Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pamona or Long Beach???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinCityRatFink, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Hey guys I'm lookin for some input.. I live in vegas and there are no good swap meets here.. ever. I'm thinkin about driving out to long beach on the 1st of december or pamona on december 8th.. which one do you guys recommend?? Are either worth the drive of 250 miles or so? I'll be looking mainly for 57-60 f100 (fridge) parts.
    Thanks in advance. :)

2. I always liked Long Beach better. Pomona seems to have rows of Sham-Wow's, 64 Imapla re-pop parts and tons of cheap ass Chinese tools. Long Beach always seemed to have a better selection of used parts and more of them..... JMO

3. steffen

steffen

I go to both and Pomona you have a bigger selection.

4. toml24

toml24

Pomona is bigger than life. At one point they had 17 miles of venders. For me I can no longer do the venders and the display cars on the same day. I have to pick one and stick with it all day.

Long beach is manageable. You can see all the vendors and enjoy the display cars in the same day.

5. Pomona is great if you get there early. But that's my opinion and experience.

6. Vegas_Cleaver

Vegas_Cleaver

I live in vegas as well and go to both long beach and pomona. I would say it depends on what your looking for. Long beach is more people cleaning out garages with some vendors. As pomona is alot of venders with random parts mixed in. Both a good. If you go to pomona in dec get there early and take a flashlight. Start in the very back and qprk forward. As the vendors aew mostly in the front.
    Also pomona has always been really chevy parts heavy. But sometimes you get lucky
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. For cars for sale...Pomona. Long Beach is better for walkin the isles.....

8. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Theyre both great...I have found alot of neat shit at both...but if you want to make just one trip...go to Pomona...mass quantity of stuff and loads of cool cars for sale..

9. ssaza25

ssaza25
    from arizona

I have been to both. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive while Long beach is closer to 5 1/2-6 hour drive for me.To me Pomona is better. You need to go sat. morning. Gates open at 9:00 am for vendors. Buy a space [There is long lines to get a space early] and you can drive thru it all day sat. and night as people set up.You can come and go as you need to on sat. Sunday you will have to park your truck in your space by 5:00 am but you can get in any time you want.Public is not allowed on sat. 5:00 on sunday,plus when you do purchase any thing you will not have to drag it for a mile or 2 to your truck on Sunday.I do most of my buying on sat.,not sunday. Long Beach is good, more garage clean outs verses the some of the same old vendors at Pomona, but Pomona is a lot bigger. Long beach as I remender is that the public is not allowed in until 6:00 [not sure that this is the correct time],I purchase a swap space to get in earlier.To me it is not worth the extra travel time as most parts are picked over quickly by 9:00- 10:00.It is a quick swap meet for me and then a longer drive back home. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

10. Tio Geo

Tio Geo

both are great…..i lean toward long beach because you have a chance to score some things that have been hidden away in someones shop or garage for years. more of the i want/need to get rid of this stuff, so lets make a deal kinda sellers, and not a bunch of vendors..pomona is a volume type of swap meet, you can find everything and anything if you can see it thru all the other buyers crowded in each row. get there early. and yes long beach opens at 6 am

11. Thanks for the input guys. I might try to swing both.. If not I'm going to pomona in dec. And will try and make long beach in January or February. I can't wait.

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If your in a pre what ever is required year at Pomona go Saturday after noon. Ask to park as just for just ($25) flat cost even if you have a second person. You can veiw whats rolling in (parts and cars) and buy on Saturday as well. Can't do that @ Long Beach.

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Its pre 1975..I used to have an old Chevy van just to get inside Pomona and pay $25 I think.....think about that....normal parking outside is $8 I think plus admission....for $10 more or so you can be inside...come and go as you please on Saturday and have a convenient ..nearby place to park on Sunday. If you park outside...it feels like its a mile away when you have stuff you scored...and you want to load up. But the catch is..whatever the car or truck is...it has to be older than 1975...

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Doesn't this board have a catch also ;)

15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

At Pomona its a really big catch...if your rig is newer than 1975 its $100 to get in.....

16. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

if you do Pomona, and drive home the same day, you're gonna be dead on the drive home. I live just 35 mins away and sometimes I feel like i'm going to fall asleep after all that walking!

17. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I thought the Pomona Father's Day swap was the only one that was really big. Are ALL the Pomona swaps as big as the Father's Day picnic? I may have to get out there in December. I have a trailer full of vintage corvette parts I need to get rid of....

18. That has been my trick for years, and it works well. You have to remember that the "regular" guys in the back don't want to take their stuff back home. They are much more willing to deal than the professional vendors in the front.

Excellent advise, and if I might add, having a car inside also gives you a place to go take a break from walking. If you bring a cooler with some beverages and some food, you'll save a bunch of money by not eating at the absurdly expensive food stands.

The Pomona Swap Meet is even bigger than the Father's Day Swap. I think you'll have good luck selling your vintage Vette parts, as there are a few rows dedicated to just 'Vette stuff, and there are a lot of collectors that go to Pomona to buy parts.

19. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Yes, the regular Pomona swaps put on by George Cross are bigger than the LARS swap...but the QUALITY and Quantity of old parts is much better that the father's day LARS swap.

I'm 2 blocks from Pomona Swap and I get in for Free on Saturday set up and I don't even go anymore!!! After 3 years of coming home empty handed (looking for pre '48 Ford parts) I gave up.
    Long Beach is still good once in a while.

20. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

What stuff sells easy ? I need some space in my garage and we are thinking about driving down....Early ford suspension ? Model a cowls? 409 cheavy heads??? 5 slot mag wheels..??????? just dont want to haul a bunch of stuff there and back...

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Leave the big stuff at home milkweed. Take a bunch of pictures of the bigger stuff and post them at your spot. You can sell and ship to them. I got so many good deals from guys that were pissed they had brought the big stuff and it didn't sell.

22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

All that stuff sells and sounds like the kind of stuff that most everyone on here would buy if they stumbled onto it at a swap...

23. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Whatever you're bringing, the phrase that pays is: "Priced to sell...."

24. mopacltd

mopacltd

My brother sold at Pomona for 22 years(under the only tree at the meet) but know does pretty much Long Beach