Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SwitchBlade327, Sep 6, 2003.

1. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

OK here we go,

Flakin' the roof, dash, and Interior garnish moldings on the 60 Catalina, and putting a candy blue over it, so how much clear should i buy? Gonna do heavy flake with the big bass boat shit. THe place I"m ordering my stuff from sells it by the quart and I wanna order all the stuff for the roof from one place to somplify things if possible.

ANyone know what color blue that is on Donnie's 60 Invicta on the imperial customs site? that's the exact color of candy i need. Oriental Blue or Cobalt Blue?

2. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

oh yeah, is one quart of kandy enough to do all that? I'm gonna get the pre-made stuff if i don't have to get a shitload of it just to keep things simple. I never had to buy the shit myself so i have no idea how much of anything to get. One quart of basecoat enough for that shit too? This is gonna drive me nuts and i know I'll think of more later. I basically just need to know how much i need to get of everything i need besides the flake....jeez....

3. lownslow

lownslow

hey man
    the blue is oriental blue.......or asian american blue .......about the clear hard to say without seeing the layout etc.....at best guess 1.5 gallons ????? not really sure........though.....isnt there a local place to buy this stuff from ??? where you can just go get more when ya need rather than order it ?

4. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

well I was gonna try to use all HOK stuff for all this fancy shit (if i can afford to), and theres no one around here that sells it that's not about an hour away. This one site prices don't seem too bad to me, but hell if i know what a good price is, it was the cheapest site i found. what do you mena without seeing the layout? no layout, just doing it all solid base, then flake then covered in candy.

These prices sounds ok?
    BCO2-Orion Silver base Qt-$24.54
    UK04-Oriental Blue Urethane Kandy Qt-$29.92
    UC35-Clear Qt-$24.65

5. lownslow

lownslow

oh i thought originally you were gonna do panels and stuff...then i would say a gallon of clear......maybe about 2 qts of base and that MAY be enough candy but i would hate to run out in the middle plus you will want some to practice with too. better get 2 quarts......dont forget the reducers and shit.........try www.autobodydepot.net and check the prices there i know they sell by the gallon too.........well dude i just came in from work been at since 7 am this morning. gotta get showered and get to bed so i can do it again tomorrow.......i will check this thread tomorrow at some point....... : [​IMG]

6. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

the simplest way would be to buy the kandy intensifier and add it to clear.that way you wont have to buy two quarts to be sure of enough candy.its cheaper too.kandy intensifier is just concentrated pure colour,you mix it into the clear and can make the candy as strong or weak as you want.i did this and was happy with it.

7. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

[ QUOTE ]
    try www.autobodydepot.net and check the prices there i know they sell by the gallon too.........well dude i just came in from work been at since 7 am this morning. gotta get

[/ QUOTE ]

The autobodydepot.net is the online service for the Tri-City Autobody Supply store here in San Diego. Good folks with good prices. They bring in HOK reps all the time for demos and workshops. I went to an airbrushing clinic there a few months ago that was put on by Craig Frasier.

8. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

their site was cheaper than the place I was looking at for everythign except the flake. I still have to try to cut the cost some though if i wanna be able to afford to paint the rest of the body. Gonna try to figure up how much it'll cost to make up my own kandy like mentioned above instead of buying it pre-made. Maybe look into some other clears too, but from what I've been told $100 a gallon is about how much it all costs around here. other than those two things i don't think i can skimp on the other stuff.

9. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

The HOK intensifier cost me $80 aus. for a small tin (200 ml) this is enough to make up at least 2 gallons of candy,thats probably about $30 US.just add your clear cost to this, and its definitely less than a hundred..
    hope this helps.

10. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

looks like I'm just going to hold off on the kandy. with the money situation I think it's better to stay on the safe side than to blaze into the kandy and end up screwing it up. After i have the car wrapped up I"ll buy some small quantities of different kandies and experiment. Thanks for the info guys.