Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pancaked Hoods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ekimneirbo, Apr 26, 2020.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo
    from Brooks Ky

So you sectioned the cab and doors too ? The bed looks a lot better sitting higher in relation to the back of the cab.
    Wife came downstairs while I was looking at your truck. She really liked it too, especially the color. Then she asked me when mines going to be done ?

loudbang likes this.
  2. jvo

jvo

I did this one for a friend a few years ago. Don't remember exactly how much it was dropped at the front, but it was 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inches I think. Just marked a line right around the circumference of the hood in the middle of where I thought it might be easiest to weld and metal finish.
    After that, I pried the two halves apart, so the hood could sink inside the bottom piece. Dropped it 1 1/2 inches, and put a few sheet metal screws in it. Sent it back to the guy to look at and put it on his truck. Told him to move it up or down to see what position he liked it best at, then screw it back together again at that position and bring it back to me. He lives 4 hours away.
    First of all, he wanted it welded together in one piece. The original design has a dropped channel for the trim piece to sit into. He wanted it smooth on top. So I replaced all that channel down the middle with a 1 1/8 wide strip of 18 gauge cold rolled sheet. Two welds an inch apart down the middle of the hood. After that, I cut around the perimeter to drop it and sent it to him.
    After getting the hood back, I marked the cut line, removed the sheet metal screws, and cut off the excess material. Spot welded back together, etc. Spot with mig, grind down tacks, then tig weld the whole seam.

After the drop, there is a big gap at the front edge. I tried to mock it up by just prying the two pieces together, but the leading edge of the hood had too much slant. Thus, I cut it right over the front, where the photos show, and moved the whole front edge forward, then put a filler strip in on the opening left across the top of the hood.

IMG_3504.jpg IMG_3505.jpg IMG_3506.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3508.jpg IMG_3509.jpg

town sedan, loudbang, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  3. jvo

jvo

And a few more pics. IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3510.jpg IMG_3511.jpg IMG_3512.jpg IMG_3507.jpg IMG_3510.jpg IMG_3511.jpg IMG_3512.jpg IMG_3513.jpg IMG_3514.jpg

I forgot to add, when you add it all up, there is about 28 feet of welding in that hood.

4. Dusty roads

Dusty roads

NOTE: I sectioned the hood 3". The cab was channeled over the frame by 3" (note the pictures, before and after, at the running board. you will see the change).

cab floor.jpg

Up right cab.jpg

Thank your wife for me, she has expensive taste. The paint is Spies Hecker (US) and is only found on the Bentley, and now on my F1.

Here is a Youtube on building of the F1. You should find more pictures that are of your interest.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  5. Yes, modern magazines are quite good at 'legitimising' bad or wrong information. They create new 'truths' which catch on, which in turn makes it even harder for people who know the real truth to correct things. It is frustrating.

town sedan likes this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo
    from Brooks Ky

loudbang likes this.
  7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Slightly OT comment, but it fits with the misuse/misappropriation of terms. Judging from recent decades, I am one of the last living human beings who remembers the first series Buick V8 was originally referred to as “Nail Valve” for several years., not the now ubiquitous term “Nail Head”.

It was, after all, the small head diameter of the valve head that prompted the observation they looked more like ‘nails’ than valves. The heads themselves had no relationship to nails.

But popular usage, not correct terminology, usually wins. Take for example the popular phrase... “I could care less”......The speaker is trying to say he/she does not care at all. But if you could care less, it follows you do care some amount. As opposed to the correct phrase, “I couldn’t care less”.

Carry on.

ekimneirbo and loudbang like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw this one at the Portland roadster show a few years back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One at the 2014 Portland Roadster show that was seriously unfinished but that is better for showing the seam on the hood where they cut it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pancake hood on an AD at the 2012 Portland roadster show.
    [​IMG] Truck has too much OT for here stuff to post more photos here.

ekimneirbo, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo
    from Brooks Ky

Without meaning to be argumentative, the only applicable official definition shown in the Merriam Webster dictionary is "to flatten" with no other requirements about how it is done. When we get to using it in a specific (and esoteric) manner in a "slang" type of usage, the question then becomes.......Who gets to officially decide what it means? There really isn't any correct answer, because it gets adapted or evolves if people desire to adapt it. Personally I don't care who uses it and how they use it, as long as both people in the conversation grasp the general idea that someone is trying to convey. Its like asking someone who is thirsty if they want a Coke......everyone knows you don't actually have Coke as your only choice.

Esoteric: known only to a few (or officially : intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.) My Machine Shop Classroom Instructor taught me that word and I never forgot it!

Machinists refer to 1/10,000th of an inch as a "tenth"..........incorrect usage for sure, but every other machinist knows what someone means when they say "its "two tenths" undersize. So for my purposes, as long as I get the jist of what someone is conveying to me.....thats all that I care about. ;)