Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Painting your rod or custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Painting a car or truck can be a real PITA and it's not just the body work,the prep,the sanding,the buffing and waxing but making up your mind about a color and having to live with it.

I know I'm not the only guy that has been through the expense & the hours of labor intensive work to get the project ready for that fresh coat of paint and once you live with it a while you wish you had gone with the other color you were thing about.

I thought hugger orange would look great on my Deuce roadster and to be honest it did,but what I failed to think about is every Tom,Dick & Harry that didn't know a hot rod from a hole in the ground was constantly making the remark,"I see you are a Clemson Tiger fan"..I live about 15 Miles from Clemson University or when we traveled to Pigeon Forge and Knoxville,Tenn. "I see your a Tennessee Football fan"

I should have painted the car BLACK.:rolleyes: HRP

112-vi.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  2. Black's a pain in the arse.

ladyhrp, Doctorterry and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I've owned several black cars,no more problem than any other color.

BTW,Yellow & Orange draw bugs when sitting still ,and especially show up well after playing kamikaze. HRP

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mines black....well 1/6th of it is.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

PITA, that's why I don't paint mine! :)
    I try to buy them with enough paint on them to get by!

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Come now Danny surely you have heard the song that proclaims Black cars look better in the shade :D

I'm with the black cars suck group as I once had a 55 Chev 210 2 door that had a mirror like black laquer paint job.

I spent way too much time polishing the thing :D

Never again :D

ladyhrp, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Every car looks better in black.

8. There is nothing that looks better than a nice clean black paint job, problem is yo can't keep it clean for more than 5 mins.

Power colors, grabber colors, stand out colors are cool, but tend to "wear you out" on your own car.

Throw a dart
    image.jpeg

9. I was going to paint mine YELLOW. I even had the paint.

Then I decided to paint it black and yellow, but had a hard time trying to divide it up properly. So, I started to paint the black when I realized I had to leave for a few months.

When I got back everyone thought it looked good in black basecoat, so I left it. No hardener or clear. I saw some places that needed to be fixed and thought I'd fix them when I get 100,000 miles on her. :rolleyes: Now it has over 75,000 miles and I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon! :eek:

The paint is a little touchy and fragile, but I'm so glad I didn't paint it YELLOW! ;)

Ron Brown, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've always done the bodywork on my cars and all the preparation, rubbing etc up until final colour coat but left that to someone else. When done I'll colour sand and then have it cleared again. Works for me.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

12. You know Fred,that makes me wonder what happened to the member Purple. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Eh.... that's just my response to people who can't choose a paint color. ;) I actually like it and think about this..... how many purple cars have you actually seen? Not the off hues or pleasant shades. Just plain PURPLE!

14. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

PURPLE
    Isn't that Carl Stones color . 32 Roadster , B Hot Roadster, 55 f100 all purple as well as his jail cell.

loudbang, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. TexasRay

TexasRay

I'm a long way from painting my shoebox but what color to paint it has been on my mind since the day I bought it. Probably the most difficult choice to make!

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sporty45, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Some colors and combinations look great in the minds eye but then Ahh Crap..That's where Photoshop comes in handy.......

17. That's for sure !

Then some shapes look better in other colors than the same color would on anther shape.

Here's another thing, women see reds differently than men. it has to do with them needing to be able to differentiate edible berries from poisonous ones. Something with rods and cones in the female eye.

Now speaking of rods and cones and color perception/ remember that dress? Was it white and gold or blue and black?

image.jpeg

Baron, ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. This is a neat color !
    Black and purple both
    image.jpeg

19. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

picnicpark.jpg Seems I always got around the big pick the color thing mostly. My first hotrod in the late 50s,got what ever leftover color I got for free,from my Dads buddy who had a body shop. He also showed me how. To be honist it was mixed from 2 part Qt cans an came out kind of dark purple{ not too bad,but didn't last in the sun. Next was just gloss black that covered it good=been doing it that way tell now. That dosen't work with wifes car though,she has very hard idea of the color she wants on her car. LOL
    My cheepy gloss black I love,yes its just good prep work an buffing,but it only takes a Qt of Rustolem high gloss black a some enamel hardner each time I do it again. There are some wackOs paying way bigger $ just for flat nothing paint.

120mm, loudbang, ladyhrp and 3 others like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Black isn't even a color.

D-Russ, ladyhrp, da34guy and 8 others like this.
  21. And your great at that,but I can't do photoshop. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  22. The absence of color,but I still like that non-color,my old sedan is sporting it's 55 year old second paint job. HRP

ladyhrp, wicarnut and Montana1 like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I always tell people that can't figure out what color to paint their car to build a model kit of it to see what it will look like. you can try different wheels and suspension heights too if you like. there are at least 2 advantages to this. one is building models is fun and makes you feel like a kid again and two , when it is all said and done you have a model of "your" car... how cool is that??

24. That's why it's sooooo cool, for those who can't choose.
    A really great black paint job is very close to invisible. It has little to nothing of its own to show and reflects everything. Anything that bothers the refectory aspect spoils the invisible aspect.

My old Goat was black and judged countless times (over 100) to have perfect paint. Owning it was a nerve wracking experience that gave me ulcers. Looks flat out awesome though.

loudbang, ladyhrp, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  25. I've thought about which color I should paint the 29 AA, considering canary yellow, an oriole orange with black fenders, etc. or just plain rock moss green. I think Ford got it right in the first place with RMG, so that's probably how we'll end up. Someday. I hope. If I live long enough.

ladyhrp, Doctorterry and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. Painted my roadster Omaha orange, when people ask me why I tell them "Because it's the same color as a county dump truck." Get some pretty funny looks back for that one.

ladyhrp and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. hotrod harry

hotrod harry
    from wisconsin

No all colors make black , white is no color

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Since the 40 Ford has a bolt in dash, I painted the dash first to get a real feel for the color. Which I liked.

It has up's and downs with curves to set off the color and is a real good judge of how it will look on the car if you take it out in the sun.

The only unknown is the dash is a small piece compared to the whole car throwing it's color at you.
    Just my 2 cent's worth

29. A truly black object absorbs all the colors of the visible spectrum and reflects none of them to the eyes. Does that mean that your black car is really doesn't exist and is just a figment of your imagination. One thing I have learned is that the cops can still it.:D

loudbang, ladyhrp, clem and 5 others like this.