Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Painting radiator without hurting cooling???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jamcoupe, May 24, 2010.

1. jamcoupe

jamcoupe

I have an aluminum radiator in my 51 chevy that I really want to paint the front black but Im worried that it will hurt the cooling though. Has anyone done this and want did you use?

[​IMG]

Thanks Jeff

2. slammed

slammed

Lightly fog some blk paint and you be fine.

3. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I believe there is a radiator type paint that is very thin. It literally just stains it black and there is no issue with thick insulating blobs of paint. No idea where I saw that,sorry.

4. Muttley

Muttley

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I painted my radiator with regular black just dusting on until completely covered. Still keeps the flathead at between 180º and 200º.

6. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

I painted my last aluminum radiator with dupli-color satin black engine paint. I have no problem's with it over heating.

7. We have not had any issues painting ours either. Just use common sense and not lay it in there so thick it would block air flow.

8. The ol radiator guy I use mixes kerosene and enamel paint 50/50 and it workd great and doesn't effect the cooling.HRP

9. DavidL

DavidL

I had heard always use lacquer based paint on radiators, but it looks like the Eastwood radiator paint is enamel. Looks like I learned something new today.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Get radiator paint... it is "thin," and won't effect your cooling rate. Gary