Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paint Question..anyone use Kirker candy paint before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TRAVEZ, Mar 21, 2007.

1. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

just wondering..i saw a car with a killer color that i would like to put on my car. i was wondering about quality. i can get the whole shooting match for like $300. thanks!

_travis

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I plan on shooting my roadster with the kirker B/C im not a big fan of candy's the pearls are a lot eaisier to shoot. I did buy kirker epoxy and hi fil primers for the roadster but i havent purchased the paint yet..
    Dave

3. 31aBoy

31aBoy

With paints, you get what you pay for. I've only used it once about a year ago. The customer had all his own supplies, Kirker brand. It wasn't the candy color. The only reason we used it was because it was for an old horse carriage we were restoring.

At the shop we use PPG paints, which is one of the best, but expensive as hell. I would look into PPG's Omni line of paints. It's there cheaper line. But the quality is there. Just my 2 cents.

4. I've shot it and love it.
    The guys at Kirker are doing there best to gain a foothold in automotive finishes.
    They've been making paint for over 100 years.
    To give you an idea how focused they are on customer service...I called about a particular color scheme I had in mind and their thoughts on what bases and candies I could use.
    The next day, Fedex shows up at the shop with a Box from Kirker.
    I open it to find enough material to shoot some test panels and a note from the guy I talked with on the phone.
    I've been shooting their paint every chance I get.
    Keep in mind, you can blend the candies to get the tint you want.
    My shop blend actually ended up on their new color charts about a month later so now I just call and ask for my paint.

Not a paid endorsement, just a very satisfied customer.
    Time will tell how well it holds up.

5. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I use Kirker paints and primers. I never shot the candy colors.
    Nothing bad to say about them. PPG has went to the freaken moon with there prices. We have one shop here in town that handles a few brands and the last time I compared they were about $300 cheaper than PPG for the same setup and that was for RM paint.
    If I can find Kirker in the color I want I use it. I bought some Rasberrypearl and it was pink looking. Nothing close to the paint chips.

6. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

thanks for the replies everyone, i think i might look into it. i have been trying to look for a orange candy and the one they carry is really close to what i'm looking for. i'm not crazy about the candies as far as paint life and durability. if i could find a similar color in non candy that would be better. i think the orange that they put on the prowler a couple of years ago would work also. maybe that color and some gold pearl in it.

_T