story. Sorry for the buzz kill but, I just wanted you to know what you are up against. I really liked it for a while but, times are changing. Either way ...Do what YOU want! And I wish you the best of luck either way!

9. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

fergenboysinc I'm a Chemist now but they're shutting down the plant I work in. I'm just looking for ideas for a job. Working for myself and not the man sounds like a better idea to me. This is just one idea I have been thinking about and thought I'd shoot this out to the HAMBers to see if it make since.

10. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I am sure it is a big investment ,carefully check to make sure you can make a good return for your money. Starting a business from scratch is hard ,can you buy an existing business from someone wanting to retire ,a business with a proven track record?

11. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

From what my local NAPA manager has told me, the parts business is really tough. The owner sold out a few years ago because it was difficult to make any money at it.The only reason it's still open, is because an owner of a few other NAPA stores bought his, as it takes a combination of owning multiple stores to make them pan out & it's the only parts store in the small town I live in. Take the advice of the previous messages above.A business back ground is a must these day's.Good luck.

12. 303racer

303racer

it is a tuff business and if you you dont half at least five hundred thousand in store stock it would would be even tuffer it is almost better to be a corporate store then to own your own because your always moving stock and dont get stuck with dead parts that are costing you money as they sit and collect dust
    another benefit of going corporate is not having to deal with dead beat accounts
    that could and will sink a mom and pop parts store

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The most important thing in the parts business USED TO BE great customer service. That you sold first line parts, and knew your stuff was a given. It was all about customer service, getting the parts and getting them to the customer as fast as possible.
    These days it is all about the cheapest stuff at an even cheaper price whenever you get around to it and the consumer waits but still pays the "LIST" oprice on the bill from the shop.

14. Well, I've been in the parts buis for 28 years and all the above is true! I wanted to be near the automobile buisness and started out washing cars as a kid at a dealership and asked to help sweep, stock or whatever whenever I could as I saw the parts end being much better than being the "Detail Tech" ( and I do have friends who make a decent living doing that by the way, difference is they own thier shop) and slowly but surely I advanced; point being, this was something I did and woke up one day and figured I was content in my "profession", and as such another day I was offered a deal to buy the store I had managed, and made a deal and then was faced with the diliema of most, down money or equity! Once I made up my mind to do it I started Ebaying and selling gasp! my collection of hot rod parts and extra cars and shortly I had the down! Now, with all this in mind several things come to mind, Yes, if you decide to go into buisness doing anything you must have the buisness sense to not piss off you opertaing capitol, make yourself a modest salary till you are well vested into your venture, and no matter what you do, educate yourself deeply before any decision is made. I still go to NAPA manager schools2-3 times a year and send help to them as well. Doing so keeps all of us in a mental state of awarness of all of the above reasons for our jobs and our customers needs. Each independant parts store I have worked at is the same and completely different!?# YES, think about that as some stores are more walkin or shop trade, is there an industrial trade in your area?
    I would recomend that you contact your local NAPA DC and attend thier store owner prospect meetings (it is a franchise and even with the monetary means, they must approve you as well as they don't want failure either) even work as a driver, counterman, and wrap yourself around the many daily activities before you make any long term decisions. Good luck with your ventures..............

15. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Times are 'a changing very fast!!!

Predicting the trends for the next 10 years is going to be the key to success.
    IMHO, there's going to be a big "made in the USA" re-surgence. People are going to be much more money concious, but they will be willing to pay a premium [slightly] for american made parts, and especially for customer service and value!

NAPA can offer you great things in that respect.

Here's a thought. Team up with a machinist and open a machine shop in the back. Used equipment can be had without spending a fortune. Hire knowledgable people who actually enjoy talking cars. Old retirees might be a good place to look.

How about a for real lobby in the front of your store? Lots of seating so locals can gather and bench-race. Public access computers so they can look up automotive facts [on the HAMB of copurse :D]
    Free coffee and doughnuts to customers. Free engine diagnostics like autozone. Maybe a car bay with a lift so you can do indoor inspections and diagnostics. [but no repairs]

Get a large parking lot and sponsor cruises and car shows.

Just think of all the cool things you would like to see in a car parts shop, and integrate those ideas into your store.

16. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

One very important topic here has not been mentioned. First of all I have had a lot of years in the NAPA business under my belt and I will be the first to attest to the quality of most of their parts and products. BUT.........being a store owner get's you nothing with them but constant pushing to do more and more and finally they will find a way to take over your business or work as said above for a much larger owner to take it, especially if you are in a good market area. Just a eye opening observation. It is definitely a win-win situation for NAPA to franchice a store. Not to decourage you, just saying tread very lightly and watch what you commit to.

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I myself would open up a NAPA, but we already have one in town, but I have come to the conclusion that I am just about wasting my time going to AZ and O'Rs, and whatever other CHEAP parts house there is. I know that NAPA works well with both old and new car owners and believe it or not, they are more reasonable than the other bozos, and most of the time have the part in stock or can get it the same day.

That is what a quality parts store is all about. It leads to word of mouth advertising and to me that is worth more than any dumb commercial on TV.

You got my vote, and good luck!

18. Yes Yes Yes all of the above !!!!!!!!! One of my customers who hails from North Dakota near the line said his local NAPA has lazyboys, a couch, coffe pot soda, and of course a tv , all near the entrance as this is the best security money can't buy, dedicated regular customers!

19. R1FIGHTER

R1FIGHTER

My buddy's dad just sold their family autoparts stores. They've been with napa for as long as napa has been around.

They had a hell of a time getting and keeping the right stock on hand. I don't know if it was pore local distribution or regional.

20. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

looks like there are a lot of great ideas in here. I say go for it!!

21. weathrmn

weathrmn

Keep a real close eye on your incoming and outgoing inventory. Make sure each account is a real account.

22. To make a SMALL fortune in auto parts today....Start out with a LARGE fortune!!!!!!!!!!

23. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

watch your invenrtory carefully, shrink will kill you. Deliveries, Quantities at counter sales, etc. Hire GOOD help, and keep them in the loop, ask questions...what are customers asking for..word on the street, etc. If $$ can support it, keep more that the "d" movers, variety and availibility is the key. "if you have it...they will come" Hours are inportant as well, if you're open when the other guys aren't...

One thing i would NOT do is have a repair site in conjunction with the store, especially not to rent out to the diy crowd. If you're fixing cars there, none of the other shops will buy from you, and if you let Peabo & Elbow rent a bay, the liability is huge!

just my .02

24. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

First thing you need to learn is never judge a customer till you've seen his money.
    So treat them all well and they will spend money.
    Have staff that know their stuff(could be the hardest part)
    Bob

25. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Earth, Texas??? No shit! That is one hell of a town! Are there any houses to rent or are for sale there?