Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Painting body lines ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigheadbaxter, Jan 19, 2016.

1. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I've been looking for pictures of late 20's to early/mid 30's cars with painted body lines. I borrowed this pic from Shane's 28 thread. I really like it but it doesn't seem to be very popular from what I've been able to find. very classy. Pictures and opinions please ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453248983.543929.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

When done tastefully, they look good. If you like the look, go for it.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I like them, do what you want! Gary

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I help out at a classic car museum I will try to get some pictures for you.
    We have a number of cars with painted body lines!
    KK

bigheadbaxter likes this.

5. I always thought it was for a more elegant art-deco type car rather than a hot rod...

IMG_4375.JPG

falcongeorge and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. ......And FWIW, they are referred to as "belt lines" by the resto group.......

7. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453340121.133687.jpg

I like them painted. Here is a pic of my restored 30 chev. My thoughts on my coupe project are light grey body and a darker grey on the belt line and revels. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1453340495.115675.jpg

kidcampbell71 and bigheadbaxter like this.
  8. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

BHB, if that's your AD truck you have an opportunity on it's belt line, I've often thought of doing a contrasting yet subtle color on my '49.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my buddies from the local watering hole bought this car last year as it sits. It has painted body lines and look all the part of a hot rod. Maybe not my cup o'bourban but it looks cool.
    upload_2016-1-20_18-49-11.png

roundvalley likes this.
  10. I like them on some cars. If the colors are tasteful or subtle and there isn't too much of a bold contrast I think they look good. Complimentary colors, not contrasting.

crminal likes this.
  11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice mix on this one. Body color on the fender reveals, fender color on the body reveals.
    IMG_20150402_204944022_HDR.jpg
    This one has a different mix too, but 4 other colors were used to pull it off. White reveals on fenders and windows, black on the body. Very, uh, eclectic...?
    IMG_20150121_120117676_HDR.jpg

36 ROKIT and falcongeorge like this.
  12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I personally think any beltlines painted looks best on fendered cars. Color choice is critical much like any two toned painted car.

13. Good topic that doesn't get discussed much. On certain cars they are perfect. Taken in a historical context imagine how crazy that 6? color job looked in its day! The purple/pink one that was on Carinis show was even more nuts!

14. I believe that was standard operating procedure on the L29 Cords. Here is one that I did awhile back. Also a pic of a 1931 Studebaker President I did. Striper5.jpg Larry\'s 31StudebakerPresident 001.jpg Larry\'s 31StudebakerPresident 002.jpg Larry\'s 31StudebakerPresident 003.jpg

302GMC and bigheadbaxter like this.
  15. I prefer pin striping on the reveals. ...but it comes down to personal preference and whether you are trying to emulate a particular style. Regardless, the color choices are critical.

16. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Here are a few from the museum. 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG
    KK

bigheadbaxter likes this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Daaamn! Theres an L-29 roadster I have seen in Coquitlam that is silver and maroon with a maroon top, you should see that thing! The one safarinut posted looks DAMN good too! Beautiful cars...
    [​IMG]

18. The gentleman I painted the L-29 phaeton for was headed to the A-C-D Museum for a show that year(either 1999 or2000) and a friend of his was traveling with an unfinished L-29 roadster that was painted silver with a maroon accent and was unfinished. I wonder if it was the same car? I cannot recall his name but he was from Massachusetts and had just got married to this lovely Oriental girl and it was sort of their honeymoon.
    I found out later that on their way home he was cut off by someone on the Interstate and he flipped the trailer damaging the Cord quite extensively. As he had done virtually all the work on both cars I assume it has since been fixed. I'll have to get in touch with Paul(the owner of the phaeton) and find out.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Wow, I wonder. I started seeing it in the Coquitlam area about 8-9 years ago, so its possible. Man, lemme tell you, with a silver body, and the maroon fenders, wheels, beltline molding and top, and those Cord lines, it just takes your breath away. What a beautiful car. That pale green phaeton must be something to see in person as well. Man, beautiful cars. If guys haven't seen these cars in person, photos just DO NOT do them justice, not even close.

20. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have seen that Cord quite a few times as well. I think I know who owns it though I might be out of date. Some of those big old classics are just outright beautiful and truly rolling art. We sure are lucky living around here for the variety of cars we get to see. Now I'm thinking about my '32 5W which will be full fendered. Hmmmmm?

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A noted designer of the custom body era said that he liked to include a body reveal at the lower edge of the body and paint it fender color. This gave a low appearance and made the body look sleeker.

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. jazz1

jazz1

The painted belt lines all look great from here. I would like to add some to my '48 sedan delivery to add some flash to the miles of sheet metal when the time comes. Wife likes it ,,so be it.

23. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter