Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Parts shed got a lean? Pull it straight! (New video from Mart).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mart, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Mart

Mart

The shed I use for parts storage had taken on quite a lean to the right. I hatched a plan to pull it straight using a heavy duty ratchet strap. Guess what? It worked!

Bit of a change of pace and subject for one of my videos, but open a cold one and see how I got on.

Mart.

catdad49, tb33anda3rd and Truck64 like this.
  2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yep my entire family are/were carpenters and growing up watched my dad do garages that way but using a come-along and eye bolts.

Once squared then a couple angled braces and they were good for another 50 + years.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Good stuff! But it looks like there is too much room in your parts shed, I think you should have lots more gear in there!

RICH B likes this.
  4. Mart

Mart

Cheers guys.
    Lostone, glad it brought back some memories for you.
    36roadster: Most of the contents was spread out over the garden so I could get access. I am having a good clear out though. With better lighting, the shed could be a useful working area. At the moment it's just a dumping ground for all kinds of tat.

Mart.

5. If you tie everything off, with left to right 2 by 4 inch lumber, same height, each wall ... you can also drop down same size stud lumber ... from ceiling joists ... to make a nice, wraparound, from ceiling shelving that also ties in its structure.

I had the same issue in my building, and decided to build some up high shelves to solve two problems.

You'll end up using plywood or OSB for shelf surface, resting on your left to right ... with the front of the shelf, resting on another left to right, supported by your ceiling drop downs.

I'm sure you get it. It's a simple dual solution, that I can provide pictures of, if needed.

6. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I would have used a sheet or two of plywood nailed or screwed to the inner wall after getting it plum.

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Mart

Mart

Yeah, plywood would have been a good idea.. Shame I never thought of it! The cls studding I bought was cheap and I got it from literally just over the road. If it were a new build I think plywood sheathing would be the ticket. This shed is about 10 years old. The other end of the shed is a bit out of kilter also but not quite so easy to put right. That'll be a job for another day.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mart.

8. Ive seen old buildings that where leaning and they placed brace poles on the sides to keep them from falling. Back during the Civil War the Yankees locked up a great number of women. (mostly Whores) in a propped up building in Lawrence Kansas. And it collapsed killing most of them. That infuriated quantrlls raiders and they sacked and burnt the town. However I don't got any video!

9. spanners

spanners

Use a jack or porta-power on the inside of the other end if you can't get to the outside. Push diagonally from the bottom corner to the opposite top corner.

10. sunbeam

sunbeam

11. Good Job Mart, I can take those crummy v8's off of your hand and free up some of that space, lol

Truck64 likes this.
  12. Have pictures somewhere....my girlfriend at the time inherited her brothers old house and the old shed he had built was going way over on the fence line which both needed to be replaced.....she was a non-believer in my old Ford wrecker - went around the shed with chains and hooked it up to that Holms 440.....slowly brought it all down inside the yard for demo - with the fence put off for another time !

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

32 years ago, I built a garden shed, 8' X 8' X 8' with a slightly peaked, composition roof. And, I'm NOT a carpenter!!! It was built on top of landscape timbers, and had a double layer plywood floor. Over time, it sank into the ground some, the timbers rotted, and it had a distinct lean to it. Got the nephew to help me, and we jacked it up getting it straight, pulled all the timbers out, did some minor repair to the 2' X 4' studs and supports, then drilled through some of the studs to install some rebar in; then it was concrete time Solid, flat, concrete floor now, and the shed's perfectly level and straight. I figure it's good for another 32 years, but I won't be here to do that repair. I was going to re-skin the shed this summer, but too many other things have been cropping up. 3 years ago I bought a Rubbermaid shed; built a treated lumber 2" X 4" framework, and covered it with double layer plywood; it all sits on gravel and can be moved if need be. Those sheds are pretty nice, and probably what I'd do again if I need another shed. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

De-parallelograming a shed !
    Thanks for the fun video, Mart

Truck64 likes this.