Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting multiple colors...Taping etc.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very soon I'm going to be painting the body and assorted pieces of my 26 RPU project.

I'm going to be painting the firewall Wimbledon white and the rest of the body Washington blue.

In looking at the manufacturers info on the BASF RM Uno single stage acrylic urethane I can see where they say a minimum of 24 hours of drying time between coats.

What I'm also wondering is how long would I (or should I) wait before being able to safely and comfortably apply tape to a newly painted surface without causing problems.

For instance painting the firewall first with Wimbledon white, after which you have to mask it off and cover it up in order to spray the blue.

The next thing I'm wondering about is what to use for the cover up.
    I've seen paper or light poly used.
    Any tips or info based on experience doing what I'm looking to do?

Larry

hrm2k likes this.
  2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Thanks for the help :confused: :rolleyes: :p :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  4. Something is wrong with the 24 hrs between coats. They must mean if you miss the flash time you have to wait 24hrs to recoat. Should be something like 10-15 minutes flash time between coats.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Overnight is plenty for any paint with a hardener in it to sit before masking, as long as you can't leave a finger print in it you should be fine, I prefer masking paper for smaller areas and plastic for bigger areas, either way make sure it is for that purpose, dried paint will flake off regular poly and ruin your day. No matter which you use make sure it is sealed up!!! Overspray will find its way into any little hole

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

oldrelics likes this.
  6. Slopok

Slopok

:confused: 3 days for 3 coats??? Better check that again!

Blue One likes this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'll double check with Carlson too.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks I'm going to get whatever they sell for the purpose at the body shop supply.

I just want to be sure not to mess up what I have already done when I get to that stage. :D :cool:

9. I think this is your stuff -
    5 min flash time between coats
    20 min flash time for next step/product/clear
    24 before sanding or recoating over final coat
    image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Blue One likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And here I thought that I was good at understanding what I was reading :D

Took another look at it and the paint info paper says 24 hours drying time after the final coat.

The 24 hours applies to a recoat if you want to do so.

11. Don't use cheap tape, hardware store tape, or news paper.
    Newspaper especially if your doing white, the ink flies off and land in the paint

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Speaking of tape, what is best? I'm familiar with the blue painters tape that definitely isn't cheap.

Something better than that?
    Brand name?
    Also going to check on that at the body shop supply.

Blownfuel likes this.
  13. What ever Carlson's sells you for tape will be fine. It will probably be American Tape as they are a big supporter of that line. You should be able to buy a 18" roll of masking paper from them as well which will be plenty for what you are doing.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Blue One likes this.
  14. 3m yellow is the best i have used. be careful of plastic on fresh paint, it can hold the solvents that are coming out of the paint against the surface and "kill " it.
    proper auto body paper is dust free and won't let solvents through so they can't get to what is under them. i also use the plastic sheets made for painting. they have one side that can be painted and not let dried paint flake off.

Blue One likes this.
  15. The blue tape sold at every hardware store is "hardware store tape"
    The stuff that's kind of a light Manila tone paperish feel is the cheap tape.

3m yellow is what I use. I like it a lot. It's sticks good and releases even better.

Blue One likes this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Another question to sneak in here.
    I'm going to paint my transmission and it has a raw Aluminum bell housing (adapter) cast by Flat O as a Y Block to C4 adapter.

Will I need to do anything special before painting it along with the transmission?
    Larry

17. Yes, aluminum needs a cleaner, and primer suited for aluminum. Then it's business as usual.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What kind of cleaner and primer?
    Keep in mind that the cast aluminum is as cast with a rough surface as typical of cast aluminum.

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Needs to be thoroughly degreased and painted with an etching primer before color.

Blue One likes this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Thanks.
    Since I only have that small bell housing to paint maybe I'll pick up a spray can of 2K etching primer from the body shop supply.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Don't use that blue tape. I found out the hard way. I painted a truck tu-tone and when I removed the "blue tape" between the 2 colors, the tape peeled a little bit of paint off. Makes one wonder though about all those old painters who used that beige masking tape and newspaper. Anyways. don't forget to wait 24 hours between coats:p

22. Hey if you're looking for some tips painting etc....checkout The Gunman on YouTube, he's a fellow Aussie and has some great info for us home painters

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Blue One likes this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well, I ain't no Pro, but I've used the blue tape and the tan tape for years without any problems. I also use newspaper paper--before it's printed on. Wife goes by the paper office every once in a while and picks up a few roll ends, the end of the roll that they change out when they are printing and don't want to run out before they are through with the job. Have also used printed paper before, never seen any ink fly off of it, might have, don't know.

Not saying my way is any better or worse, just what has worked for me.

24. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I I don't know if this is still true but quite a few years ago I helped a pretty damn good painter do a two tone job and he used scotch tape for the break line, said it left a cleaner edge, less raged ( ragged?)

25. X2 -Well worth the time watching the gunman.

26. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Since my sister gave me a gift card for Canadian Tire I just went and got some 3M auto performance masking tape.
    Looks like good stuff :cool:

Dick Stevens likes this.