Register now to get rid of these ads!

Part2: Some guy's daughter looking for her daddy's old 1940 ford coupe...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dianalee, Apr 10, 2005.

1. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Maybe I missed it in the multiple pages here but does someone have a last date it was seen or know what state it was registered in? I might have some information:cool:

2. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I too have been reading this post with great interest...I can only hope one day that someone seeks out something I built and sold to the degree that this post/car has taken. The fact that this car seems to still exist to this day despite all the time/owners/places it's been befuddles me. I was amazed to get back a car I sold 10 years ago, let alone find something so far removed from me that it takes several keen observers on the HAMB (and essentially worldwide input) to replace the puzzle pieces of time that had once been scattered to the wind. Great job by all, and thanks Diana for posting some of the most intriguing reading on the HAMB to date! I hope you get your father's car back, I'm sure he would be one happy fellow! This whole adventure sounds like a 60 minutes piece on true love once lost~found again.

MERCMAN

3. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I will let you all know tomorrow(FRIDAY 15th) if my luck is any better getting ahold of Tom Hiser. I hope he can help us help Dianalee!

4. dianalee

dianalee

Tom Hiser in Merced, California so far as I can tell... I'm posting here instead of replying to the email with the same question, just in case anyone else had the same question, too :)

My chin still drops in amazement reading along the posts trying to pick out
    names of who else to search for or where, everyone has been so sweet! I never ever imagined that all this would happen. And yes I'm afraid I have to agree now that it might maybe not be cheap as I was thinking before that it's just in somebody's storage somewhere because I have never been able to find any pictures of it since the 70's. It just seems impossible that it would just go into thin air. But then... (I don't know how far you read back in the posts) but I had no idea it was in a movie!!! I mean yes, that's really cool, but uh-oh that means a higher cost but honestly who would think it would be famous somewhere? haha, not me for sure. So I really appreciate you saying that. But who knows? Maybe somebody (gulp) crashed it & that's why I can't find any recent pictures? And also that would mean a much lower cost again, I have no idea. This whole search for it is one big surprise after another so I'm not even wanting to dare guess what turns up next. Someone put in an email to Tom Hiser and then someone else is apparently going to visit his shop in Merced this week and also waiting on
    hearing back from him on an email since he's the last one that we all can figure out had it. So I'm sure I will or someone will post on what becomes of that :)

Oh I think it's totally bad karma to ask someone to part with something they love. Since it's not been in absolutely ANY car show pics out of the thousands and thousands that I ever found online or in any magazines (since the 70's) that I looked at, it never even occurred to me that it'd be someone else's true love. It just seems like it got parked in a garage and stayed there hybernating all this time (or worst possible thought, it was wrecked).

HAHA I think so too about the 60 minutes piece, I mean the story's just getting bigger and bigger! I sure do hope it has a happy ending.

I am so happy for her to be able to do that !!! That's the second mention of someone finding their Dad's old car so far! Way Cool! I must admit I doubt I'd change anything big that I've done either. It's easy to say oh I should have, could have, but so much better to say "I did". No stranger to working my butt off here, up to 3 parttime jobs at a time just to keep things together for my 3 boys over the years cause I believe people only get out of life what they put into it so I never learned how to 'give up', and I wouldn't change that either.

Thank you to all the new posts too from people saying where they are & offering to lend a local hand. Yes even in ENGLAND! Golly yes I've been looking at car pictures from there and any other country as well, basically everywhere I can find, since I guess a car can travel around a lot in 25 years. It sure seems like with so many people looking now that if it's "out there somewhere" it's simply GOT to turn up!!!

*** Big smiles & hugs & thanks***
    Diana

PS. oh oh has anyone happened to see any pictures of it (or even in person) at all anywhere since the 1980s?? If you have please post a note:confused:

EDIT: PS. #2 Oh MercMan said "befuddles" ~ yes same here! It's so shocking everyone knows which car it is (that still amazes me) cause to me it was always it's a car from my family, not a car that everybody knows about. But since it's sunk in that so many people really do know this exact car, it "befuddles" me too that nobody so far knows what the heck happened to it... so I'm thinking somebody somewhere must know. Too bad there's not a huge phone book directory with all the car lovers in it.

AND... last addition... yes, we tried to find the guys that had customized it before Dad but were unable to find them.

(sorry my post so long, I tried to get it all into one)

5. ~E~

~E~

I just told my girlfriend about this thread and it's the only thing she's ever responded to (car wise). It's most definitely one of the best posts I've read here (I'm a sucker for human interest pieces). Thank You H.A.M.B. people. And Diana. Now if I could only find that Mercury Monterey my grandma had- with the 390- and she drove it HARD...

