Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niterunner71, Dec 3, 2010.

1. niterunner71

niterunner71

Anyone ever used HOK Kandy Basecaots before? I believe these are sprayed over a solid color base but not for sure. I found a color I really like and was thinking of buying some and sprying it on my 40s dash.

2. 54chebby

54chebby
    BANNED
    from Ohio

HOK Kandy's are sprayed over a base coat. HOK has like 11-12 basecoats that will make one Kandy color a hundred different colors. You shoot a basecoat, then the Kandy, then clear it. I've used there Kandy colors and there metallic line. They're a bit pricier than other products but the results show why. They lay down real nice. If you've never sprayed a "kandy" paint before be VERY careful they will tiger stripe on you or get blotchy or both because it's transparent. The more you put on the darker it gets. Good luck !

3. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

54 Read the directions and do!!! the stuff is the most user friendly stuff....... but it costs big dough...... but well worth it for the finished quality ! Jon always did his homework!!!

4. I thought that shit was just PPG with a different label.

5. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

owned by valspar ..

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

OK, I've used HOK for over 30 years, most of their products.
    Kandy basecoat is a base/clear paint. The colors match the company's "real" Kandy colors, without the difficulty of spraying a 3 step process.
    The problem I have with it, is it does NOT look like candy apply paint. No way, no how! Not that they are nice choice of colors...they do not have the true depth of finish, and translucency of a candy paint, because they are NOT.
    To answer your queston, they are recommended to be sprayed over a white base, but doing it over a clean light grey primer or sealer will work with all but the lightest colors.
    They are not transparent, so you will not see any metallics under them if sprayed over a metallic color, they are not meant to be painted like that. Only real candy is.
    I recently sprayed a panel with Kandy basecoat Pagan Gold, next to real Pagan gold, over a silver Orion base. I can post pics, perhaps tonight, so you can see the difference.

7. niterunner71

niterunner71

thanks for your advice. i am still debating on using it or not. i am a good ways away from paint right now so i will most likely change my mind. a painter guy i know was gonna spray the car for me when its ready i was kinda just wanting to experiment with it and see what i could do.