Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parking brake and floor shifter problems, Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, May 8, 2010.

1. robleticia

robleticia

Alright, before you guys give me crap, I did try searching before asking!! I am trying to install a 3 speed floor shifter from National Chevy Assoc. in my '51 Chevy and the shifter arms are hitting the e-brake linkage that is mounted on the trans crossmember. Anyone ever had this problem? Can I just remove all the original e-brake stuff and go with a junk yard floor mount brake or maybe after market? Do both cables really need to be hooked up? Yes I want the car safe, BUT I ALSO WANT THAT FLOOR SHIFTER!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. robleticia

robleticia

Alright, no one has answered so I am going to ditch the factory e-brake and all the brackets. It will be less crap on my firewall and under the car anyway. I guess I will just "punt" on the e-brake re-attachment. Thanks for all the input!:mad:

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

Damn man,you give up easy,just like that standard tranny might do on a hill and ruin your car,you need to relocate the cable bracket or build something that will work.a good e-brake on a standard shift car or truck is a necessity not a luxury.make it work.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

+ 1 on the e-brake. You give up that easy you fail hot rod 101,summer school for you!!

5. fleetside66

fleetside66

Yes, do install an E-brake. Here's one that I installed from a junk yard Toyota, which wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Of course, I did have my floor panels out, so your's might be a little more cumbersome to install. [​IMG]

6. RDR

RDR

My 52 has a peddle by the left side kick panel....think it came from a 70s GM pickup...but don't remember for sure...works fine and has none of the original trans/crossmember linkage as the cable from the pedal hooks into the axle cables with a Y adjuster (Nova rearend style)...never did like the handle in the middle of the dash anyway and get better leverage with the foot pushin' than the hand pullin' for sure! .....hit the wrecking yards... by the way....what did National Chevy Ass. have to say about that hitting?...ask them what the fix is..

7. Most cheapo foreign cars have an e-brake that bolts to the floor..... adapt

It's called an EMERGENCY brake. Don't leave home without it.

8. robleticia

robleticia

I'm not giving up! Just didn't want to stop progress! By the time I got it installed they were closed. I will call them today for sure. The shifter is supposed to be bent to miss the bench seat and its a straight one so I need to find out whats up with that too! It's going to have an e-brake no matter what! I was just wanting to ditch all the factory stuff and was curious if anyone had done it, what handle did they use, and how did it work. Can't I just remove ALL the original brackets and linkage and tie the two cables into one and use a floor brake from another car? I cut all the floor pans out (they had cancer) and it looks like the perfect time to resolve the shifter, e-brake, and redo all the brake lines now while there is plenty of room! Thanks for the help guys!