Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting the engine bay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 20, 2019.

1. This is probably more applicable to the guys that are working on cars with inner fender panels but could also relate to the earlier car firewalls.

My question is do you normally paint the inner fenders and firewall the body color or do you go with something different?

I left the firewall body color on the Ranch Wagon although my originally intent was to do all the inner fenders the same green color, when it came time to start putting everything back together the green inner fenders looked like crap, I sand blasted all my the paint of them and started over.

A nice semi-gloss black really looked correct. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I have always used Krylon Semi Flat Black, low sheen very close to factory finish.
    KK

3. I used duplicolor high temp ceramic semi gloss black on my 46 coupe underhood and it turned out great.

HOTRODPRIMER and Deuces like this.
  4. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything body color looks to street rodderish to me. You need a little contrast.

HOTRODPRIMER, Deuces, Petejoe and 4 others like this.

5. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

It depends on the car, modifications, and naturally the color. My '54 F-100 had the inner fenders painted the same color as the body, It was silver metallic mist and was a mild custom. The '57 has gloss black inner fenders as is basically a stock car.
    Not sure if there is a rule.

6. I really like the look of a painted fire wall
    And semi flat black everything else.
    Draws the eye to the engine

That engine bay is the cats pyjamas @HRP

7. On a 50s style car, I like the firewall painted the body color since its a part of the body. And I like to see the inner fenders and radiator surround either a contrasting color or semigloss black. I don't have a good photo of it now but I painted my yellow Chevy's firewall yellow with the car and the inner fenders the same charcoal gray that I painted the frame with.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I got accustomed to looking under hoods where everything is the color the factory painted it, and I kind of like that look. Body color firewall, and almost glossy black inner fenders (unless the car has some type of unit construction, and the inner fenders are not removable, then they're painted body color also).

But the most important thing is to paint the area behind the grille (and the radiator/AC condenser) black, or it looks like poo poo

9. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ this and what HRP said. Do mine this way as well.
    SEM 39143-144 very closet to orig gm semi flat and lasts well.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I did too, I bought that stuff by the box for years but they changed the formula and it just doesn't seem the same.

11. If you build a low rider then you have to have it all chrome and gold plated..:eek:

12. My 56 Chevy is as the general intended, body color fire wall semi gloss black everything else. The 57 vette is a 90’s hold out, gloss black everything. If I ever finish my 48 HEMI plym it will have upper firewall body color and everything else off white/ivory

20EE0211-4331-4C9F-8EB8-3560765F0422.jpeg

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

white upper firewall w/pinstripes & wht inner fender panels on my black 40 Ford goodguys 6-29.jpg

14. Right now the engine compartment on my 55 Chevy is the same as the outside of the car, a custom mix black cherry. I am thinking of pulling the engine and doing some gasket changing and cleaning. While its a blank canvas I am thinking about painting the inner fender aprons and firewall a creamy off white. Maybe a little pin striping etc. Not too much though. I like that early 60's look and think it will be a refreshing change.

15. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

white firewall white inner fenders
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Black_Sheep, scotty t, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Depends on the car. Mopar guys like to drop the k member and paint everything body color.
    I paint all my race cars a light gray so you can see at night in the pits and if you get a leak it shows up.
    My customers tell what they want and that's what they get.

17. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Unless it's a black car, painting a muscle car era Mopar engine bay black is a cardinal sin.

I always liked traditional cars with a white engine compartment so the '58 got the same treatment. Ford HP White with satin clear...

IMG_3079.JPG

olscrounger, CGkidd, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  18. primed34

primed34

Gloss black firewall and inner fenders on my '55. Stainless cover on the firewall of my '34.

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Gloss black on the firewall, satin black on the inner fenders and core support.

20. rosstom

rosstom

I used Krylon #1613 Semi Flat Black.

Deuces, HOTRODPRIMER and barryvanhook like this.
  21. Mirror muffs?
    Should they match the headliner or carpet ?
    Does the carpet have to match the drapes?

22. squirrel

squirrel

as long as her purse matches her shoes, it's all good

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

And if she's barefoot?

24. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Black firewall on a non black car depends on the build and if a parting line that looks good is do able.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  25. What the heck are you talking about? HRP

26. Then in that case, she is from Alabama...:eek:

27. Latigo

Latigo

I like the natural oil, grease and road grime look. Think it's called patina.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Or lack of maintenance, which I my case I am guilty with my old beater. :D HRP

47ragtop likes this.