Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Parking in the Hot Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike in tucson, Mar 25, 2018.

1. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

PARKING (when we used to do those things)
    My favorite parking spot was one that I discovered just east of town…Springfield, Missouri.
    There were intersecting blacktop roads out in the country. About 1/8 mile up each road, someone had planned on what looked like a residential street in the form of an “L” that met the two blacktop roads. These two streets were somewhat paved with blacktop and had a pea gravel overlay. From where they turned off the blacktop roads, there was only a culvert and the entries were overgrown so you had to look closely for them, especially at night. So each of these intersecting streets were about 1/8 mile long to form a square with the two blacktop roads…..so the corner of the two unused streets was a perfect place to park. If someone tried to sneak in, you simply went out the other side….and since the corner was slightly uphill from the two blacktop roads, it was easy to see anyone turning into the special place. There were no houses in sight so nobody “just drove by” to upset the moment.

My only mistake was that I told my buddy about the place. One night I had just arrived with my girlfriend when another car turned in. Fortunately, we had just settled in and our clothes were intact so I fired up the car and quickly exited the opposite side. The next day, I told my buddy that we had been discovered…he laughed….it was him and his girl arriving!! We developed a system of “who used the parking spot on what night” to make sure that didn’t happen again. I know I tossed many a banana peel out the window at that spot. With the windows down, you could hear a car coming on that pea-gravel road…safest place I have ever seen. I am sure it is all houses now….too bad.

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I can't share mine, I still use it.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Best place I ever found was right in town! Pull over and shut it off. No one ever thinks a thing about a car parked with all the other cars on the street. Worked great.

SPark

5. Right under a street light! Light shining straight down doesn't show what's going on inside the car.
    I had one on a dead end logging road that had many short trails off it. (public hunting land) I suspect these turnouts had been built/maintained by a previous generation for the same purpose that I used it for. I/we only used it for a couple of years, but I never got found. It got sold off and now there are 1/2 dozen houses in there. (One belongs to a nephew)

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  6. Paradise by the dashboard lights. :D HRP

7. If this vans a rockin' don't bother knockin' :)

Stogy, wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Only in Holland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! untitled.png

Drew Burgess and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

prayin for the end of time

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You bad boys...lol.
    Yeah, "parking" is classic...but the truth is, I didn't do much of that.
    How about driving...down the expressway...during the day...in her little white and gold 4spd Mustang II...lol. (long before my wife)
    I was driving. She didn't have a stitch on and was facing me. I had to look around her to see where we were going...lol.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do remember "parking" in our '51 Buick Roadmaster. In our back yard. I know...not in the spirit of the thread. Anyway, we were in the front seat. The reflection in the chrome waterfall radio grill was AWESOME! We were both like, "Hey...look at that...wow!" Lol.

12. Slopok

Slopok

Submarine races, those were the days!;)

zzford, Stogy, Tim_with_a_T and 2 others like this.
  13. indyjps

indyjps

2 bridges east of my hometown that sat way higher than the surrounding fields, farm roads.
    Could sit there and see all around, if someone was headed your way, cruise away slow with the lights off and just jog roads until theyre gone.

When the corn was up, always scoped out waterways in the fields to see which were accessible or had a curve close to the road.

14. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Oh yea, the submarine races.
    Back when there used to be access to the Bosque along the Rio Grande river through Albuquerque, and the 2 towns to the south ) Los Lunas and Belen. YOu could run down the ditch road and about every 1/4 mile or so there were tracks leading out to the river. You could always find a spot.

Either that or up on the mesa west of Belen. You could park right on the edge of the mesa and look out over the lights of town.

Tons more "good spots" in and out of town if she was willing.....LOL

Bobby

15. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Yeah, one summer I visited a friend in Lincoln Park, Michigan. That was what the kids did in high school. Naturally they always posted a look out on the sidewalk. They didn’t want Senior Citizens going into Cardiac arrest.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

16. rmorris

rmorris

Being from Indiana, we went out to country to Listen to the corn to grow.

17. BJR

BJR

With a van you can park in the middle of the city and no one can see what's going on.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

WHAT.?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of orange groves back when I was in high school and JC. Good times until I got drafted.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Anybody remember the “Ventures” TelStar album with the White Bucket overlooking the City lite up at night? I can still hear that tune in my mind. I still see the Chrome Reverse wheels on that Ride. I don’t think that tune had anything to do with Corn growing.

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember using a large bakery employee parking lot among many other cars at night quite a bit right in the middle of town. Surprised we were found.
    A policeman caught us in the act shining a flashlight right into the car.
    Can’t beat the two hour drive from Columbus I had.
    It was a wonder I didn’t run off the road.

22. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Bakery parking lot.... a place to get bred?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    chryslerfan55, rmorris, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  23. Slopok

Slopok

Or how about a long john???:rolleyes:

24. pitman

pitman

25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Before marriage, first wife (girlfriend then) and I would tool my cool '36 Five Window up to Stevens Creek Dam. Park alongside the dam, on the incline alongside the road. I'd 'nose downhill' because of usual low battery and high compression. Put it in reverse, the '39 box did a better job than the E-brake!
    Had an Eddie Meyer high-stacker, two 97s. Vacuum port between the stacks was a previously worn 1/8" pipe thread...my hurriedly prepared 'date chariot' had a 3/8" SAE bolt, wrapped with black electrical tape and gently pushed into the vacuum port.
    'Horizontal joining' was aligned, Apollo rising...We had LINK UP!' Er...until the night lit up with bright red-and-white lights...I thought it was 'ecstasy'! -but it wasn't. It was 'the heat'! The Man, fuzz, Johns, Badge Bandits...I was in an impossible position!
    When 'dismounting', I must have kicked the clutch pedal momentarily...the car rolled about 4 feet, the envious cop yells, "Hold IT!" The car stops 'lurching', and the cop shines his light in girlfriend's face... he wasn't much older, just...square... LOL
    Gives us 'stiff warning'. "There are weird individuals loitering around, just waiting for some kids to...well, you know..."
    He got in his 'unit', so I put 'Obscenity' ('36's name) in 2nd gear, turned on the key, and rolled forward to pop the clutch. "FFFSSSHHHHH>>>" I shut it off, WTF??? Opened Obscenity's hood, and there's an empty hole where my makeshift plug had been.
    Janet had an eyebrow pencil, and a scarf I wrapped around to seal the vacuum. LOL We left before Elwood P. Fuzz had any other ideas...

After we were married, new wife Janet was talking with (answering lots of inane questions!) a doctor, to do a pre-natal. We were living at my Grandma's, until our new apartments were finished. We 'behaved' under Grandma's roof...
    The nice doc asked Janet about her sex drive.
    "Oh, it's usually Stevens Creek in Mike's '36. About 6 miles..."
    That one was destined for failure from the start... True story, BTW.

26. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Stogy likes this.
  27. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Where's the usually call for pictures? :p:D

anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SR2.JPG

:rolleyes: "Tanks for the Memories"

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    chryslerfan55 and rmorris like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

= Happy Hamb...:D

30. rnscustom

rnscustom

Great Hill was the spot , cars would all line up at night . Had a friend with benefits till I got married , anywhere was fine even the cemetery a few times .

chryslerfan55, rmorris and Stogy like this.