6. Hip

Hip

Too bad there's not a huge phone book directory with all the car lovers in it.
    But Diana, there is, and your here!:D My brother-n-law lives in Merced and is a gearhead also so im going to put him to work too. If the cars been seen all around the country like guys are sayin, then maybe its still in the show circiut touring and/or on static display somewhere or could posably be in cold storage like in the Peterson's basement waiting to be displayed or go back out on tour. Just my input cause i really wanna see this happen.

7. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Diana check your email...I think you will like what you have :)

8. dianalee

dianalee

I thank you from the bottom of my heart to the moon & back down to earth again. X's & O's to you & yours :D Diana

9. News????

Found????

Come on....spread the word...we are on the edges of our seats here.

Dave

10. joerox

joerox

i have been following this thread and it keeps getting better and better, i am relatively new to the HAMB but this type of thing is why i joined, good luck diana, i am also calling shotgun on the movie rights to this story... and when we are all done getting diana her father's ford back lets start looking for my 1st sporty... anything needed in jersey let me know

11. dianalee

dianalee

Oh man I wish I could say that, but I can't. Not found. WildWilly68 was just really super sweet and even though I said thank you by email I thought I should say thank you here, too since he put a message here.

*** Smiles, Diana ***

OH OH if I found it, I'd be dancing screaming happy happy joy joy all over the screen, and ya'll would be the first first first to know cause the computer is the closest thing to me, well, other than the dog who INSISTS on sleeping under my chair.

12. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

My computer has been out for a couple days and this has been driving me nuts wondering what was going on....I cant believe what i have missed out on..That is truly amazing that it is the same car...After you started this post that yellow one flashed into my mind,,,cause lets face it...You dont hear about to many radically kustom 40's....That one from the movie has been stuck my head since the 1st time i saw that damn movie...You would think the blown 57 (project x) would be the favorite...but that 40 was it for me...I just wished they showed more of it in the movie.....I'm over joyed for you and hope your Dad is able to see his ol' car again in person....
    My dad had a 41 when i was born..He worked on that car for along time eventually having to sell it to provide for the family...I remember the day he sold that car....Just this past year i tracked down the guy he sold it to only to have the guy say 'I have been waiting for this call,,,you want your Dads car back dont you?'...I was floored to think he still had it after all of these years...He told me he had given the car to his nephew who is handicapped but has loved the car ever since he was a kid....Although my Dad has no interest in the 41 anymore it is nice to know where it is....That was the car that started it for me....I cant wait to see how this story turn out...Hell, it would be just awesome for the mags to do some kind of coverage on that car and give it the credit it deserves after all these years....

Dirty

13. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

One of my guys has a shop in Modesto, restoring old race cars and building bonneville cars.....I will send this to him and see if he can help locate it, if its still in or around Modesto...he is pretty well connected to find this....sure hope he can help.

-Nick

14. dianalee

dianalee

Well I found it, sorta.

I talked with Tom Hiser today finally on the phone and he said that a man named Danny McNamara has it in Merced, California on 21st Street.. That he's (Tom's) tried to buy it back from him (he sold it to Danny) but Danny won't sell it back.

Bittersweet ending. At least it's still alive.

Just don't know what else to say.

Keep Smiling,
    Diana

15. junk runner jr

junk runner jr

This can't be the end. Your dad is going to have to go see it at least...:confused:

16. Jey

Jey

I just looked up mcnamar's in merced CA, only two listed in the books.

:(

neither are Danny.

17. diana don't give up just yet. call the guy and tell him the story. he may change his mind. or atleast try to go see it and take some pictures

18. dianalee

dianalee

Well if Danny won't sell it to Tom Hiser (who most assuredly has more money than I do) I can't imagine that he'd sell it to me and surely not at a reasonable price. I found all these cars at Rich's auto body here ( http://www.richs-autobody.com/richsautobody/index.cfm?Section_ID=21&Page_ID=172 ) so these guys are so way incredibly out of my league it's not even funny. 30-40 years over me.

The only thing I found online for Danny after I was off the phone with Tom Hiser was http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/1752/1973Islip1.html which is horribly old.

Of course I will tell Dad & Mom that the car IS still alive & that it is in Merced, too. Merced is (yes, I already looked before I called Tom Hiser again) about 150 miles from my parents.

