Register now to get rid of these ads!

panel upholstery newbie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1948stude, Nov 27, 2011.

1. 1948stude

1948stude

I have a door panel made up for my stude truck and I have it fitted and holes cut that I need, but I am a little unsure what to do next to put the material on. Here’s why, where the window molding meets the door the thickness of the gaps only big enough for the panel thickness, not the panel plus the material. I was thinking of just cutting the material and not folding it over to the back side and gluing but I am not sure that would look good - any ideas. Also I went to find small staples for my little staple gun and the shortest is 1/4” but a caliper tight on the material and the panel board measures 3/16 - is there a tool I do not know about to staple the material folded over on the back side- paper stapler went through to the front too??? Here a few pics of how far I’ve gotten. As always thanks in advance
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

Join the upholstery social group. Lots of good info, and help there.

You can glue the back side, dont need staples.

You need to trim, sand the top edge about 1/8 away from your door and fold the material over.

3. Hank Turd

Hank Turd

"Butt" the panel up against the garnish molding if it is that tight up against the door. And you will want foam on the panel. I never staple on the back of my panels. A good adhesive will work perfectly.

4. magoo

magoo

cut the panel at the edge of the garnish moulding.Dont fold the material over the top edge.Take the garnish moulding off then glue the material to the door under where the garnish moulding goes before refitting the garnish moulding