Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Apr 21, 2016.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

Does anyone know of a good way to hold and paint some bare steel wheels. I have 4 new bare steel wheels to prime and paint. I need to a good way to hold them and maybe have to ability to rotate them for good coverage. I thought of using my engine stand but that would be one at a time and would have to let each one dry before mounting the other ones.

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

if you have them cleaned and sanded,no tire on them,mount on a old hub or even a bubble balancer with plastic bag over hub first,then paint. I've herd of someone using a old lazysusin too

3. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Powder coating...check the cost, might be about the same.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I used to hang them from the rafters with a coat hanger wire thru the valve hole. If you do this be sure and clean the dust off the rafter first or when you turn the wheel around a gob of dirt may fall in your fresh paint. Or else drive some nails into the rafter and hang them from the nails.

jeffd1988 likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lay all rims face down on large piece of cardboard, or tarp, spray/let dry - flip over and do opposite side.
    if you have a round wooden pole in clothes closet, hang that (outside) using ladders, or?, slide wheel on and spray away.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  6. I have those huge garbage cans they pick up with a truck, makes great easels for painting. Plop a piece of cardboard on top (most of the time..) and paint away. I use anything in a rattle can, Duplicolor, VHT, Ace hardware, etc.

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Lay some cardboard on the floor. Place the wheel on and spray. Flip over and repeat. While the paint dries, I'll build a rocket ship.:rolleyes:

bobss396 likes this.
  8. I made a hub that I can mount on my engine stand that I bolt them to and spin and paint away.

dana barlow likes this.