**** HUGE BIG GIGANTIC THANK YOUS **** It's just been really an incredibly emotional last week & the best part of course is you all .:)

-Diana

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

you must make arrangements for your father to meet the current owner and see the car.

the current owner has to be receptive to the original owner, for historical interest alone.

have your father take with him all it's history, he will gain audience I have no doubt.

take a camera and convince the owner to let him ride in it one more time.

who knows, maybe your dad will bring it home, maybe he will find closure.

just don't stop now.

Paul

20. dianalee

dianalee

I've been going through and changing the image text on the pages with the pictures of the coupe, removing the "lost" parts of pages & replacing w/ updates as to where it was found & what Tom Hiser said on the phone w/ me when I finally got to talk with him today. So to keep you all 'in the know' for all the details... here it goes:

"I did talk with Tom. H. who had put in a standard back seat & a Buick V8 engine in it. (Standard backseat meaning the seat doesn't flip anymore to access the trunk, you actually have to remove the seat to access the trunk now.) He did say that the Flathead V8 is still at Rich's Auto Body and it still runs great. He said he tried to buy the coupe back from Danny M. but was told no. He also said that when he had it primered (before it was painted it's yellow color) he put on a custom license plate that read out loud said: "You ugly too" (like as in U UGLY 2) because he said people would tell him the car looked ugly in primer. Shame really I think, of course, I am biased, that license plate would never match the coupe."

I agree that the current owner would maybe like to know the history of the car so I did call California's DMV (which is worse than trying to talk to a real person at MCI) trying to get something better than 21st street for Danny McNamara who is not actually listed in the phone book online that I saw either and they said they couldn't give me that information but that the registration was a non-op. (Which would maybe explain why it's not in those thousands & thousands of car show pics online?) Apparently they're pretty strict w/ personal info and so okay, fine. I'll have to talk with Mom & Dad and see what they want to do... after I calm down a bit.

Smiles,
    Diana

P.S.
    I'm dog sitting for a week starting tonight and have to get ready for a big dog to be in my house (I just have a little 12-pounder) so I'm thinking I have to move anything breakable within tail-wagging range high up. I'll probably be away from the computer for a while doing that and then introducing the dogs when Sadie (the visiting dog) meets Blazer (my dog). Okay, maybe until tomorrow... I have no idea what to expect with those two together.

p.s.s. I did too want to let you all know that Tom was perfectly nice on the phone, especially considering he must have been busy at work and here I am calling out of nowhere. He did have the decency to say, after telling me what he'd changed while it was there, that 'but your dad did all the hard stuff" so I thought that was pretty cool.... makes me smile & think, yep, that's my dad. :) Makes a girl feel extra proud :)

21. If you know any police buddies, they can pull that info for you. There are ways to access that data....

22. It can't end this way, hopefully Hiser can provide more info and put everyone together . And by the way, this is the best Friday Night read in a long time.

23. jangleguy

jangleguy

Pretty hard to believe that no HAMBers in the Merced area know McNamara. Can't someone give this guy a call and explain the situation? Damn it, I want a happy ending! Dianes dad should at least tell McNamara the history, and one last ride doesn't seem like too much to ask after all this...

24. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Well,I don't know about anybody else,but I ended up buying a movie I had never heard of before because of this thread. Ended up buying American Graffetti,too. Believe it or not,but I have never seen the whole movie.

25. jangleguy

jangleguy

Uh (can't believe I didn't think of this before), wouldn't Mr. Hiser be willing to contact Mr. McNamara about this? Diana: when you ask Hiser about this, be sure to bat your eyelashes a lot.....

26. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I don't understand all the tears . . . .

Does anyone really expect that this car is going to be for sale? Not if the current owner loves it . . . .and isn't that all you would really want?

If I sold a custom and found out later that it had been well cared for over the years and the later owners all seemed to appreciate what I had done and not bastardized it I would be really happy.

what the hell is with all the "bring it home" comments? . . . it sounds like it is home, with the guy in Merced.

With dad's talents (that are apparent in the old photos of the car) maybe he should be encouraged to build another one. . . the car is really great

I think we got the happiest ending we could get.

27. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

Well if I hadn't got off work so damn late I would have beat you all to the punch. On my way thru Merced today I stopped by Rich's and talked with Tom Hiser face to face. He said he sold car to Danny MacNamera. I didn't get the idea that he was interested in getting ahold of him. I don't know what he told Diana. One thing he did tell me that I didn't see Diana post is that he still has the front bumper. If you can't get the car from Danny maybe TOm will sell you back the bumper. Anybody in Merced may wish to stop by MacNamera's to see car. Where on 21 st st. East, west? Did hear through a friend that he may not be happy? to see anyone about the car. Not sure if it's the same guy, but I wouldn't go banging on his door a 10pm unannounced if you get my drift. This is far from over!

lostone likes this.
  28. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I don't remember his name but is that the guy with fiberglass tbucket"miss behavin" and the "spirit of Modesto" if so pretty cool guy. Got lost looking for a customer's house and stopped by his house cause his bucket was out front. Rod

29. Hip

Hip

Ok, my bro-in-law there in Merced was Security Police at Castle AFB in the next town over. Retired now but has cop buddies in Merced. Im going to have him do some snoopin and get an idea of what this Danny's like and see if he can easily be approched. I'll have him check on the address and see if he can inconspictously(sp) try and meet him. My bro-in is also a little scammer and caniver so he gets things done. I agree, we cant let this drop!!! I feel like we just fumbled the ball, tie score last few seconds in the Super Bowl!!!:eek:

30. dianalee

dianalee

Yes, it is a "blast" so much better than if it had been wrecked or turned into a completely different machine.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Well maybe it did/will spawn something else, like someone actually taking the chance of trying to find another old car from the family. (Won't know if ya don't try!)

^^ I still think the same thing, if it's his favorite car ever & he loves it to death & polishes it at least once a week & makes sure nothing ever leaks or gets wet, etc. etc., great! Someone has it who at least is cherishing it enough to take the best care possible of it.

Hey I think that's great!!! A lot of people just "will never get it" = will never understand being in love with a car, but if this whole thread can get a non-car-guy (or girl) to go "whoa", that's super fantastic!

Please see the above, don't be sad, it IS a happy ending, it is found! It didn't catch fire, go off a bridge & drown or get wrecked by some kid who didn't know how to drive. (steering a car NOT = driving)

Well I DID order the VHS tape of Hollywood Knights for him from amazon (under $12.00 with shipping)

I've had at least 2 comments in private/by email that perhaps that would not be such a great idea. However... perhaps just at least not "long distance". I think perhaps next time I am down in California that I may make a trip to see him. I'm basically a petite 5'1" walking smileyface so I don't think he (Danny) would mind at least conisidering hearing the idea from me that he & my Dad meet no matter how hm.... well, how he may possibly be & I would really like to see the car (version 2005).

That is such a good point, me too! Also, please realize this thread alone is happy news because it did let Dad & Mom know that the car Dad dedicated so much work to over so many years wasn't just seen by car fans at car shows, but hundreds of thousands of people on the Big Screen (well, at least on TV) and maybe even got some people into rods that wouldn't have otherwise thought they were cool. That's HUGE!!! The rewards of his time & effort over 9-10 years were enjoyed by a LOT of people ~ that is so cool! PLUS, since the coupe stayed stuck in so many people's heads (even 25 years later) fantastic, he did good, Rex and the Texera brothers did good before him, and Tom (although WHY Yellow?!?) did good, too. So, smile! :)

~sighs~ I'm actually really sorry you don't understand.

As I said back on another page of this: "Oh I think it's totally bad karma to ask someone to part with something they love. Since it's not been in absolutely ANY car show pics out of the thousands and thousands that I ever found online or in any magazines (since the 70's) that I looked at, it never even occurred to me that it'd be someone else's true love. It just seems like it got parked in a garage and stayed there hybernating all this time (or worst possible thought, it was wrecked)."

Of COURSE there was a chance that the car could have been for sale, owner could have been in a nursing home, could have been in someone's garage just collecting dust, could have been drastically modified or could have been wrecked could have ____ ANYTHING is possible, however highly unlikely :p But also of COURSE a person never knows until they try & find out for SURE. Life isn't worth living without taking chances (at least to me).

Naturally.

I believe the "bring it home" comments are in reference to the car being with the one that loves it. IF it's truly loved by the one that has it now, then yep, it's home.

~~~ I hope I didn't miss anything :)

To: Everyone that posted private messages on the board or sent emails directly to me... I'm going through the letters & WILL respond if I have not already, just going through them one by one tonight. :)

If I made something be the best it could possibly be... and then had to sell it... but in doing so resulted in inspiring lots of other people make lots of other cars be the best they could possibly be... I'd be pretty darn happy. Daddy never would have known that what he was such a huge part of had such an impact on so many people if I never found you and you and you and you and you haha all of you (and those people that found me because of the forum here) so I really truly thank all of you for helping :cool:

Diana
    [email protected]
    http://www.beyondthemedia.com/coupe/index.html

ps. It took me about an hour to re-read through all the posts & write all that. So if there's something posted while I was doing that (which happened already a few times before, oops I'm sorry, I didn't mean to skip over it.)