Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts advice for 40 ford steering box rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Jan 15, 2013.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

I searched last night and didn't see any threads on how to rebuild the steering box on my 40 . Did purchace Vern Tardel's book on steering box info though looks like a handy book . My qustion is is there chinese parts that you should stay away from ? I don't want to rebuild it and have to rebuild it again because of inferior parts . Surely somebody out there has been down this road and would have some insight . Thanks

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

forget the rebuild, put a Mustang box in it

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

4. F&J

F&J

Come DRIVE my 40 with a heavy Olds Rocket engine in it, and you will be emarrased you ever scrapped a 40 box. Sheesh, street rodders on the hamb.

My 40 sat junked for decades, and I did not even adjust the box, or grease it, or the spindles, and it steers like a dream.

5. haychrishay

haychrishay

Thanks, I'm not doin a mustang ! This is a survivor and I want to keep it that way. I just got the box apart and the worm and the sector roller have been in some serious moistier as well as the lower steering bearing. the factory made them drive right and so can I with a little help with my friends on the HAMB !

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good 40 box will drive just fine--problem may be finding quality rebuild pts-Sac Vintage has them but don't know the quality

7. F&J

F&J

Years ago Carpenter and Joblot still had NOS worms shafts and sector shafts, but they might all be gone for the exact application. The steering shaft length changed through the year models.

Some guys have modified a NOS shaft to the length they needed, if you find the wrong one.

Spadaro gets NOS parts at times, try a phone call?

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ask Richard EV8 garage on the Fordbarn...his livelihood is Ford brakes and steering and he knows which parts are usable and which are junk.

9. alchemy

alchemy

If your sector shaft itself is OK (not worn where the bushing rides), you can replace just the roller. And the worm can be replaced so you can reuse your steering shaft. But, it is very difficult to put the new worm onto your old shaft. Search the HAMB for a thread on replacing a worm.

I did this work on an F-1 box (basically the same stuff as a '40 box turned on it's side), and it is now very tight. Actually, too tight. I am thinking of replacing the bushings with roller bearings, and I've got a part number somewhere (lost) that a HAMBer gave me. Try searching that too, and then we'll both have it.