Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint question for the model builders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by waldo53, Apr 27, 2013.

1. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

My grandson just got interested in building car models. He loves it but there is a problem - he's very sensitive to chemicals, has asthma that is
    under control, but every time he paints on his car he feels awful.

So far I've been doing any spray painting for him but he's going to want to do that for himself very soon. So:

What kind of paint should he be using, both spray and in a bottle.

Would a paint mask help in this case? If so, what kind?

He's been painting in his room (with a brush) and I'm sure that is part of the problem, he's going to have to take his work outside or maybe into the garage.

Any other suggestions, tips, advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I was thinking of those water based paints that they sell at Arts and Crafts stores. Buy him a air brush so he can spray the paint. The paint normally used for models has strong odor that even bothers me so I paint out in the garage with all the doors open for good ventilation and I don't have asthma nor I am sensitive to the paint chemicals.
    I really think a water based paint will be the best bet even though it may not have same "look" as standard paint, your grandson's health is way more important.

3. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

I always have ideas:rolleyes: and my first though was my sandblaster cabinet with the vacuum running, just trying to help and think out side of the box:D

4. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

5. 61 chevy

61 chevy

sometimes there are things you shouldn't do, painting may be bad for him, good luck

6. n847

n847

Water based paints help...but don't eliminate the problem. A good friend in highschool had this problem. His dad built us a small spray booth. It was made from plywood, had a small window fan pulling air out, and also a hook up on the top for a shop vac to suck air out, and the problems went away. He also had a small work bench in the garage that his dad decked out to get him out of his bed room. Hope this helps. I also recomend buying a respirator mask. I'm not sure how to find a smaller one. But even the Harbor freight model works, if it fits! Just get the ones with the replaceable cartridges.

7. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Thanks for all the tips guys. I really appreciate it. I like the mini-spray booth idea, I wonder if a desk-top version would work. Four plywood sides, a couple of holes for his hands to go through, a glass top, and an exhaust fan that vents outside...........

I'll be looking into the acrylic paints, they should be a lot better.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

At the very least go out to Harbor Freight and get him an inexpensive resperator mask. Being asthmatic myself I can certainly understand how bad it can be, (this week especially, again!) and I wish someone would have encouraged me to wear one and protect my breathing back when I was his age. As long as he understands that it is something he has to wear when he paints it'll save him all sorts of breathing hell in the future.

9. mikes51

mikes51

There is a mail order company, Micro Mart I think that sells all sorts of hobby items. I'm sure I saw a complete desktop size spray booth with exhaust system in it. (disregard that Micro Mark comment, they are way expensive. Google "hobby spray booth" and there are some others for just over a hundred bucks)

I just started experimenting with water based acrylics with an old single action air brush. I would say the final look is very good, especially the pearls. Here's a model I sprayed. I think with some practice, you could get pretty good brushing on these pearls.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good info here

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As mentioned... move to the garage, build a small workbench / spray booth with good lighting and a good fan to duct fumes outdoors if possible... and that includes all the bad vapors from all the modern adhesives, cleaners, etc. I'd start him on all the new waterbased paints, too, but he'll need an airbrush setup and compressor to spray the stuff. I don't think they come in aerosol cans yet. My high school workbench was a discarded unfinished el-cheap-o desk. Old dresser drawers are also handy for storage and if you take the drawers out and add some masonite you have el-cheap-o shelving. My favorite work bench is a hollow core door supported by two old 2-drawer filing cabinets. And add a decent power strip so you don't have extension chords all over the place. Have fun!!!! Gary

12. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

Yeah, I checked out their spray booths and they are REALLY expensive. I'll keep searching but I think I could build one for pretty cheap.

Man, that chopper is COOL!!!!

13. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

I've got an airbrush and compressor I think I'll just donate to the cause. I like the old dresser idea, garage sale season is right around the corner!

My workbench in the shop is a solid-core door mounted to the wall. It's STOUT.

Thanks for the info

14. Tamiya acrylics are pretty, they thin well with denatured alcohol. Model Master Acryl doesn't work as well and you have to use their thinner, which is not always available.

I have asthma too, I use lacquers (House of Kolor's Black Gold, Duplicolor) and paint everything outside regardless of the temperature. I just keep the wind to my back as I paint.

Bob

15. FenixSpeedShop

FenixSpeedShop

The HF masks are not imitation masks, they are Garson brand that's been in the paint business for years. They are sized small, medium and large. Try the small one first and for the price its worth a try.

16. mikes51

mikes51

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I also saw in the google search page "paint booth plans" .

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013