Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting/Powdercoating Chrome Parts??!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davey_shumard, Apr 24, 2013.

1. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

I have a project that I want to re-use some parts on. Those particular parts are currently chrome. They are in like new shape, so I am not worried about flaking/chipping.

Has anyone ever painted/powdercoated over chrome, with any luck? Any advice on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks Guys,
    Davey

2. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

In the past, I've roughed up chrome with 80 grit, sprayed primer on it, and then painted it like a normal piece. The pieces were on the front of a truck, and held up fine. I'm not saying this is the correct way, but it's worked for me. The best way to do it would be to get the chrome chemically stripped.

3. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have sand blasted chrome parts and powdercoated them and they have held up for years.

4. davey_shumard

davey_shumard

What did you use for blasting media?

5. I have done painting and had powdercoating done many times on chrome parts. I blast them with a light blasting media (like Garnet, or glass bead) to give a little bit of bite. Makes for a very nice finish. I don't like to go more than that, just increases the likelihood of the chrome peeling underneath.

6. there is a long post on "painting" chrome on here already....

7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I usually go a little more agressive with sand or black magic.If the chrome is in good shape just a light blasting to give it some bite.Glass bead really doesnt rough it up enough imo.