Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical paint the inside of a bell housing; yes or no???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Jan 9, 2022.

1. atch

atch

Thanx man. I guess no one will see it after it's under the car but I got a kick out of doing it.

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@atch
    I have enjoyed reading this thread, its amazing what people will respond to and the reasons why ! Now first of all, bravo to you for choosing to paint the inside of the bell-housing, and bravo to the choice of color as well.

White makes a great canvas to do some artistic embellishment for absolutely no reason at all, other than to have some fun, in an area that no one will ever see, other than the photos you post of it here !

On a more serious note, from a true, serious, smart-ass ( me ) that loves to state the obvious, here are a few suggestions as to what to write, as a note on the inside painted surface, of that cool bell-housing.

1. The obvious of course, your name and date, and contact number in case its lost or stolen. ( Grin )

2. Use a stencil and in big block letters in red, write MARINE USE ONLY
    3. Use a stencil and write in big block letters, " FOR DISPLAY PURPOSES ONLY "
    4. Use a stencil and write " KENNETH ROBERT HOWARD PROTOTYPE "
    5. Use a stencil and write " THIS SIDE UP " and add an arrow pointing the other direction !

Okay, that is enough suggestions for you, I think you get the idea.
    Have fun and be creative !

loudbang, Greenblade, SS327 and 2 others like this.
  3. atch

atch

Thanx. I've got a couple of friends who do pinstriping. One lives within an hour or so but the other lives in Oklahoma, about an 8 hour drive away. Maybe I can get the closer one to pinstripe it; inside and out.

I might not be able to find them but I have a set of paint pens. I might use the black one to write something inside.

I like the " KENNETH ROBERT HOWARD PROTOTYPE " suggestion. It would be the closest thing I'll ever come to having something "by" him.

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

Name, date, and "Paint by H.A.M.B. suggestion" inside.

Would be a hoot in 15 years, or for whom ever the next guy that pulls it off to see.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  5. SS327

SS327

In the top of the bell. Do not use under any circumstances, PROTOTYPE ONLY!
    Or, If you can read this it’s already too late!

427 sleeper and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. atch

atch

So here is the bellhousing with the T-10 attached:

20220128_154814.jpg

20220128_154824.jpg
    20220128_154835.jpg
    20220128_154923.jpg

Note: I've taken the tranny and bellhousing apart; it was only together for the photo op. My friend Bill will be pinstriping the bellhousing soon. I won't tell him what I want. Whatever he does will be just fine with me.

I've spent the better part of 2 days moving enough "stuff" around to get out the 425 nailhead that will go in front of this. It looks just the same as it did 20 some years ago when my late friend Johnny and I pulled out of the 1964 Wildcat convertible. It's scheduled for complete going through soon.

In the last photo, at the far right, you can see the rear wheel, some of the body, the front left wheel, and the front 4-bars of the '31 Model A sedan that will be receiving these pieces.

loudbang, 427 sleeper and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. Hang on to that TH400. Even if it is a 64 (non SP), those cases are getting harder to come by.

8. atch

atch

My plan right now is to keep it indefinitely. I'm 70 years old and have had clutches in trucks and motorcycles all my life but it's been over 30 years since I've had a car (DD or hot rod) with a clutch. The trucks were only used for occasional short hauls and obviously bikes don't require the left leg for clutching. I might get tired of clutching/shifting a car everywhere I go. It's not unusual for us to be 1,000 miles from home in Clarence (avatar) and will be in the Model A also. If my left knee gets to be like my right knee I won't be able to push a clutch anyway. So there might come a day when I need that T400. My wife or children can sell the T400 after I'm gone.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  9. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could include in there a reference (url) to this thread! Imagine a future owner opening it up in 20 years time and following the link to a discussion between a bunch of old guys most of whom will be long gone by then!

Chris

427 sleeper and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  10. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Not here in Hawaii...even the lava rocks rot away.
    Besides I like paint!

plus one on the Glyptal

iu-21.jpeg