Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint ? kirker ULTRA-LOCKMetallic Control Additive / Basecoat Converter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Anybody ever use this ?

Better link

http://www.kirkerautomotive.com/html/ultra-lock.html

(About mid page here)

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/kirker/acrylic-urethanes.html

Here's why I'm asking- finally picked a color for a project and its 785.00 a gallon for the base. Plus 200 quart for second color . Plus clear . Its not that nice of a project !!!

I found nearly identical colors at summit in single stage AU for 100 a gallon and 20 a quart roughly. Two tone and SS isn't a good decision and I always get at least one dirt, baggers or orange peal in a SS job. Not a big deal because they are solid & get rubbed ..... BUT ....these are metalics so that's not going to happen.

Says it converts SS to a base coat , locks metalics and pearls, eliminates modeling & that needs cleared. Perfect right?

Oh yea summit paint is kirker product under private lable

That product would solve lots of problems and save me a boat load of $$.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

I used kirker ultra glo hugger orange acrylic urethane on a 72 blazer and loved it,its going on 3 years in the sun and no fade and covered right away.previously i used ppg omni hugger orange and it took 4 passes to cover ,yeah i didnt value shade with the omni but i didnt value shade with the kirker either.I like the Kirker paint myself ,not a real fan of their fil primer,it has alot of shrinkage use spi for that,kirker epoxy seems real good.I have never used ultra lock yet but wouldnt be afraid to. Not a real fan of spraying there clear cant seem to keep orange peel out of it but the paint lays flat and has alot of depth without clear.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. I liked the paint ive got from kirker in the past and the paint from summit too.

I'm specifically asking about the ULTRA-LOCK metallic control base coat converter

4. henry29

henry29

I have never used it, but I have seen it used.

The car was driven daily for two years after it was painted, it still looked the same with no clear peeling off the last time I seen it.

Looked like it sprayed just like base coat.

5. Roger53

Roger53

I've used it on there silver met. For the out side And heres my but I jamed with out it first and then did the car. I 'll do with out it on the next one. I don.t think it's worth the cost.I feel the paint went on great with out it. And the same as someone else said on there clear little orange peely. Overall I give there paint a thumbs up. Roger

6. buy a small amount and try it. paint under the hood, trunk or door jambs and see how you like it. the problem i had with kirker was not the durability, it was the coverage. i think the way they get the price down is to skimp on pigments, so you HAVE to match the primer to the color.

7. Yea probably, the kirker color is speced for white sealer under coat.

I do plan on trying some, just looking for some feed back on the product.

1400.00 for base coat alone is kinda nuts for a driver.
    If it works I'll be in at 200.00 for the base coat.

8. i painted kirker yellow with a light gray primer. but i had touched up a couple spots with a dark gray primer. after three coats of color that wouldn't cover the dark gray i had to shoot over the spots with a light gray and then repaint. i did not save money.

9. Uniform sealer coat or undercoat is nice with most paints, necessary with some , and imperative with others.

Some of those kirker colors are speced out with different color under coats.

Most spray out cards have white, lt gray, dark gray, and black so it makes a huge difference. Yellow probably more than most. Sometimes looking at a OEM yellow you can almost see thru it- weird.

10. learned my lesson, fortunately, it was a snow plow for a friend, but i wanted it nice.
    i painted twenty two steel drums for a junior high band [for free] and cringed when they showed up with two gallons of donated kirker red paint. i got the paint supplier to donate red primer and it came out fine. still have the tape, of the bands concert, the music teacher gave me for my effort.

11. Olyspud

Olyspud

I painted my wife's '31 pickup with Kirker (My first paint job), and it turned out OK. The faults with the paint job were with my inexperience rather than any problem with the product. I did this in 2006 and it's still holding up well even though the car is a driver, not a trailer queen.

Attached Files:

12. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I usually only paint 1 car a year so the best that I can do is sweep & tarp up the garage. With that in mind using single stage paints generally means less coats. With bc/cc your looking at at least 6 or 7 coats of paint/clear where SS you may be able to get away with 3 with good paint. Your going to get dirt & junk in the paint, its inevitable, but putting on half as many coats surely cuts it down.

13. the nice thing about the ULTRA-LOCK product, if it works, is you could paint door jambs and underbody stuff as a single stage, and then mix in the additive for the outer sheet metal and clear it. please let us know how it works.

14. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Heres my 1956 Buick Wagon painted with Kirker single stage Acrylic Urethane Viper Red, and Arctic White. Painted the whole Wagon White first and then the Red over the White. Paint is now about 4 years old.
    [​IMG]

15. Up again for opinion, info & knowledge exchange

16. OK. Everyone bashful?

17. Yep, still looking for info.
    Their tech department says its great

18. your going to have to try it so WE can find out if it is any good.

19. NOOOOOO , I don't want to be a Guinea pig! Nooooob :(

I think your right. I'll order it tomorrow.
    Hopefully I'll squirt it next Monday

20. OK should get it tomorrow

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I didn't use BC/CC, but I did spend a whopping $80 on a gallon Kirker single stage, hardner, and reducer to paint my '76 GMC Dually. The gallon covered the whole truck, minus the inside of the box, it laid down pretty well, certainly well enough for a beater/shop truck, and looks great yet after setting outside all summer. I'm happy, and REALLY happy with the price!

Brian

22. OK, got the ultra lock metallic control base converter and I really love this stuff..
    Sprayed some panels with the summit ss paint out of the can without the ultra lock and its really nice.
    Then I sprayed some with the summit ss paint and the ultra lock and its awesome.

I'll up date with more details later but this stuff is the cats ass