Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Parking brake cables, which ones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalturk1, Jan 17, 2017.

1. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I just shortened a Ford 9" and am ready to install it (Had S-10 in it) into my 41' Willys coupe. I'd like to start-off by fitting a set of rear Emergency brake cables on while it's apart, then figure the lever setup and front cable after... Ideas? Willys at Ruby Tuesdays.JPG
    (Not interested in using a setup that actuates hydraulically).

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. Bigal: Try this site.. They supplied all the parts for my E/brake system ... Everything from the cables ,brake lever , and all the linkage ,etc.. http://www.controlcables.com/
    Give them a call..
    Stan

3. squirrel

squirrel

sounds to me like you're going at it backwards...the cables are pretty much all the same at the back end, and the specific ones you want, are determined by the front end....what handle/pedal you will have to operate it.

Yeah, it's a pain to have to take the brakes apart again to put them in, but that's life.

4. Since it may make a difference which cable you choose based on the brake diameter and E-Brake lever (inside the brake drum), I would start there. The correct cable for the brake assembly used. Then attach the cable end brackets where you like and go from there.

5. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

I'm looking to "Old-school" /Invent a set-up,
    not fond of "All in one" store bought kits... But thanks anyway!

6. squirrel

squirrel

Just don't assemble the brakes, until you get the cables and the handle installed.

Drum brakes mostly all seem to use the same rear cable end.

Good luck! nice to see someone actually installing a parking brake...I have them on all of mine

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  7. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The nine inch Ford axle assembly I had narrowed for my 38 Chevy had the original rusted park brake cables cut off with a gas ax so I had to start from scratch. In my case the park brake was an old Vega unit mounted in the center. I went on Rock Auto and found that the axle assembly I had, used a long cable and short cable since the original application had the park brake mounted on the drivers side. I simply bought two of the short cables, a park brake repair kit (DORMAN 21119 Brake Cable Repair Kit; Universal; Repair kit ) and used the connectors that I had used with the original 57 Chevy rear end I had used before. Sorry no pictures:( If you want them let me know, the car is up on blocks right now anyway.

8. Control Cables worked for me...I put the parking brake on the left hand side of the driver seat (between the seat and door)...it has worked well on my '39 for nearly 20 years...used 14 ga. electrical cable for a mock up on length, then after measuring, had that length made up by control cable. g-willys

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Look at Lokar. They have the handle and cable set up.

Gary

kelzweld likes this.
  10. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought the Lokar kit minus the handle and used the model A emergency brake handle I had. Just had to fab up a mounting bracket to mount it to my top loader tranny. Sits in almost the stock location in my A roadster. I also have a 9 inch rear end and all the parts worked fine. The cables are extra long so you have to trim to the length you need. Just marked and cut them with a cut off disk. Pretty simple really. Could probably use the same kit and then connect it up to a stock Willys emergency brake handle. Heres a couple pics. You can just see it sticking up inside the body in the second shot.

Attached Files:

Imwalkin likes this.
  11. manyolcars

manyolcars

thank you for the part number, just ordered some

12. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

-----------------------------------------------
    OK, send your E-brake photo, Thanks!

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_0427.JPG IMG_0430.JPG Bigalturk1, sorry I didn't see your request, here are some pictures, the car was not jacked up very high and I am skinny but not skinny enough) Above is a picture of the Vega Park brake as you see it in the car as well as a close up of a very simple bracket to affix the short park brake cable in place.
    The first shot below shows the Vega Park brake mated to a 57 Chevy bracket tied the Park brake repair cable to the short brake cables coming off of the backing plates. Note it appears there are two are duplicates.
    The next picture shows the finely fabricated bracket where the brake cable is affixed as well as the connector for the two cables.
    IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0425.JPG IMG_0426.JPG

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  14. mvee33

mvee33

Hi Bigal, In my 35 used a 1937 Ford firewall mounted handbrake lever and 1940 pickup cable linked to a 60s Ranchero rear cable to both rear wheels. I built a small chassis crossmember with the hole to locate the 40 pickup cable, and used an early Ford equalizer to the Ranchero cable which was shortened and crimped to suit. You will need to create locating brackets for the rear Ranchero cable conduits from the 9 inch, aiming them to the crossmember hole. Check this site. good luck.
    http://www.hotrod.com/articles/1007sr-1940-ford-e-brake/#1007sr_09_o-1940_ford_e_brake-cables

15. bigalturk1

bigalturk1

Looks like a neat setup!
    What I decided to do was use a L&R rear cable from an S10 to match my Chassis, I already modified & installed the 9" rear (From a 66' Ford Bronco) and will finish the job next week.
    Looks like I'll be opening up the wheel wells a bit on the Willys but being a fiberglass body it's not a big deal. As far as an E/brake lever, I'll see if I can find one at a junk yard.
    By the way, thanks for the info!