Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods PAINTING OVER A REMBRANDT, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by els, Jun 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's a 1962 Vette and they don't have the stainless trim on the cove. 1961 was the last year for that.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, loudbang and bowie like this.
  2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ended up in restoration through my trade as a finisher. I already replied once how I feel about the car and it has little or nothing to do with it's current finish. I tend to be on the side of the fence that doesn't relate to it's history because it's so regional in scope. Me? If I didn't want a full zoot refinish I'd remove the lettering the best I could and touch it up, but I'm kinda lazy like that. I'm not seeing anything the likes of national champion racers that ran the whole circuit, maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I don't really like red for that matter, but if it was really something of historic significance it gets a pass. How many approach you with thier memories? 3? 30? 100? Just some perspective to help along. I know you need the wheels for more than looks but a 2nd set for shows would make an old rock star out of it. If I had an ex-Detroit Dragway bracket racer it'd be fun for a season but then it's mine.

I think the car screams for cobwebs, freak dots, multi-hued candy, or any fashion of 60s-70s wild race paint. Time to make your own history. Just sayin...

els, czuch, clunker and 4 others like this.
  3. You can always paint a car, you cant unpaint it. Keep the history

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

58 pro ford and els like this.
  4. 58 pro ford

58 pro ford

it'll only be the original once.id leave it myself but its your car.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

els likes this.
  5. Larry T

Larry T

It's not original now, at what point do you stop changing it? :D

6. hotrod54chevy

hotrod54chevy
    from Ohio

els and czuch like this.
  7. belair

belair

This situation is like some of the old customs that show up here every once in awhile. Yes, it was built in the old days, yes, it had a ton of work done to it, and yes, it is as ugly as a man's butt. And no, it was not built by Barris or Watson, or D'Agostino, et.al. And no, it never won a (bigtime) car show. It has no true historical significance, but people get all excited about "preserving it, being the "caretaker" for the next generation"", etc., when in reality the car quickly sank out sight after it was built. You have a neat car. You have a potentially valuable car. You have an old, anonymous survivor soldier from the drag race wars. Cool. What you don't have is a national record holder, or the ride of a famous shoe. It didn't come from the golden age of anything except parachute pants and gold chains. You said you "want to keep it the real deal." Whatever that is/was. Sounds like you like it as is, a no maintenance conversation piece. If that's what you like about it, and you want to be the "caretaker", the path is clear. Keep loading and unloading it on the the trailer at swap meets and car shows, and keep chewing the fat. If you want to race it, freshen it up. It certainly has the drag race vibe (but loose the wheels). As for my opinion, take lots of pics, then paint it BLACK BLACK BLACK, put a nasty 327 in it and make your own memories instead of trying to preserve someone else's

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    els, czuch, X38 and 4 others like this.
  8. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

No historical significance...paint it!

els, czuch, X38 and 2 others like this.
  9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Make your own history------Paint it.

els, czuch, bobss396 and 3 others like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

Nah, I wouldnt repaint it, maybe have a pro fix the blend around the wheelwells.

Different wheels would go with the old paint.

Old race cars are just cool, show the wear of all those passes, its earned every knick.

els likes this.
  11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It isn't a Rembrandt, maybe a local hero, but that's all. You aren't....
    Ecce-Homo.jpg
    ...turning this ^^^^^^^^^ ...into this ^^^^^^^^^

IMHO, make it your own, no guilt.

12. els

els

I have been watching this post. I think it is great. It seems I have a lot of great H.A.M.B. friends. There is some history to the car. It was raced from the early 80s to the 90s. I have been looking for this car for a long time. The paint is original, the graphics are not. The wheels are not. In Arizona the had a little bit of history. It is exciting to have the car out and old timers come up to me and ask me if that was BIILL KNOBLOCKS and JOE FALKNERS car, I am proud to say it was. You can still see a lot of the history in the car. But sometimes change is good. It might not be a MONA LISA or REBRANDT but I the look I get from old drag racers sure do like seeing the car out again. I know all the purist's out there say its has new stuff on the car. I found the car in an old work shop. It was sitting under water coolers and all the chrome was destroyed. the interior was shot. and the car was not safe to drive. updating the car for safety was paramount. I had the chrome all replaced. and added all new red factory interior. I KNOW, ITS NOT ALL THE WAY IT WAS. but drag racers still see the pedigree in the car. Please keep you comments coming. this is fun. And don't worry about hurting feelings in this post. If I had feelings I would care. Please be honest and forthcoming with your thoughts.

dan31, loudbang, czuch and 3 others like this.
  13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Further, make it bitchin' and make it your own legend; how about that?

els and czuch like this.
  14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

An old car put together to race in the 80's is not something I would consider to be special that needs to be retained.
    I'd paint that baby in a heartbeat.
    Cool car.

els, slowmotion and 49ratfink like this.
  15. There's your answer; they're recognizing the 'bones' of the car, not so much it's current look. If you want to keep the 'heritage', re-paint, re-letter it and install wheels as it appeared in it's local heyday.

els and slowmotion like this.
  16. WP38

WP38

Drive it like you stole it. I can't think of a better conversation piece. I have a 64 .

els likes this.
  17. Your car do what you like,the analogy of it being a Rembrandt is a little far fetched IMHO,30 year old paint job doesn't have the same historical significance as say a 1960's paint & lettering job. HRP

els likes this.
  18. Warning! Put on your Sense Of Humor Cap before reading further:

If you bought (or own) an old house and the paint was cracking and flaking, and the old roof shingles were continuously sloughing off half dollar size chunks, would you leave it just like it is or maybe clear coat it to preserve the patina? If you see yourself as the "caretaker" of the "history" of the structure, isn't it also honoring the house and its history by fixing any rot, going with a new roof and fresh paint?

