Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painted bumpers and Grille

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FIFTY2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

Tell me what you guys think, I had to paint my bumper and grille because I cant afford to get them replated right now. Is this passable? Or should I rip em off and wait for Chrome?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I think that paint sure beats the heck out of peeling or rusted chrome. I plan on doing the same only going with silver paint instead.

3. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

the old chorme or the chrome striped off would look alot better looks like you got some nice paint the painted bumpers suck. striped off chrome with the bumper bolts shaved gives the look of whats to come a big plus in my book . the painted bumpers is shit they did in the 80's , and to me looks like a after thought or a what the fuck sorry lose the paint!!!!!!

4. teddyp

teddyp

I think painted silver would look better i was looking at chevy,s of the 40.s site and they have chome i peice bumpers for under 400.00 thats a good deal your coupe looks great and a love the color on it

5. take them off.

6. Hal_396

Hal_396

Painted bumpers are OK for the drag strip. The rest of your car is to nice for the painted bumper. This of course is my opinion. Better to drive it around with a painted bumper than leave it sit in the garage unil you can get them re-chromed.

7. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Mine are painted silver and they look surprisingly good.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I painted mine silver till I could afford the chrome. I don't care for the dark color. It really distracts from the rest of the car.

9. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i'm definitely with the others on this, , , it takes away from how nice the color looks on that car,,,if you have to paint them until you can afford chrome, at least paint them silver,,,,,

10. Silver for now.
    If your going with the stock grille I'd 'go for gold' eventually with one- piece bumpers & show chroming. They will tie in nicely with the nice nosed hood & tidy rear.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  11. Good lookin' car...at least paint the bumpers silver until you can afford to get 'em chromed

12. El Bombero

El Bombero

There is no good option to replace chrome. I agree with the silver. I have done it in the past. I try to find the lightest silver I can.

Mike

13. That was a seventy's thing along with Flattened Paint and bad Body Work when the cost of the hobby was just begining to get out of control. Thank You E.P.A. It looked Cheep then and it makes your otherwise nice Chevy look Cheep now. Today we understand you can't alwayse do it all at once and it's acceptable. Loose the Black, run with your less than perfict bright work and enjoy your car, No excauses necessary.
    The Wizzard

14. Dads-53

Dads-53

I sold paint for 30 years but silver rattle can would look better than that dark color you have on it now.Don

15. FatDave

FatDave

You should paint your headlight bezels black and adopt a 'no chrome policy'

16. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Personally, I don't like the black. I've tried multiple "chrome" paints on pot metal parts and I'm not happy with the look...just too much difference from chrome and I think chrome paint/silver paint would detract also from the car. My preference is to steel wool off the rust and leave what chrome is there. It looks more correct.

I will add the normal caveat though. It's your car so please yourself first.

17. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Paint the same color as the car!

18. Squablow

Squablow

I would rather have some half-ass used chrome bumpers and grille than painted ones, especially black painted, I'm not fond of painted bumpers at all. The black painted trim in the picture really makes the car look cheap. Silver might look a little better but still cheap.

19. Kerry67

Kerry67

Ugh.......Yuck.

20. skullhat

skullhat

i tend to agree, paint them silver, and people will know what direction you are headed.

skull

21. If they were body color I could squint and they'd be rolled pans. If some sort of silver paint I could squint and they'd be chrome. But they are black and I don't like them.

22. Zombie Plymouth

Zombie Plymouth

not really feeling the black bumper...

23. mtpockits

mtpockits

someone photo shop it this way you will like it.

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

maybe if it was 1993 :rolleyes:

25. sinks88

sinks88

Its your car, not anyone elses....if you feel you need others opinions to make you feel better about the car, your in it for the wrong reason. do what feels right, if you really wanted chrome, then soemday, you will be able to get it re-chromed....screww what others think...its not thier car, and if you open yourself up to that sort of thing, your car will never be perfect.

thats why I will never ask what the hambers think about my ride, they prolly would rip my ass apart, but to me it doesnt matter, its mine, and I drive it like its slolen! and what I do to it is what I do...not what some other guy half way across america thinks...

just my view! Do with it what you want! and Drive it like its Hot!

26. roddinron

roddinron

I'd rather have some cleaned up bad chrome, or paint them silver, but not chrome paint. Chrome paint looks cheap, a nice metallic silver really doesn't look too bad.
    Or, if you're good with an airbrush you could do one of those faux chrome paint jobs they run on the funny cars.:D
    And there's nothing wrong with asking for suggestions or opinions, I've seen a lot of cars where the owner could have benefited by a little input.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  27. 61TBird

61TBird

Why stop there?
    Paint your wheels Red and call it done....:eek::D:D

28. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Carb cleaner will take that black paint right off.

29. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

There is nothing wrong with asking for opinions. Sometimes it takes someone mentioning what might look better, for the person to stand back and think, yeah, maybe that would look better so I'll give it a try.

When building my car I had a few different headlight options that I was thinking about. Posted a few, got some other ideas and in the long run I decided what I liked best but it was still "fun" to ask others opinions. Kinda gets everyones creative juices flowing.

30. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

so lets see some pics of bumpers painted silver. i need to rechrome also but don't have the cash right now. was thinking about sanding them down and clearing them, but open to silver paint as a temp solution.