Register now to get rid of these ads!

painters - how do paint codes work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63ChevyII, Feb 16, 2008.

1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

how do paint codes work - if different car manufacturers use the same code, is the color the same, even if they call it by a different name?

for example, type 'PRJ' into the search box on this page:
    http://www.paintscratch.com/search.html

on the page that shows up, you get paint colors for chrysler and for mitusbishi. are all of these colors the same color (does mitsu lava red = dodge inferno red crystal)?

i am asking this because i just got my car painted and it didn't come out looking the way i expected it to.

the color i picked was:
    mitsubishi
    prj
    lava red pearl

after it was painted, the painter gave me the extra paint. the can says:
    mitsubishi
    prj
    inferno red crystal

from what i can see, inferno red crystal is the dodge color, not the mitsubishi.

the color I was expecting is:
    [​IMG]

what I got was this:
    [​IMG]

which looks a lot more like this color:
    [​IMG]

After I saw the website I linked to above, I was wondering if the paint shop had messed up and gave me the dodge color and it was different from the mitsubishi color, or if the dodge and mitsu colors are the same and the color just looks different on my car.

any thoughts? thanks for the help.

2. Two different colors, two different mixing formulas.
    You got the Dodge color.
    The PRJ is a coincidence....even though Chrysler and Mitsu work together on some things....just a DUMB coincidence

3. 56Sedan

56Sedan

Some modern colors have different variations. Even tho the name is the same sometimes different batches come out in different shades.
    Your best bet would be to look at paint chip books in your local paint store, or if you see a modern car with a color you like get the code off that.
    Also pearls, candies etc and alot of new cars use a tri-coat system, where you have base in one color a translucent color with the metallic then the clear. If not done with the correct base it'll be a different color than the chip, etc..

4. 29moonshine

29moonshine

the air pressure at the gun will change the out come of the color on metalic paint. if it is a 3 stage paint the color of the base makes a diffrence

5. duwty

duwty

your paint jobber should ask for your paint code, make, model, year, and your vin#
    just to make sure its right
    but as said above, different spray methods yeild different results

6. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

man, this really sucks. the car is my daily driver. its been off the road now for 8 weeks. paint had it for 6 weeks. i've already started reassembly b/c I need to start driving it again.

so, this is the paint shops fault, right? I gave them the manufacturer and the code - what more was I supposed to do?

if there a way to confirm they gave me the wrong thing based on these numbers?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a really crappy situation - i cringe at the idea of getting the car painted again, but I'm not totally happy with the color. its gonna take me the next year to pay off the paint job. i feel like the paint shop should give me some sort of compensation for this mistake, even if I dont' get the vehicle repainted. is this out of line?

thanks for the help everyone.

7. belair

belair

I like your choice better than what you got, but I think you are stuck with what you have. On the other hand, being stuck with a neat little Chevy II isn't a bad thing. Maybe the redder color will grow on you.

8. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i'm no help here , but i will say i like that nova !!

9. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

thanks, i'll post some more pics at some point, once I start to get things a little more together

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Wow, thats a freaky situation. I have to put the blame on the painter or bodyshop. Unless of course you said I want color PRJ and thats it. If the code happened to be the same for your red and another black would he have shot the car black?

11. 56Sedan

56Sedan

Chromabase! The paint shop prob didn't use the right color under the Chromabase. I don't have much experience with Chroma, but I've heard that you need to use a 'like colored' primer to ensure you get the color you want.
    Chromabase is really thin and transparent.

12. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

well, I asked for mitsubishi, PRJ, lava red.

no body shop to go after, we did the body work in my garage. the painter painted the car at his home. i don't feel like I can blame him - it wasn't like he was color matching or anything. he just had the I info I gave him to go on.

13. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

maybe that's what happened. i'm pretty sure gray primer was used.

14. butch27

butch27

Hey: The car is pretty and the paint job looks good. You'll come to love it.

15. You could blame it on the paint store, but at best, you might get another gallon of paint for free.

16. 29 de soto

29 de soto

i,m pretty sure that inferno red is a tri-coat,but dupont offers a 2 stage alternate,also there are many variance chips,colors may have up to 10 or more alternates.also the label says aprox. match.the best way to avoid this in the future is do a quick spray out panel with the right value shade sealer and see if its what your looking for .i can enter the formula monday and check mfg.code vs.dupont code and see if there is anything that may help you futher...

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

There's about 25 Inferno Red and variances on it. I show at least 10 in 2007-2008 alone. Whenever I order paint I go by the code like you did, except I use the PPG code which is always unique. I always double check the name of the color as well as the year and make to be sure.

Since there is no bodyshop, I'd blame whoever ordered the paint unless you gave him minimal information.

18. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

This saga brings to lite a common problem, even today with much
    higher paint colour standards ,than in the past: Paint codes and the
    names given to them DO NOT GUARANTEE an exacting match.
    It falls on the skill or the paint store tech., and the painter himself
    to judge whether he has the correct base and colour to produce the
    desired finish. This presupposes he has an actual match to work from
    and not just a colour code/name. Always insist on a drawdown card
    (a sample panel shot on metal) ,that will remove all doubt the colour
    is correct for the job. Picking colours from a book only, is about like
    computer dating, ya never know what you'll wind up with.
    That's a good lookin' Chevrolet, but the base colour looks a bit to
    deep to even begin to carry off that top coat. If you do wind up re-
    shooting the vehicle, align that left front fender first!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

19. brandon

brandon

thats where the value shade deal comes into play.... lighter will sometimes brighten up the color ...and take more coats to cover... a good example of this is the old house of color charts....same color shown over 2 different bases.....looks nice in the pics.....i'd roll with it.... brandon:D

20. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

ive been shooting chroma for years, and some of the reds are pretty translucent. i would have used a clean, bright, white paint as a base before the red was laid down. i wouldnt fault the paint shop, they just mixed what the recipe called for, not what was in your head. lighting and background can change the appearance of photographed colors too.