All the years I've been going to car shows and trolled car forums I've heard the rationale, the arguments, the beliefs and reasons why preserving worn out paint is the preferred option. I've managed to accept it about skin deep but I never could understand it to the bone. One of my difficulties is nearly every "old Paint" rod has a completely new interior. I guess that means there's not much history on the insides.

I guess I relate more with the old time cowboys who thought they got a great deal when they sold their worn out jeans to a dude from Hollywood and had money to buy a new pair of Levis at the local Sears and Roebucks store.

els, belair and Crazy Steve like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Els, there is no one on the planet that appreciates 62 Vette drag cars than I. There are guys that like patina but I am not one of them. If a car has been saved and preserved then I really appreciate that true patina. I remember stopping by a Packard collector (John Wheatley-near Tulsa) in the 80s and seeing a beautifully preserved 1932 Packard. even though it was a terrible shade of brown it was nothing short of magnificent. There is preservation and neglect and they are not one and the same. It sounds by your own description that your car falls into the latter. Whereas I believe we can celebrate preservation we should not celebrate neglect. It does not help that I was trained as a painter starting at 13 in my grandfather's paint booth. I spent an inordinate amount of time at the local drag strips in the 60s (and a little in the 70s) and to a young painter I saw many great looking drag cars-not all but a good number. I do not remember many guys running patina-although there were a few I suppose. There was one crew that ran strong and their cars never would win best paint awards but they were the exception in my orbit.

I would hazard a guess that Bill and Joe were probably pretty proud of their car when they ran it and it probably looked pretty decent, as after all the years of neglect it still could be a twenty footer with a bit of touch up (and remove the changes you made visually). If you wanted to preserve history you could run it like Bill and Joe did (if you have a picture). You could also go with some trick paint as that was the era of trick paint for sure. I have tons of pictures of Vettes during the 60s and 70s and I remember vividly watching them run. If the graphics are not original then why save them? The wheels do not bother me as much as some of the other guys because they are not too far off from Super Tricks and many MP ran Super Tricks (in the 70s and 80s at least). I realize Super Tricks are off top here but reality is hard to argue with. I have a set of Super Tricks and they are so light I know why guys ran them. Five spoke SS Cragars would get you into more shows and keep you on track with the HAMB as well-but your call.

You have put your own personal stamp on what Bill and Joe built and ran. If you were thrilled with what you have done then why consider changing it? The car will always be an old 62 Vette drag strip warrior. A truly historical racecar is something to be preserved IMO opinion. Other than that they are an old Chevy that make us smile.

els and loudbang like this.
  20. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't know what gears are in it, I think I would leave it alone, drive it on the street so people could see it. I would of course have to drive it to the drags from time to time. Use it! That's what the previous owners built it for. JMO. Lippy

els likes this.
  21. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's see the engine bay.

els likes this.
  22. At first I thought leave it and preserve the history. But then there is nothing really spacial about the current paint.

Then it occurred to me, as I consider my 37 Ford Ute paint project going on 7 years now, that my real recommendation is get it out on the drag strip, and drive the shit out of it. Having fun and smiling every pass. Your car is complete, just have fun with it as-is and don't lose driving time in project hell.

I would say a wheel change would be a good idea. Some 5-spokes or similar 60's style wheels.

Or do as I did on my OT old 70 Camaro back-half drag car. Put just enough mufflers, brake lights, and a license plate on it and drive on the street. I had as much fun with that as making passes down the drag strip. Probably could have gotten about 15 fix-it tickets if ever pulled over (slicks, no turn signals, no headlights, not wipers, no horn, lexan windows, insufficient ground clearance, etc).

els likes this.
  23. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

If you want to paint it paint it.

If I had the budget I would. If I had a bigger budget I'd have Tuki paint it and it'd be so wild no would give two shits about the old red and graphics that used to be there

dan31, els and czuch like this.
  24. If you really want to piss off the m-asses, PRIMER is the way to go....

els, czuch and chevy57dude like this.
  25. 4oldfords

4oldfords
    from Texas

had to dust off the old psychology 101 text book for this one.

You said "I don't want to paint over a MONA LISA"....... then don't

els and clunker like this.
  26. Muttley

Muttley

Hopefully I'm dead before then.

els and loudbang like this.
  27. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mmm, pastels and splash graphics. Maybe instead of a Rembrandt it is a finger paining.

els likes this.

28. The original question was "what would you do?"

If I had "plenty of money", I would keep the Vette as is and BUY MORE CARS. I wouldn't stop till I rectified the problem (the problem of having plenty of money, that is...)

my neighbor keeps asking me why I have 4 cars and two motorcycles. I tell him it's because I'm just getting started.....

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, czuch and El Caballo like this.
  29. Ruben Duran

Ruben Duran

If that were mine, I'd paint it. It's a damn cool car, but it's not original any more. Plus, the graphics are boring and the paint looks tired. If you're hell-bent on the same "look", redo it in a heavy-flake red and a more stylized lettering in gold leaf and subtle pinstripes.

els and Crazy Steve like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.