Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting finned /raised letter valve covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Dec 31, 2017.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

How is the best way to paint the center on Edelbrock valve covers. Between the fins and around the raised letters? Paint the center and used like 1000 grit on the flat to remove the excess paint?

2. c1067

c1067
    from ohio

What I’ve done is after painting, let it flash then take a rag with thinner and wipe the paint off the areas you don’t want it. It takes a few rags and some patience but to me is easier than trying to sand and polish the fins and letters

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang, '51 Norm and samurai mike like this.
  3. I polish the fins and clean the valve covers then I spray them the desired color,let them dry for a while and then wrap a cloth around my finger and dip in lacquer thinner and lightly rub until the paint is removed.

[​IMG]

The valve covers on the wagon were painted a solid color and all I did is remove the paint from the raised fins using the same process. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. southcross2631

southcross2631

That's the same process I use. 2015-04-21 15.31.28.jpg

5. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

Just curios could you put pin stripping over the ribs and then peel off?

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I would paint them just like I did my GM alternator's rear half. I had polished the case years ago and wanted to do something with the ribs on the rear half, so grabbed the can of Oldsmobile blue engine paint sprayed it put lacquer thinner on a rag and wiped the paint off the top of the ribs

7. I think it's possible but a heck of a lot more trouble and a whole lot more time consuming. HRP

8. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

HRP fixing to Paint my 64 F-100 this Spring Is that Green a Ford Code and what is it, and Thanks

9. No it's a custom mix and started out being # 683 on a Dupont chart but the boss lady didn't like it and we went back and forth with the paint store,it has had more red,yellow & blue added to it.

It looks very close to the 57 Ford Cumberland Green. HRP

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Same here IMG_7134.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Nice cover!!!!!:)

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I masked mine on the Futurian with 1/8” masking tape. With all the different coats, base , flake, candy and clear. Would have been tough to wipe clean with a rag. Worked great for me[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app