Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cadillac daddyo, Nov 21, 2005.

1. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

this is for all you paint guys how big of compressor do you need to paint a car in something other than primer. I need a new compressor and my car needs a new paint job so what kind of constant gallon rating and min cfm do i need i been thinking about a 60 gallon 7hp compressor is this going to be to small:confused:

2. I recently had to do research on this myself. I wanted to run a hvlp gun without problems. There is a difference in air requirements for the hvlp guns on the market. The bottom line was that I needed a two stage compressor. I wanted an upright because of space. After pissing off so much time that it was amazing, I bought a Belaire 218v from ASEDEALS.com for around $950. Freight paid. I only wanted to buy this once. One of the retailers said I might get by with the Belaire 6061v. It's single stage. I run an impact wrench and an air operated spring compressor. I need at least 150 psi. That leaves out any single stage unit. There are lots of brands out there to look at. The Belaire was the highest rated with the best warranty. I've had mine for about 6 months. Very satisfied. Runs my thirsty hvlp with plenty of air to spare. The down side is that it costs more than I planned on and it's an 80 gallon tank. It takes up the same space as some 60 gallion units.

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

9cfm is plenty to paint a car but you want as much as you can get when it come to running da's grinders sand blaster's

4. JimSibley

JimSibley

A 7 hp, 60 gallon comp. is more than enough. I ran a one men shop off of that size for 4 years. painting, plasma, air tools, whatever. If you use an air D.A, or airfile, it tends to run low, but I did it just fine.
    Jim

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You need to know the cfm and not just the hp or size of the tank, a 60 gallon tank will run low real quick with a DA. IF you don't already have a HVLP gun take a look at a couple of the ones you like and see what the cfm requirements are. Then get a compressor based on that rating. Like was mentioned a DA will take a much as you can give it...

6. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

thanks for the info not to worried about running a d.a. on this project thinking of spending the extra cash on media blasting only cause its a 63 caddy moredoor hardtop i really dont want to sand that big ol boat but just got a welder so i going to give her a lite shave then a new paint job thinking of using a flat metealic red with some off white waston type scallops