Register now to get rid of these ads!

paint job price ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shitbox2, Jul 20, 2010.

1. shitbox2

shitbox2

my buddys dad that paints for a living gave me a price quote of about 7 grand for my 48 pontiac to be painted...now that would be from baremetal wich the car is in now to finished paint... Is this a reasonable quote or should i look around.....

thanks eric

2. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

... best way to answer is the following quote...

How long is a rope?

you need to give WAY more info, pics.. condition of body, what you expect, what materials you would like used and so on....

3. blt2go

blt2go

depends on the body work involved to get it to paint. 7 sounds pretty darn good for minimal body work, primer, blocking, sealing and painting.

4. John Denich

John Denich

Yup thats a good price....anything less than 10k for body and paint is good....that is if the work is good!

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

depends on the work, but is car is bare metal, bare and metal finished with minimal filler or??

6. SHANTZ

SHANTZ
    from Surrey

7K is pretty fair

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey E$ric,

What kinda paint, urethane w/clear coat, pearl or flake or solid colour? Multi colour job or mono?

Does his bid include some metalwork? What about major panel alignment issues?

Doesn't sound like a bad bid to me, if his work is what you know from past experience.

W.W.L.D ?

R.I.P. Larry Watson

8. Ice man

Ice man

A friend just paid $25,000 for a paint job on a 39 Packard Roadster. Its Beautiful, all black and not a ripple or a flaw. Good not cheep, Cheep not good.

9. big creep

big creep

thats why it cost 25 grand! you should see the stuff that comes out of my uncles shop! and the price too! black is the hardest to get right!

10. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I had my '32 painted by Hot Rods and Hobbies in Signal Hill. Their cheapest paint job was $8K at the time. Their "show" paint job was $15K. Now their cheapest paint job is $10K and the "show" paint job is $25K. Funny part is, a friend of mine saw my car and wanted to get his '65 Mustang painted. He went to the shop, they took one look at his car and said, "You may want to go somewhere else. We only do highend cars here!". So, he went and got a $3K paint job and it shows. All I can say is it shines, dents and all (LOL).

11. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Can we see a picture of the car in it's current condition?

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

that is our starting price. for a good car to start with. ge what ya pay for is right.

13. skullhat

skullhat

to take a car from bare metal to finished paint, 7k is a good price if it doenst need ANY body work.

we usually start around 10 for most cars, naturally there are many varibles....

also ,frequently you have problems with freinds or relatives when it comes to business, but not always.

i'd say, if hes doing the job with high end materials, and doing all the steps, thats a good bid........

let us see the car when its done, and i can tell ya for sure, lol

skull

14. choptvan

choptvan

7k should be close. As stated. Bare metal prep is a bitch. Depending. Dents. Rust. how was the paint removed. Metal etch. A lot of things to consider.

15. Do you want it to look great, or do you just want paint on it?

You can find guys who will do it for less, but you might get no, or low quality body work if it needs it. If you can do prep yourself, that will cut the costs some. But paint is labor, paint, labor, labor, and more labor. That's why they're so expensive.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

just because the price is high does not mean that it is good. need to ask lots of details as to exactly what will be done, brand of materials to be used, etc. I am a low budget guy that has some really nice driver paint jobs done for around $1,800 at local Maaco amd Miracle paint shops. as with any paint job prep is the key. do any work that you can, even just prepping door jams to keep price down. do not just drop it off and never check on it. get the color you want, don't just say you want it black, or whatever. There are a lot of different blacks, whites, etc. take your time to get the best deal for the type of finished paint job that you want.

17. buzz4041

buzz4041
    from Texas

I would bet that is for laying down the paint only. If it includes body work and panel alignment he will most likey loose his ass and will be using inferior products to boot. It all depends on what you expect when it done. Straight as an arrow and smooth panels cost money.

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Best and most accurate response yet!

Brian

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Like was said so many variables to deal with. But never fear, 29nash will be along shortly to tell us how he does show quality paint jobs for $300 :eek:

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

^:p;):D.

21. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Dude, he comes on and searches his name to see where people mention him in posts.

Thanks alot!!!!! :D :D

That being said, $7K is outrageous. I'll do it for $300 and deliver it!!!!!!

In all seriousness though, $7K for bare metal up is a good price IMO.

22. Without all the info that is needed to see if 7k is in the ball park i would say its fair but if its a clean body thats bare metal and flawless no damage no need for any body work i would say its a touch high. ppl have paid more not sure why or what they are trying to prove i guess keeping up with the Jones and being a big spender is cool.:D A buddy of mine has easy 20k in just paint alone in his glass 33 coupe i think he is stupid but as long as hes happy whatever he bought the car for 35k and now has 80k in it:eek:

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I was just reading another thread about Earl Scheib closing; "I'll paint any car for $7000.00". A year ago I took my 90 Mustang LX 5.0 Hatchback into Maaco for a quote on a "factory" comparable repaint (in the same color plus clear coat); $2300.00, and I thought that was too high. I wanted to repaint the car so I could sell it. But, there was NO WAY I could have broke even, especially with all the other new parts, and things I'd just done to the car. Still have the car, still unpainted, and for sale, VERY reasonably. Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I can do a car up that will win prizes at shows, but you know that paint ain't the only thing that wins trophys. Every car that I've built and showed in the past 15 years has more than three. :D

A lot of labor, Prep, body work, that's free.,(I don't count that) but money paid out including $100 for booth rental, hmmmmmm, yep, I'll do my own using MAE for about that............ See my albums.

25. Seems very fair to me.
    The body man here at the dealership wants 7 grand to do my glass roadster and it's got no fenders.
    Yes.......it needs a bunch of prep work and a lot of dissasembly and reassembly.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010