Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paintin' revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pitman, Jul 17, 2010.

1. pitman

pitman

If SlowandLow or Pimpin are in house... or HAMB painters have some tips to offer,
    I'm in the final stages of 220/320 grit sanding on my '31 roadster. Not a show car, just a driver as to finish quality. Can I apply my final primer coat, sand lightly w/400 grit and then apply Omni base-colorcoat followed by the clear top coat? Advise has been, 2 coats color then 3 coats clear. Would love avoid having to "seal" prior to BC/CC.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

So far it sounds like your doing it right ,I hope you are using a block and long strokes.When you 400 It has to be smooth ,Then you can paint ,Im sure the other guys will chime in .Im just a backyard painter.And familiar with Enamel....2 coats color doesnt sound like enough I usually put a FEW ,The first 2 are usually dustings of color Just let set up between coats to avoid runs .And also after wetsanding Wipe car down with wax and grease remover followed by a tack cloth

3. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

pitman, I see nothing wrong with your plan, done many the way your doing it! Many times I've got away with not using sealer, its only bit me a time or two,nothing major. Depends on what primer your using,Laq based or catalized? On the number of base coats 2 may or may not be enough, I shoot til the primer is covered and usually add 1 coat to make certain its covered! Depending on what color your using Omni may need additional coats for good coverage. Good luck!

4. Only thing i would do different is use 600 grit paper instead of 400 grit, but thats just me.

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Sounds like you have it right pitman. While I definitely recommend sealing, it isn't necessary if you don't want to.

6. henryj429

henryj429

I would recommend a sealer also.

Omni has very poor coverage. For sure 2 coats won't do it. 3 will just barely do it. Do a search - there has been other threads on here about the dos and don'ts of Omni.

7. pitman

pitman

Thanks Bill,
    And the other guides too! The X-treme primer is catalysed and can be blended as "thin" for sealer, "medium" as trad. primer or thick" as primer-filler.
    The two coats of color, assumes a matching primer "shade" and everything is urethane based or activated.
    I did have to rig-up a "Scot-ish" air supply. Taking a small fan, placing a funnel connected to 25' of Home Despot's finest 1" flex hose. Then using an old mask attached the hose to it, and instant fresh air.
    OK, maybe three color coats, the rep said two, but threads have spoken on this coverage issue.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. Ob1

Ob1

Dont forget to spray a guide coat over the primer! Sometimes there are amazing deficiencies hiding in there!

9. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

I use a white primer-sealer ,tint it out close to your base color ,a lot easier to cover . Just a hint

10. 48cad

48cad

I think the others have covered your paint issues sufficiently.

Glad to see your attempting to get some fresh air into your lungs. DO NOT Forget todays paints are not like the paints of yesteryear. It's just not your lungs that you have to protect. All of your skin must be covered! The bad shit is absorbed thru your skin, eyes etc. The days of coughing and hacking up a few good phlem balls and being good are done. Once the iso's are in you, they're there forever. Cover up.

The amount of my paint and body buddies who are having health problems later in life is troubling. I've been painting for ~30 years and consider myself lucky so far, as I do not always follow my own advice. I know better, I guess, I just get lazy sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  11. Get a sprayout card ( looks like a little checkered flag )from your supplier. Do a test panel and see how many coats it takes to cover.

" I've been painting for ~30 years and consider myself lucky so far, as I do not always follow my own advice. I know better, I guess, I just get lazy sometimes."

Me also 32 years.

12. marcosbodyshop

marcosbodyshop
    from West Texas

I am with MILWSCRUFFY on 600 sand papper, it takes a little longer to sand but it will look a whole lot smoother, good luck.

13. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Havn't worked in a body shop for a long time but I always sanded for enamel with
    400 grit dry and bccc with 600 wet and never had any problems

14. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I've had coverage problems with Omni single stage, and base coat. I was trying to paint yellow over the gray omni sealer that my supplier recommended, and couldn't get it to cover. Sanded it off and shot white sealer, and it covered OK, but not 2 coats. I'll still use Omni primers and such, but the color coats will probably be PPG if it's a hard to cover color.