Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by georgedombeck, Aug 20, 2009.

1. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

So I painted my Blazer panel truck the other night. Got the second coat on just befor dark. I paint out side in the driveway. Little did I know it would rain the next day, ALL DAY. I came home from work to find the whole truck had raised raindrop pattern in the paint. Kinda cool , but not the look I was going for. I just wet sanded the truck and will try again tomorrow.

Attached Files:

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Been there. Sand out and repaint.

3. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Wet sanded.

Attached Files:

4. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

I know it would dry quicker with hardner in the paint , but I want it to be dull/flat. I am using Valspar tractor and impliment paint. Ford grey.

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

This thread is wrong in so many ways...

6. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Why dont you explain one ?

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Not a mini truck site...

8. The only reason that matters!!

9. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

aw hell he's just practicing on that till he gets something nice. like a rockstar or model A

10. How about this is a "Traditional Rod & Custom" site ! :eek:

11. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

Whats more traditional then building your own panel truck and painting it in the driveway?

12. DCLXVI

DCLXVI

This is the second time I've looked at this god awful thread.
    Can't this thing be locked or removed or something?
    If I wanted to look at this kind of shit, I would go to a mini-truck site.

Make it stop. Make it stop.

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Yup, everybody who has ever picked up a spray gun has screwed up a paint job or a few, don't feel like Neil Armstrong!

These guys are pretty hard on the subject matter posted to this site cuz someone is pickin up the tab for this bandwich, you're jus' lucky it ain't me!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of compassion!"

14. GTSDave

GTSDave

Been there done that. Painted my 69 GTS 3 times. First, the paint was fantastic. Too bad I ran out before I was done, and they didn't make Uraglow anymore when I went to have more mixed.

Second time the paint was mixed with the wrong metal flake and was the wrong color because of it. Could'nt tell till the clear coat was on.

Third time I had an old friend of mine mix the base coat with some original toners from the old stuff they were getting ready to throw out. Who would have thought it would be so hard to match Dodge's F8 Green! I found out later that there were at least 3 different versions over the years!

For my coupe I plan on going Black. It is my absolute favorite color to paint. Second is red.

Always check the weather. The humidity can cause issues as well. Drastic temp changes have screwed me a few times too.

Down here in Houston, the summers are hot, and great for curing paint, but with the heat we get bugs, and dust. Lots of dust. Did I mention bugs! There always seem to be able to hide then jump onto the paint. IF they would just stick it would be fine. Easy to buff out. I always seem to find the one bug that hits then walks around for a while before it dies. It is always after the last coat!

Hope you have better luck next time.

-Dave

15. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

For fuck's sake man. :rolleyes:

Can you not just answer the man's question and be done with it?

This board moves so fast, a post like this would be gone in 20 mins if you guys didn't all pile on to bitch about the content.

Let it go, and it will die on its own.

I thought this only happened to me and my friends. ;) Had a buddy that painted a replacement bed for his Dodge daily driver (pickup, dually), and the moment he got done laying down the clear on it, a million tiny red beetles appeared in a cloud, and landed right on his freshly cleared bed. They then proceeded to march around in tiny figure eights until they all died of whatever (apparently paint solvents are just as bad for bugs and people).

That left the bed with thousands of these little figure eight looking tracks, over every single surface.

He was sanding on that thing for a week to get down through that crap. He thought about spraying another coat of clear on it, but didn't dare for fear that doing so would prompt the appearance of another beetle cloud.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  16. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

I have learned to have a tweezers in my pocket when spraying, for picking up bugs. Wet sanded the mess, shot the truck the next day, looks great. Thanks, and by the way, just because I have an s10 doesnt mean I am a "minitrucker" I dont hang out with other mini trucks, I have 14" wheels , My stereo only has 4 speakers and no amp.

17. atleast its usefull for hualing parts, i have to borrow trucks/vans to pick up big parts..

18. dawg

dawg

better to fuck up on something like this than to learn on a "real" car?...

19. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

this isnt a pre 64 car... why is it even posted here..? this site is for pre 64 hot rod and custom cars!

20. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

This site is also one of the most generally knowledgeable automotive boards there is.

People come here to get their questions answered, because they know that this is where the people with the knowledge are.

The OT posts go away faster if you just answer the question and go on.

Hell, it's even faster to answer them than report it to a mod.

However, the constant bitching keeps these posts at the top, which generates more bitching.

The guy got his question answered, let it go and the thread will die.

Look at it this way, I'm sure he'll use his newfound knowledge to eventually complete an ON Topic car, so he can return and beg for you forgiveness. :rolleyes:

21. thesupersized

thesupersized

isn't that the front clip you're using on your shoebox though?!?! hahaha im just pokin fun