Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pancake Hood

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jamoke, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Jamoke

Jamoke

received_452511568741536.jpeg received_452511568741536.jpeg Thinking about pancaking the hood on this 49 Ford has anyone attempted this did you like the results any pictures before and after would help or should I go out and find another Hood in try it

Attached Files:

2. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Panel shut lines make alot of difference in my eyes but its ALOT of work, ask me how I know, and yes try another hood first [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2

4. Jamoke

Jamoke

Does it enhance the appearance of the front of the vehicle by pancake

5. 'Mo

'Mo

Jamoke, Some clarification is in order.
    Old timers knew "pancaked" hoods as redefined opening parameters (i.e., no overhang, hence "pancaked".)

[​IMG]

Younger guys have coined the term for "sectioned" hoods. (i.e., reducing the profile.)
    To which do you refer?

[​IMG]

To which do you refer?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    quick85, Torchie, 296moon and 4 others like this.
  6. Yes, be more clear as to exactly what your going to do to it. My advice is not to necessarily use a different Hood but to be sure your metal working talents are up to the Job. Tin is just Tin weather it's a Hood or a trash can. Can you fit and finish a weld seam. That's the only question you should be asking yourself. Now if your thinking of removing some of the Peak on the front of that hood your going to need something other than stock when it comes to the Radiator and air deflector to be able to do that. There is no space to come into, above them. Mo is correct about the true job of Pancake a hood.

'Mo, RICH B and Torchie like this.
  7. alchemy

alchemy

Huh? People think the term "pancake" now means sectioning? I always thought it still meant reducing the opening like the Earnst Chevy pic above. Anyone who tries to redefine ancient terms should be banned from the HAMB.

As for the OP, I don't see an improvement for your car. I can guarantee you will not like it for ease of tuning the engine.

RICH B, Hombre and 296moon like this.
  8. 296moon

296moon
    from england

Thanks Mo, from an "old timer".....................................

'Mo and Torchie like this.
  9. Jamoke

Jamoke

Thank you so much for your input I wasn't sure how it would look or if it would be worth it I think I'm going to leave Henry Ford to what he has designed and leave it alone

j hansen and quick85 like this.
  10. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

leave it alone. try a different hood. car looks amazing the way it is.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never been a fan of them with the smaller opening. I have been around one and that one was a pain in the ass to do anything on the engine on even just checking the oil.

12. goldmountain

goldmountain

Not the Earnst car, Harry Bradley's.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

'Mo and stanlow69 like this.
  13. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The Earnst`s Chevy. Scan0071.jpg

gsnort and 'Mo like this.
  14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

On custom cars, it's all about "The Look". I pancaked the front of my 55 Olds, because it made the front end of the car look wider. Vertical lines of the hood opening eliminated. Image.jpg

stanlow69, VANDENPLAS, gsnort and 5 others like this.
  15. I first noticed the term change in the 90s. You pancaked the hood to take the hump out of it.

But you are correct when I was coming up in the '60s it still meant changing the opening like the pic that @'Mo posted.

'Mo likes this.
  16. 'Mo

'Mo

It may be hard to swallow, but the sectioned hood pictured is actually from an R&C article entitled "The Art of Pancaking a Hood".
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1302rc-art-of-pancaking-a-hood/
    And the Beat goes on...

49ratfink likes this.
  17. alchemy

alchemy

Who wrote the article? Must not have been a customizer. Probably a recent transfer from Minitruckin' Magazine.

stanlow69 and williebill like this.
  18. Language is a living entity. It is constantly changing by mere usage. I like to think of it this way, in my Dad's life a fag was originally a person who had trouble breathing. Then it became a word used for a cigarette in theory because they made you have trouble breathing or becoming all fagged out. Now we are not allowed to use the term at all.

Language is also regional. Just like our hot rods and customs are. I sure wish is was not that way but we have to live life and communicate, right?

Jim Bouchard, 'Mo and 49ratfink like this.
  19. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that the first thing I would do would be to tack the hood to the fenders in 4 to 6 spots just to maintain some stability.

20. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

We did the hood on a HAMB unfriendly 1970 Jimmy (Blazer) and it is a huge amount of work. Probably not one in ten that walks by it will even notice and it probably set the customer back 2k or so.

belair likes this.
  21. Gman0046

Gman0046

Never cared for the pancake look and not worth effort. Whats the point of making your hood smaller? Looks dorky to me.

22. williebill

williebill

I like pancaked hoods, and appreciate the work that goes into making them work. I know some of them can make access to under hood stuff a little tougher, but that's just another price we pay for being the coolest guy on the block.
    Whenever I see one, my respect for the builder goes way up.
    I'm not doing it to my Merc, though for two reasons...… it's too much work, and it'd take a helluva more than a pancaked hood to make me cool.
    No, they don't look "dorky"
    Geez, it's a custom..

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

they should have carved all the proper Hot Rod terms in stone in 1948 when Hot Rods were invented. then we would not be having these issues and Mini Truckers would not call channeling a body drop.

24. I know this is not what you asked, but if you're looking to add a custom touch to the hood, how about rounding off the corners. A lot less work, those that know will recognize the touch, likely will not trigger the love it or hate it reaction.

Just thinking out loud...on your thread.

Hombre likes this.
  25. BJR

BJR

I always thought pancake meant to flatten the hood like a pancake. Take the hump out of the hood. Never thought it referred to making the opening smaller.

26. 'Mo

'Mo

This one works for me.

[​IMG]

Hombre, RICH B, williebill and 2 others like this.
  27. atomickustom

atomickustom

I agree!
    Rounded hood corners makes a BIG difference and requires just basic sheetmetal welding skills.

28. Torchie

Torchie

My 2 cents....
    I would not pancake the hood. I would round the corners like Mo and others have showed.
    Pancaked hoods was something done on some of the more "Radical" customs of the times and are indeed a lot of work to do it correctly as not only do you modify the opening but in many cases the hinge system as well.
    Plus. There are many variations on pancaking. The hood on my old Clarkaiser custom was considered Pancaked, but that mostly meant redoing the leading edge as the hinge system was stock as I recall.
    As far a the nomenclature goes... I love it when people use the term "Frenched" when talking about tail lights that have been Recessed. ( Tunneled).JMHO
    Torchie

Attached Files:

williebill likes this.
  29. Noah*

Noah*

Had to pancake the hood on my sectioned truck. A lot of work. 20171126_155119.jpg 20191103_152320.jpg

stanlow69 and williebill like this.
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Noah you did not pancake your hood. Sheesh! You only sectioned it.

Torchie likes this.