Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting the frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HH Derrick, Oct 16, 2008.

1. HH Derrick

HH Derrick

Anyone got any good pointer for what to use to paint my frame with. Im looking for something affordable and tuff. I like Por15 but damn its expensive. Just seeing if anyone out there has anything else they would recommend.

2. v8 Bake

v8 Bake

Some one will throw rocks at me but I used tractor paint on mine.Bought 1 gal primer 1 gal paint 1 gal thinner for $70.

3. What kind of car is the frame on? Can you see it when the car is done?

4. Good question, I've wondered the same thing. I want to do my frame (51 merc pickup) and am thinking about powdercoating. I will drive it as a daily, is powder coating a bad idea?

5. Tin Can

Tin Can

I used tractor paint on mine too. Good tough stuff. And cheap too

6. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

the first time I painted my frame was with rustoleum. It looked pretty good but reacted with brake fluid. I should've done it right the first time. After stripping the paint off, I ponied up, bought some POR15 (as well as their prep products), and brushed a couple coats on. It worked very well and definitely would outlast the rustoleum. You need to apply their chassis coat anywhere the frame will be exposed to sunlight or the paint's appearance will be affected. A little bit goes a long way and in the long run, spending a little extra would be well worth it IMHO.
    good luck

7. Splinter

Splinter

Does POR15 come in any colors? I'm planning on painting my frame an aluminum/silver color, and the brake fluid thaing now has me worried. DRuss, is that DuPont resistant to brake fluid?

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I have used tractor paint and the primer for it. Good and affordable.

9. Brake fluid will get at any paint
    Powdercoat it
    Hundreds of colors available

10. Willy301

Willy301

I have come to the conclusion that there is no good, cheap way to coat a frame, it is either good or cheap. Powdercoating is a very doable thing, but not cheap. I used some stuff called chassis saver, similar to por15 but if it is exposed to sunlight, it goes to a very flat black appearance, so a color top coat would be required if you wanted to retain gloss, adding to the cost. Some of you guys have seen my fire truck project, I sprayed that frame with Dupont Imron....very durable, chemical resistant, very expensive, and also very toxic if not handled well. I recently saw some stuff that I thought about trying, it would not leave a smooth finish, but is Herculiner. Basically a roll in bed liner product, might give a frame a neat effect.

11. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

i used chassie black its in a gallon with a semi on it it cost likes 80 bucks and no reducer needed can if you like though

Attached Files:

12. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I ponied up the money for powder coating. The car was a highboy so the frame showed. Shined up real good and was impervious to everything.

13. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

I have posted something on other post with similar questions and it seems alot of people use "tractor" paint. Its good but not the best. Tractor paint is a industrial enamel. Dont get me wrong its a great system to buy the primer and then paint but there is better.

What you want is an epoxy then urethane topcoat. its they type of system they use on heavy duty steel projects i.e. bridges, truck frames, water plants etc.

The reason is because its holds up for 50+ years with no problems in pretty harsh conditions and is strong does not chip and resists chemicals and anything else you can throw at it.

What you want to do is go to an ICI Paints Store or a Sherwin Williams and ask for a 2 part epoxy that has rust protection and a topcoat that is a 2 part ureathane. The kits run about 40 dollars +/- each and with the 8 dollars you spend it will be bulletproof and you can get ANY color you want to match your car or anything. Just no metal flake colors.

14. Just had the chassis,core support, inner fender panels,4 control arms 2 spindles backing plates , gas tank, and rear end housing all powdered coated black on a 1961 Pontiac done for less than $800, that included the sandblasting.
    Hell the paintand prep materials would have cost that much.
    Powdercoat it.
    :cool: :cool: :cool: