Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical PAINT QUESTION

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, Oct 23, 2017.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Have done a little painting and limited knowledge. I want to paint a small instrument panel that has been chrome plated; is this an application where self etching primer would be used or is chrome to hard. My plan is to scuff up the chrome with 80 grit first ,self etching primer if applicable and the K 36 on top, is it necessary to seal the etching primer before applying the K 36?

2. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Rustoleum makes a non porous primer for surfaces like glass or chrome that IIRC is fish oil based and never dries completely which doesn't seem to affect the top coat. Have had good luck with it painting windows albeit many years ago. On bumpers we have used fine abrasive in the blaster to give a grainy surface for the primer which works well but one has to be careful not to get the chrome peeling up. I don't know if etch primer will actually etch chrome.

loudbang likes this.
  3. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

There is a guy on YouTube called the Gunman who has some informative and entertaining videos on automotive painting. Here is a video he did on painting chrome: