Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint stripping options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shoebox72, Oct 16, 2003.

1. shoebox72

shoebox72

The paint on my 51 Chevy is cracking and lifting in alot of places and I'd like to strip it down a panel at a time. I'm shying away from using chemical strippers as I don't have running water at my garage. I'd like to use some kind of attachment for my angle grinder. Can someone recommend something? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Billy

2. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

3M makes EXCELLENT stripping pads for die grinders. It took about 6 pads total for my coupe. They are black and look like they have metal shavings in them. They take layers of paint/primer and also surface rust right off. Very handy.............................Briggs

ps, 3M also makes pads that look like the red scotch brite pads for a die grinder. They work well for getting that little bit of surface rust off after the bare metal has sat for a few weeks/months

3. shoebox72

shoebox72

Thanks man, I'll check them out.

Billy

4. DrDano

DrDano
    Alliance Vendor

I used a wire wheel and a flap disk in my angle grinder. Worked great, just need to keep moving and not let the panel get too hot.

5. autocol

autocol

i'll second the wire-wheel-on-the-angle-grinder vote...

i don't have running water in my shed either, but i found that, while slightly messy, using chemical stripper AND the wire wheel on the angle grinder was extremely effective! the time you save is greater than the time it would take to clean it up, i reckon...

6. daddylama

daddylama

i second the 3M stripping pads... they rock. Most industrial suppliers carry them... occasionally see them at my local hardware store, too...
    Get the black ones... they have 'em in sizes for die grinders, angle grinders, or even a drill (takes forever with a drill)
    and wear a GOOD mask, and make sure it's not leaking around the edges... ive already done a number on my lungs from shit like that...