Register now to get rid of these ads!

painting/coating suspension components

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cool57, Nov 24, 2003.

1. I've read the discussions on Zero rust & Rust bullet & POR
    they all sound like they are good solution to rust, but which one will stand up best on suspension components with the abuse they get from gravel, rocks, sand, possums etc.?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Powder coat...
    Possums wipe right off if you get to 'em before they bake on from the header heat. [​IMG]

3. I agree on the powder coating. Only way to go.

4. make that three for powder coat

5. DrJ

DrJ

go around some garage sales where old buggers live and see if you can pick up a never opened can of real old high lead content black enamel and put that on it...It'll be on there when you die from old age.
    I hit a garage sale when a neighbor was moving and bought six quarts of Manowar spar varnish for 50¢ a can. the cans were rusty on the outside but never opened so I had my truck bed varnised for four years for 1/4 the price of one can of the stuff.

6. I used marine enamel,brushed it on good and smooth.haha.Its tough stuf and a fraction of the price of powdercoat.Plus I don't think powdercoat works on rusty steel?.......Shiny

7. Shiny, sand blasting is the standard prep for powder coating.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Grind, sand and powder coat,...your done, period.

9. Powder coat was/is my first choice, but I'm not sure about
    baking the tie rod ends, whether they could be damaged,(of course I know I have to remove the rubber boots...

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

A cheap alternative (powder coating can get expensive) is to clean/prime parts, spray on a coupla coats of 3M chip guard, then Zero-rust or other tough enamel. Almost bulletproof.

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

POR has no UV protection, so if the parts are in the sun don't use it. Don't know about the other two.