Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint mixing guru advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadbill, Aug 24, 2019.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Can a metallic paint color that is mixed without the metallic, which I assume would be a separate component, retain most/all of the other characteristics of said paint? Does the metallic component add anything other than a reflective ‘sparkle’ or vibrancy to the paint.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  2. Yes the metallic changes the way a colour will look.

3. Completely changes

You can add silver metallic to red and you’re not going to get red metallic,,, you’re going to get vibrant pink

Texas Webb and loudbang like this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I'm assuming you are looking at having something mixed, leaving out the metallic. If so, have the supplier mix the smallest amount they can, if you really want to see what it will look like.

loudbang likes this.

5. spanners

spanners

If I remember correctly, when we used to mix paints, metallics always had a bit of black tinter as well to tone down the lightening effect of the metalflake. Something like Copper bronze without the metallic would probably come out a dirty brown.

6. alchemy

alchemy

We did a bit of evil scientist chemistry trying to match some unknown paint code once. Found a similar color, but it had too much metallic. When we left out about half the metallic it was very surprising how much darker the paint was. I think we ended up adding something else to make up for the missing "light".

7. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

But the metallic itself doesn’t necessarily add or subtract from the sprayability of the paint? What I have is a gallon of Omaha Orange that I want to add some silver metallic to. But I don’t want to make it look metal flake-like with courser reflective metallic. I guess I asked my original question backasswards. I guess I’ll try it with a small amount first...see if I like it

8. What do you mean by sprayablilty? A metallic will require different spray techniques when spraying compared to a solid as you have to worry about getting it sprayed out with an even distribution of the metallic. It also won't be Omaha Orange anymore once you add the metallic.

9. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Thank you.

10. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I mixed a dark blue metallic for a Ford truck once. The mix called for 5 different silver/poly (metallic) toners. I wanted something with a bit more sparkle so I substituted coarse poly (one with larger flecks) for all of the other silvers. The color came out much lighter than I expected, more of a bright blue than a dark blue. Several people who saw it called it Hawaiian Blue. I loved the color so it was not an issue but I sure would not have guessed that there would have been that much difference only changing the finer flecks of metallic for a coarser one. The total amount of silver/poly was less than 10% of the entire mix.

11. I am the furthest thing from a automotive paint guru as your likely to find but I can assure you omitting the metallic component from the formula will definitely make a huge impact on the color, this is not what I think, having done it I was very disappointed with the outcome. HRP

12. slowmotion

slowmotion

If you have a decent paint supplier near you, get them to do some spray out cards for you. Little things in the recipe make a BIG difference. Silver vs gold metallic in orange for example, will be worlds apart.:eek:

Just Gary likes this.